3 replies to this topic

#1 kellyd

kellyd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:51 AM

hi,
i am a trainee teacher in as and a2 level history and am looking for ideas and inspiration for lessons. most of my experience has been "chalk and talk" and would like to get away from this from some revision sessions i am running soon,
thanks,

#2 Lou Phillips

Lou Phillips

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:49 PM

This topic comes up a lot- try this seminar for more discussion: http://www.schoolhis...?showtopic=6900

As someone who only teaches AS/A level, I can testify to the fact that all your lower school techniques will work just as well. Mind-mapping, card sorts, venn diagrams, role play, quizzes (they loooooooove quizzes), posters, group research/ presentations....
"True generosity towards the future consists of giving everything to the present" Albert Camus

"We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion year old carbon"

#3 Seb Phillips

Seb Phillips

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:02 AM

I have found that two things work well for A level:

1) Exactly what works well at GCSE! In fact, this works even better because you now have (mostly) the able, motivated kids who will take a full part in it. So roleplays, discussions, presentations - stuff that puts them on the spot and makes them make use of their home study.

2) Encouraging them to do their own reading. This might be asking them to bring in notes/mind maps of what they have read, reviewing books in front of the whole class - the reading part is really important, without that, they find it impossible to absorb the material.

Overall, I try to structure my lessons so that they do the reading, learning things part at home, and I concentrate the lessons on them 'using' the material. You will quickly find who is not working (and if necessary refuse to teach them this lesson because they are not prepared), and this gets them away from the 'can you just tell us' approach some come up with. It's a huige change at A Level and they need to be taught how to adjust.

Two other things work well, I find.

1) Remember that they are children but they think they are adults. That means, they will be enjoying their new freedom, getting in late, not doing their work, etc. be firm with them. The line that works for me is 'look pal, you're an adult now - that means, you have to behave like one. If I can get to school for 7.30, you can get here on time for my lesson." use the system of sanctions religiously, don't let them slip.

2) Remember that they think they are adults and so a little more informality can work. For example, I have a small, very bright hard working set last thing on a friday - so I often bring in a plate of Jaffa Cakes.

#4 kellyd

kellyd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:32 PM

hi,
thanks for the info! that's great and something for me to go on. i should have said i am doing post compulsory PGCE so have no experience of teaching lower levels/gcse
thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users