Photo
- - - - -

IB History of the Americas - any marking/teaching advice?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Clare Gaynor

Clare Gaynor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 08:36 PM

Dear All,Does anyone have any advice with regards to marking essay's for Paper 3 (Americas)?I studied this at degree level and thoroughly love the topic of civil war etc.However, as its the first year we have done this, I dont want to 'short change' my students.The first half term is over, and I believe that so far the students are still very positive about the IB and my topic, but I do not want this to change at all.With that in mind - does anyone have any advice? With regards to teaching methods and also marking of the IB essays.  ( I havent been on the course yet - only the HofD has been).  I'm already doing powerpoints, reading articles, textbooks, discussion and active stuff via the web and group work, but I want to also make sure that they have the information for their folders for revision purposes.  I've marked AS level essays for the past 6 years, but I'm finding the IB essay markschemes a bit 'thin'.  Any pointers?Regards,Clare

#2 Anne Piper

Anne Piper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:58 AM

Dear All,Does anyone have any advice with regards to marking essay's for Paper 3 (Americas)?I studied this at degree level and thoroughly love the topic of civil war etc.However, as its the first year we have done this, I dont want to 'short change' my students.The first half term is over, and I believe that so far the students are still very positive about the IB and my topic, but I do not want this to change at all.With that in mind - does anyone have any advice? With regards to teaching methods and also marking of the IB essays.  ( I havent been on the course yet - only the HofD has been).  I'm already doing powerpoints, reading articles, textbooks, discussion and active stuff via the web and group work, but I want to also make sure that they have the information for their folders for revision purposes.  I've marked AS level essays for the past 6 years, but I'm finding the IB essay markschemes a bit 'thin'.  Any pointers?Regards,Clare

Clare are you still teaching this tpic? I start teaching OB in September (Americas for paper 3) and could do with some idea about resources, I wondered if you could help?
Let no one think of me as humble or weak or passive ...

#3 Clare Gaynor

Clare Gaynor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:41 PM

Hi Anne,

I am not teaching it this year due to having a baby (which is why this is a very late reply) - I have quite a bit of stuff, but which topics are you doing? We do American Civil War, (did do the Americas and WW2), the Americas and the COld war and the Civil Rights movements in the Americas. If any of those are what you are teaching drop me an PM and I'll check back before the weekend etc.

Clare

Clare are you still teaching this tpic? I start teaching OB in September (Americas for paper 3) and could do with some idea about resources, I wondered if you could help?

#4 Anne Piper

Anne Piper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:41 PM

Clare
Yes to everything please! I am just about finished with Civil War, am about to start Political Developments post 1945 followed by Cold War from June. I also picked up a Year 13 class and am doing Civil Rights.

I have really struggled with this but understand that finally a textbook has been published. Am about to put in my order...

Thank you
Let no one think of me as humble or weak or passive ...

#5 mikel

mikel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:35 PM

Two useful websites for this are www.gilderlehrman. org and www.historicalthinkingmatters.org. Both have a lot of useful document exercise practice...
Mike Tribe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users