5 replies to this topic

#1 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:04 PM

Historyonics on DVD

I dusted off my one copy of this brilliant series on my recorded VHS tape to show in class... and thought it is about time this fabulous series was on DVD - in case the inevitable happened and my one copy of the tape snaps! :huh:

When I show the episodes in class the students are instantly hooked, grabbing their attention. The show speaks to them in a way they understand and is not like fuddy duddy history documentaries. I can tell the students enjoy the Historyonics interpretation of history from the giggles, 100% focus and the questions/debate it raises at the end! :thumbup

The Gunpowder Plot episode to quote one history teacher from the forum “... is the best film for history teaching ever constructed”

The series covered 7 topics:
JULIUS CAESAR'S INVASIONS OF BRITAIN
1066 BATTLE OF HASTINGS
ROBIN HOOD
RICHARD III
MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS
GUNPOWDER PLOT
DICK TURPIN

I emailed Nick Knowles to ask if there was any chance this would ever be released on DVD.

Nick's email reply said:

Thanks Lesley, it really pleases me that schools use the series. But no, the BBC have not released it but I am encouraging all the teachers who write to me to write to the BBC and ask them. If enough people do then it will get released and can be used more readily by teachers. It took me a long time to research the series to get it accurate. Good luck
Nick

So I then asked for the name and address of someone who has enough clout at the BBC to get Historyonics released on DVD...see below for the name/address I was given:

So this is a plea to all history teachers who would like to see this brilliant series on DVD...please write to:

Nick Thoroughgood
BBC Worldwide
Media Centre
201 Wood Lane
London W12 7TQ

:help: Please, let's get this series on DVD by writing to the above address :flowers:

Thank you!

Lesley Ann
Carpe Diem - Seize the Day

#2 N S

N S

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 06:13 PM

Am right on it! This is a great series. Thank you for the info :flowers:
The gunpowder plot episode has been posted on youtube by some helpful person and the pupils love it!

#3 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:08 PM

Fantastic!

Thank you :flowers

#4 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:19 PM

Had a reply from BBC Commercial Agency:

Basically BBC Worldwide have previously declined the opportunity to release Historyonics on DVD. The BBC Commercial Agency has now re-offered this to BBC Worldwide and passed on the comments so they can assess the viability of a release and make a decision as to whether a release is possible.

So if you can pop a letter in the post, please do so! :flowers:

#5 alison denton

alison denton

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:37 PM

Absolutely!!
I am going to encourage every history department I come into contact with to do this.

#6 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:48 PM

Thank you Alison :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users