• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 05:31 PM

Joanne Philpott has asked me to upload the resources from her workshop at this years SHP Conference. You should find tem attached to this post.

Feel free to fire away with flow up comments or questions as Jo does check the forum etc...

Attached Files

#2 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:19 PM

Thank you for this......

I'm thinking about adapting the 'talking activity' tokens to KS3/4 History lessons to focus the group discussion work and I'll have a chat with the English HoD to do something collaboratively with them. Brilliant! :flowers:
Carpe Diem - Seize the Day

#3 Seb Phillips

Seb Phillips

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:20 AM

I highly recommend the 'talk tokens' idea.

I tried it yesterday with three groups, including one that I can never get a word out of. They all did really well, as it forces the 'quiet but bright' students into actually saying something, and makes the more talkative ones really think what they are going to say.

I did back it up with chocolate biscuits, though... ;)

#4 Jo Philpott

Jo Philpott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 03:05 PM

Thanks for the replies and I am glad the talk tokens were a success. At the workshop someone suggested giving the more talkative students less tokens then the rest of the group to force them to think about the value of their contributions even further. It would need to be sensitively handled. Please let me know if anyone tries it!

#5 Dom_Giles

Dom_Giles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:12 AM

I will also be trying out the talk tokens next term. I also thought this was probably the best workshop I went to this year. Lots of good, simple ideas. I was inspired by the reading activity and am currently reading "Birdsong" with the view of using it with Year 9.

Just one point. At the beginning Jo refers to the "Two thirds rule". This comes originally, from a guy called Ned Flanders, believe it or not! See the links below.

http://www.schoolhis...?showtopic=8388

http://books.google....G...3&ct=result

Edited by Dom_Giles, 16 July 2008 - 10:20 AM.

Thinking is SO important Baldrick. What do YOU think?
I think thinking is SO important, my Lord.

#6 Seb Phillips

Seb Phillips

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:59 AM

At the workshop someone suggested giving the more talkative students less tokens then the rest of the group to force them to think about the value of their contributions even further. It would need to be sensitively handled.

I did this as well, and yes, it works. I have some students who know that they talk a lot in discussions, and I did it as a kind of 'try this...' task. With one I explained that the effort of shutting up was likely to kill her, so she had to be careful (so actually no sensitivity at all there, but she took it in good part). I also gave the less talkative ones fewer tokens to encourage them to say something. When I talked them through the task I explained that the ideal would for everyone to have exactly the same. Basically, if your class understand the link between talking about ideas and writing ideas down, they get it.

Edited by Seb Phillips, 21 July 2008 - 12:00 PM.

#7 Jo Philpott

Jo Philpott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 02:33 PM

Glad to know ideas are proving useful.
Nick Dennis suggested using podcasts to model different types of talk especially the more academic discussion which can be difficult for students to 'visualise'. I think he had made use of Melvyn Bragg Radio 4 podcasts to demonstrate how to frame and counter argument but he will might be able to expand on this. I am going to look into it and will have a go next term.

#8 Guest_Nick Dennis_*

Guest_Nick Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:14 PM

I have used Bragg's IOT for myself and given it to A Level students to listen to but not to frame arguments in a clearly planned way as Jo mentions in her work (BTW, the podcast is brilliant and I've learned so much just by listening to it). I was discussing how helpful it could be in terms of providing a 'model' in relation to Arthur Chapman's presentation. I hope to be doing something more structured around this next term too. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users