• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 05:14 AM

The usual annual thread for reviews, thoughts and comments etc.

#2 Guest_Nick Dennis_*

Guest_Nick Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:56 PM

Great to see so many of the forum at the conference - I will post more detailed comments when I have had a chance to think a bit more...

#3 JenniferJames

JenniferJames

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 02:58 PM

WORD UP!
Just got back home.
Great to meet you all!
Going to try and have a look at google reader and animoto now (!?!)
Jen x

#4 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 04:00 PM

A personal thankyou to Chris Culpin.

Chris has been Director of the SHP throughout my involvement as a workshop leader. He has been a fantastic support, offered excellent guidance and has become someone I consider to be a friend, rather than simply a colleague or 'organiser'. Chris' appreciation and understanding of the impact of new and emerging technologies is hopefully understood by all on here but for the sake of anyone who doesn't comprehend it: SHP are one of the few subject related associations (in any subject) to have realised that there is a lot of potential in online collaborative areas. Chris acknowledged this at a very early stage, has spent a lot of time talking to us about best use of the forum for SHP follow up materials and has been brave enough to take peoples online presence as proof of their ability to lead a workshop at conferences. I personally feel that doing that was both incredibly brave but also incredibly inspiring. In doing so Chris has allowed lots of people on here to get recognition for their work, which wouldn't have happened in many other subject areas: there's a long list of members here who have now got national recognition as a result of this enlightended policy.

Thankyou Chris for everything you've done for SHP, for everything you've done in terms of linking the conference to the forum and for allowing young, up and coming teachers on this forum to have an opportunity to get involved at the conference. I hope you'll continue to be involved in the forum, at future conferences and in helping us to shape the curriculum etc. Thankyou!

#5 Guest_Nick Dennis_*

Guest_Nick Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:03 PM

I second that! Thanks, Chris. :)

#6 Gorbash

Gorbash

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:29 PM

As the latest (and possibly last!) beneficiary of Chris' willingness to allow unknown, untested 'young turks' the chance to run a workshop at SHP Conference I have to also say a MASSIVE thank you!

I enjoyed the experience immensely and know that in years to come I (like many others!) will owe Chris a debt that I will be unable to fully repay. Already windows of opportunity have been opened up to me because of Chris letting me loose.

My only fear about running a workshop was not that Dan M would turn up and build Stonehenge with the lego (sorry to disappoint!) but that I would mess up and let Chris down. Wholly irrational as I wouldn't have volunteered to run the workshop unless I knew in my own mind 110% that I could do it well but it was my only fear.

Whilst I'm looking forward now to SHP's future under Michael Riley I'm also feeling quite sad as to me (and no doubt many others!) Chris C is SHP; as its figurehead and most vocal voice.

Whilst I'm in the mood for giving out platitudes to people I'd like to thank Dan Moorhouse for supporting me, giving me guidance and (I strongly suspect!) of re-assuring people that I would be able to run the workshop properly.

Paul
Its not who I am but what I do which defines me...

#7 Guest_Nick Dennis_*

Guest_Nick Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:49 PM

Video of some bits are up on the schoolhistory.co.uk Facebook page and on youtube here and here.

Edited by Nick Dennis, 06 July 2008 - 09:17 PM.

#8 Dan Lyndon

Dan Lyndon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:55 PM

Best one yet.
Until the lion has a historian of his own, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
comptonhistory.com
blackhistory4schools.com

#9 Gorbash

Gorbash

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:59 PM

Best one yet.

Seeing you dressed as a judge with a wig most deinfitely made it for me...

(Now; where on earth is the cable to connect my phone to my laptop????)

#10 Dom_Giles

Dom_Giles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 09:19 PM

Great conference, great time, great curry.

It was fantastic to meet so many people (again), and although I only see you every two years you all make me so welcome.

I've got a lot to think about now - thank god I've got 7 weeks summer holiday coming up! :woo:

Have a great summer

Thinking is SO important Baldrick. What do YOU think?
I think thinking is SO important, my Lord.

#11 cj.ayres

cj.ayres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:46 AM

A great conference, excellent workshops and fantastic people. Very sorry I didn't make it out for the curry but heavy cold and no sleep meant I was in bed by 9.30!! Will make it next year for sure.
Would like to thank Dan Lyndon for his amazing workshop on Equino - am just on my way to school ready to start writing the new sow. Very excited! On way home will be stopping at the local war memorials to take pictures for our new year 9 project.
Apologies to Nick for the rather longer than necessary drive home from the station - you would have thought with husband being head of geography he would know where we were going.
A brilliant time had by the whole department. Roll on 2009.

Just thought did anyone go to the EISW seminar?

Edited by cj.ayres, 07 July 2008 - 06:51 AM.

#12 Dan Lyndon

Dan Lyndon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:15 AM

Many thanks CJ, I really enjoyed the workshops, it is so good to see how positive everyone is at SHP, something which makes it such a special place to be.

I look forward to seeing the pictures Gorbash, but if you wondered where your cable went .....!

Edited by Dan Lyndon, 07 July 2008 - 08:16 AM.

Until the lion has a historian of his own, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
comptonhistory.com
blackhistory4schools.com

#13 Gorbash

Gorbash

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:07 AM

I look forward to seeing the pictures Gorbash, but if you wondered where your cable went .....!

I'm sure there's a bit of innuendo in that comment somewhere Dan...!

----

CJ,

I've got Steve Illingworth's handouts from the EWIS session. PM me with an address and I'll post them out to you.

Paul

#14 Sarah Bamford

Sarah Bamford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:05 PM

Am at serious risk of becoming a geek having been to Nick and Doug's session on 'the future'!.. Really enjoyed the weekend and my colleagues were waiting Monday morning expectantly to see exactly what Doug had put on that hard drive!.. It is such a good time of year to re-invigorate planning.. just enough to get me through until end of term. Well done you workshop gurus.

:lol:

#15 Guest_Nick Dennis_*

Guest_Nick Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:16 PM

Sarah, JOIN US! :)

Richard Harris and Diana Laffin's session was a highlight for me - really good ideas on A Level teaching. Her 'tree' to symbolise the Elizabethan 'via media' was brilliant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users