4 replies to this topic

#1 eadgifu

eadgifu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 03:04 PM

Hi everyone,

I had a fantastic time at the conference and it was really great to meet you all...so as part of my initiation onto the forum I thought I would post some goodies which might come in handy!

Hope everyone is ok and looking forward to summer

Emma J xx

Attached Files

#2 JaneMoore

JaneMoore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:25 PM

Emma, as I did not manage to get to your session, could you give us a little explanation as to how to use these resources?

Thanks

Jane

#3 eadgifu

eadgifu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:39 PM

Emma, as I did not manage to get to your session, could you give us a little explanation as to how to use these resources?

Thanks

Jane

:blink: Fortunately, I did not run a session but mentioned to several people I would put some stuff up onto the forum. Basically the idea behind the activity is to give pupils a brief understanding of society during the Industrial revolution. Each pupil is given a character card and a dating sheet. The room is laid out as if it would be an exam but with two chairs facing each other around each desk. The pupils have a short period of time to meet each other, find out who the other person is and see whether they are suitable marriage/dating material. I got the boys to move down to the next desk every 3minutes. They had to take into account certain factors to see whether they were suitable, so for example; were they the same class? what is the state of the person's health like? (are they gonna die from disease soon???? How old they are? And some silly ones like hopes and fears. There should be a perfect match :flowers: for each character card. I did more working class people than aristocrats for obvious reasons. It is good fun and the kids loved it...plus they all understood the structure of society during the industrial revolution at the end of the lesson!!

The facebook profile is just something I was messing arond with and thought it could be a nice plenary or something!!

If you try it, let me know how it goes! xxxxx

#4 JenniferJames

JenniferJames

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:32 PM

Emma will be officially creating all History resources in our department from now onwards. The end.
Jen
P.S. Session for SHP next year Emma cakes?!

#5 Guest_Nick Dennis_*

Guest_Nick Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2008 - 09:32 PM

Like the Facebook thing - I can imagine the students becoming really engaged by it. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users