• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew W

Andrew W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:59 AM

I'm currently looking at my teacher training options and I was wondering if there were any IB teachers on the site? Are there different routes to train to teach IB rather than GCSE or A-Level?

#2 mikel

mikel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 12:08 PM

There are regular IB training courses offered by the IBO in the various regions. What you need is, I imagine, a Level 1 course which is intended for teachers who have never taught the course before. The courses are quite expensive, and most teachers who go on them are paid for by their schools. I had a quick look on the relevant IBO webpage and the next one appears to be in Birmingham in July. http://www.ibo.org/events/DPbirm109/, unless you fancy going to Budapest in March, or Kenya in January!
Mike Tribe

#3 Andrew W

Andrew W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 12:38 PM

Strangely it would actually be cheaper and more convenient for me to go to Budapest in March, although maybe the course there would be in Magyar!

#4 Guest_Grayson M_*

Guest_Grayson M_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2008 - 01:12 PM

My experience with IB level 1 workshops is that they are pitched at a very low level. ie "This is the syllabus" Some individual providers add a bit but if you want to get into how to best manage an IB history course a level 2 is better.

Level 3 workshops can actually deal with innovative ways to approach content but they seem to be are fairly infrequently offered.

#5 Lou Phillips

Lou Phillips

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 03:35 PM

The IB training courses are actually quite cheap compared to those run by private providers in the UK- the only snag is the travel and accomodation. I have been lucky to go to Athens for two years running on IB training (first for CAS coordinator, then for history).

I think though, these are only bookable through IB world schools and you wouldn't be able to book yourself onto one for the training.
"True generosity towards the future consists of giving everything to the present" Albert Camus

"We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion year old carbon"

#6 mikel

mikel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 03:42 PM

The one in Budapest is in English... I don't know whether Lou's right... You'll just have to ask...
Mike Tribe

#7 Andrew W

Andrew W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 03:48 PM

To be honest I'd be mad to try and go to anything yet. I'm currently looking at GTP and PGCE training opportunities - one step at a time! I just wanted to clarify that there weren't different initial teacher training courses.

#8 ignoramous

ignoramous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 10:52 AM

I'm currently looking at my teacher training options and I was wondering if there were any IB teachers on the site? Are there different routes to train to teach IB rather than GCSE or A-Level?

Depends on what course you do. SCITT trainees at our place have the chance to experience KS3 Humanities, GCSE, A -level and IB syllabii.

'May the hair on your toes never grow less'.

#9 rachaelgreen

rachaelgreen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:51 AM

To be honest I'd be mad to try and go to anything yet. I'm currently looking at GTP and PGCE training opportunities - one step at a time! I just wanted to clarify that there weren't different initial teacher training courses.

No, no different training, you'd still need to go throught the relevant TT first. You might get lucky and find yourself on practice in an IB school (from the courses I've been on there seem to be increasing numbers of them in the UK), but if you're planning on looking overseas once you qualify, in my experience, the majority of schools accept that if they're getting someone straight from the UK, its quite likely they will not have had IB experience. If I were you, I'd do the initail TT then have a think about where you'd like it to lead and whether it would be worth the extra money to you to send yourself on these courses.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users