• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:53 PM

I'd argue the other way. The Yorkshire Trench is a reconstrunction of a section of trench that was occupied by British Forces. Vimy, of course, is known for the actions of Canadian forces. If you're looking at the war from a 'how did our lads fair' perspective there is only one winner - though I live and teach in Yorkshire so I'm incredibly biased on this one. Also don't forget that the trenches at Vimy are 'remade'. They are nothing other than an interpretation of the way that the trenches 'might' have looked like in that area and are incredibly innaccurate in many ways. Pupils I've takn there in the past have been far from impressed by the reconstruction when compared with sites such as Sanctuary Wood.

#32 benitoball

benitoball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:57 PM

I'd argue the other way. The Yorkshire Trench is a reconstrunction of a section of trench that was occupied by British Forces. Vimy, of course, is known for the actions of Canadian forces. If you're looking at the war from a 'how did our lads fair' perspective there is only one winner - though I live and teach in Yorkshire so I'm incredibly biased on this one. Also don't forget that the trenches at Vimy are 'remade'. They are nothing other than an interpretation of the way that the trenches 'might' have looked like in that area and are incredibly innaccurate in many ways. Pupils I've takn there in the past have been far from impressed by the reconstruction when compared with sites such as Sanctuary Wood.

I wouldn't disagree with you re Vimy Dan, indeed we no longer visit for some of the reasons you mention (though the kids always enjoyed the trip down the tunnels). As I said, I've never been to the Yorkshire trench but from the pictures online it looked similar to the Vimy experience - happy to stand corrected. You're right of course in saying that the pupils have a ball getting down in amongst the mud in Sanctuary Wood, though the site itself raises certain questions over authenticity - I'm convinced that new "shellholes" miraculously appear frm one visit to the next! Best trench experience that I've seen is down in the Somme at Thiepval Wood - carefully reconstructed trench lines, private tours organised by Teddy at Ulster Tower who'll even get a likely lad dressed up as a Tommy for the purposes of his talk. Brilliant stuff.

#33 Nichola Boughey

Nichola Boughey

Nichola

• Admin
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:57 PM

We are ditching Vimy because it is too far to travel on the Saturday - 1 hour each way.

We will be adding in the Yorkshire Trench but I like the idea of walking to Tyne Cot - is there a map of this somewhere?

#34 Mark H.

Mark H.

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:28 AM

I would agree with Billy that the Passchendaele Memorial Museum is the best museum in the Salient. I have expressed my opinion before on this forum that it is better than In Flanders Fields. (See http://www.schoolhis...l=&fromsearch=1) The Museum is also responsible for the visitor centre at Tyne Cot and you can arrange a 'Road to Passchendaele' educational session where the pupils walk up to Tyne Cot in WW1 kit. I would suggest that you contact Evelyne Osaer at the museum to arrange a visit:
evelyne.osaer@zonnebeke.be
Lijssenthoek is the second largest CWGC cemetery in Belgium after Tyne Cot and is located off the Poperinge ring road (which was originally built by the British during the war as part of a military one-way system). They are about to build a visitor centre there similar to the one at Tyne Cot and are currently compiling information, photographs etc about the people buried in the cemetery. For example, I have supplied details of our 1914 School Captain John Hartington MC who is buried near the Cross of Sacrifice.
Their website is:
http://www.lijssenth.../onderzoek.html
The most impressive trench system recreation in the area bar none is of the German trenches at Bayernwald on Messines Ridge but arranging access can be tricky. Hitler was stationed in this area for part of the war and visited Bayernwald (also known as Croonaert Wood) on his visit to Ypres in 1940.
The authenticity of the trenches at Sanctuary Wood has been the subject of extensive discussion, on this and other forums. The site is best seen as the last surviving example of one of the original trench museums built for the first wave of battlefield tourists in the 1920s/30s.

Edited by Mark H., 14 April 2010 - 09:33 AM.

In memory of my boyhood hero Jim Clark (1936-1968): 'Chevalier Sans Peur et Sans Reproche'.

#35 Maurice Savage

Maurice Savage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:44 AM

I would agree with Billy that the Passchendaele Memorial Museum is the best museum in the Salient. I have expressed my opinion before on this forum that it is better than In Flanders Fields. (See http://www.schoolhis...l=&fromsearch=1) The Museum is also responsible for the visitor centre at Tyne Cot and you can arrange a 'Road to Passchendaele' educational session where the pupils walk up to Tyne Cot in WW1 kit. I would suggest that you contact Evelyne Osaer at the museum to arrange a visit:
evelyne.osaer@zonnebeke.be
Lijssenthoek is the second largest CWGC cemetery in Belgium after Tyne Cot and is located off the Poperinge ring road (which was originally built by the British during the war as part of a military one-way system). They are about to build a visitor centre there similar to the one at Tyne Cot and are currently compiling information, photographs etc about the people buried in the cemetery. For example, I have supplied details of our 1914 School Captain John Hartington MC who is buried near the Cross of Sacrifice.
Their website is:
http://www.lijssenthoek.be/en/pagina/143/onderzoek.html
The most impressive trench system recreation in the area bar none is of the German trenches at Bayernwald on Messines Ridge but arranging access can be tricky. Hitler was stationed in this area for part of the war and visited Bayernwald (also known as Croonaert Wood) on his visit to Ypres in 1940.
The authenticity of the trenches at Sanctuary Wood has been the subject of extensive discussion, on this and other forums. The site is best seen as the last surviving example of one of the original trench museums built for the first wave of battlefield tourists in the 1920s/30s.

I thought the Bayernwald trench system excellent. I have a video on YouTube of the site recorded in 2008 before it was completely renovated (I took my nephew there in 2009 but will have to dig out the newer clip). The playlist link below is to some of my Ieper, Belgium clips including the underground trench at the Passchendaele Memorial Museum and Sanctuary Wood.

Maurice

http://www.youtube.com/user/VideoHistoryToday#grid/user/E3CB7E86B61EE857
<a href="http://www.videohistorytoday.com" target="_blank">www.VideoHistoryToday.com</a>
Video clips from historical places

www.AmericanCivilWarCollection.com
Unique Collections of Photographs, Maps and Lesson Plans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users