• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 01:52 PM

Stephen, right idea, wrong way around... suspense is at the TASC end waiting for schools to say yes or no!

#17 Nichola Boughey

Nichola Boughey

Nichola

• Admin
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 03:40 PM

If it helps any PGCE students starting at Edgehill or Hope in September I am Northwest based and am always happy to help PGCE students with practical help or guidance!

I'm not taking a student this year but hope to have one in 2010.

Good luck guys - you will enjoy next year (but will be shattered).

#18 Stephen W

Stephen W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:10 AM

Out of curiosity, what makes a school want to take on a PGCE student? What do schools and the teachers who work there 'get' out of having a student teacher working with them?

#19 Seb Phillips

Seb Phillips

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:47 AM

Out of curiosity, what makes a school want to take on a PGCE student? What do schools and the teachers who work there 'get' out of having a student teacher working with them?

Loads!

To start with, having another teacher in the classroom makes you tighten up your own practice, and examine what you are doing in your own teaching. even when you are in the early stages and have to be in the classroom for every lesson, you get more time to see how your pupils are doing.

Secondly, don't underestimate the amount of pressure you take off the regular classroom teacher. If you have two classes taken by a PGCE student, yes you have to keep an eye on things, but that can give you a couple of free periods per week. Heaven!

Thirdly, school trips etc are expensive because of cover costs. It's great to have PGCE students on them because we don't have to pay cover costs (which can be a couple of hundred!)

Lastly, PGCE students are usually trying new activities and really doing their best to be good teachers - you create some wonderful resources which remain in the school for years.

So the school is not just doing the PGCE course a favour - it really is a two way street.

Cheers,

seb

#20 Nichola Boughey

Nichola Boughey

Nichola

• Admin
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:28 AM

The only reason we have not had a PGCE student the last two years is because I had two NQTs to mentor and as a relatively new HOD felt I needed to give them guidance.

Next year it might well be the ex NQT or I that mentor the PGCE student.

#21 Stephen W

Stephen W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:30 AM

Thanks for the info Seb! I hadn't really thought how much the school/history department could benefit from having a PGCE student around. Very interesting to see things from your perspective, since it's probably not something I'll be coming across (directly) over the next year or so.

#22 Laura Jayne F

Laura Jayne F

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:07 PM

Hi, I'm starting the PGCE course in Hope in September. Just working my way through all the pre-course packs, really looking forward to the course, but so nervous as a lot of people have told me how intense it is. This forum is fantastic in that it has lessened the nerves a lot!

#23 Nichola Boughey

Nichola Boughey

Nichola

• Admin
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:37 PM

I'm a Hope PGCE Graduate myself and thoroughly enjoyed the course.

Merseyside schools will definitely offer you a breadth and depth of experience.

Best of luck and you know where the forum is if you need any help!

#24 aamenaiqbal

aamenaiqbal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:57 PM

Evening all!
I should be helping dad paint but I came across these forums and seem to be addicted! I starting my PGCE History at Worcester mid september 2009...its drawing closer and bells are ringing and smells of fear!
I havent done any reading, had a gorgeous holiday away and am working as much as i can to get cash on side...I was googling and came across this. Its great theres many people (like myself) who have been worried but turns out theres nothing. Like most my biggest challenge seems like my lack of subject knowledge (since i did international relations combined with public policy and management at degree level :S) ...what makes this more worrying is theres so much out there and not alot i can do without knowing the sylabus my placements wiill follow :S... anyhows if anyone could throw me a few more pointers and perhaps webpages as well as book that would be great.
Anyone else at Worcester 2009 or an ex-PGCE student from there?

Meena.
x
M

#25 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:37 PM

Welcome to the forum Meena.

Subject knowledge:

For years 7 to 9 theres no way that you could have an in depth knowledge of everything that could be taught. Have a look at the national curriculum site, teacher websites such as the ones linked to from the forum and you'll soon see what level of knowledge you'd need.

GCSE - in a nutshell, it could be anything... the options are a modern world course (see this site), the schools history project course or you could be placed somewhere that is running the pilot of a slightly different type of course. AS/A2 - don't worry about that until you know what units you'd have to deliver.

#26 aamenaiqbal

aamenaiqbal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:17 PM

Hey Dan thanks for the warm welcome. I feel right at home here!
I've been thinking of how i will adjust :S
Im 5ft5inch...eeeeek! :S And ive gatherd from most threads of the intensity involved in PGCE :S I really need to become time-keeping and manage pressure (which has been difficult in last year of uni...for personal and general purposes).
There will be planning lessons and assignments for the uni...oh dear..dear oh dear :S
If theres one good book to read...which would you suggest?
M

#27 Nichola Boughey

Nichola Boughey

Nichola

• Admin
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:18 PM

Just to add to Dan's comments. It is a bit unlikely that you would be let loose on AS/A2. You are more likely going to be an observer for these lessons or do a bit of team teaching.

My advice for all PGCE students is the first week on placement go through the filing cabinets or computer area and nab a copy of all resources (ask where possible), nab SOW and borrow copies of all the KS3 textbooks - just remember to return the textbooks before you leave!!!

#28 aamenaiqbal

aamenaiqbal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:25 PM

Hey Nic,
Thanks for that. DO you know any websites with good resources?
As for returnign textbooks- ive had one since college and found itbehind wardrobe 3years later- now im embarrased to return it! haha :S
M

#29 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:56 PM

Thanks for that. DO you know any websites with good resources?

The sites that appear in the flash header at the top of the forum are all created and maintained by history teachers. You'll find all sorts of resources, guidance and notes etc on them. The 'thinkinghistory' site has been written with PGCE students in mind and would be a great place to start reading - though you might find some of the ideas a little daunting at first!

In addition to the teacher created sites we link to, think about joining the Historical Association as that would enable you to access back copies of the journal Teaching History.

Im 5ft5inch...eeeeek!

The best example of a 'presence' I've experienced in a classroom to date was a former colleague who's a whopping 4'11" tall... height can help at first but its delivery that matters and that gets the response / respect.

#30 Nichola Boughey

Nichola Boughey

Nichola

• Admin
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:23 AM

Hey Dan thanks for the warm welcome. I feel right at home here!
I've been thinking of how i will adjust :S
Im 5ft5inch...eeeeek! :S And ive gatherd from most threads of the intensity involved in PGCE :S I really need to become time-keeping and manage pressure (which has been difficult in last year of uni...for personal and general purposes).
There will be planning lessons and assignments for the uni...oh dear..dear oh dear :S
If theres one good book to read...which would you suggest?

I'm 5 feet 1 inch and I manage 'presence' in the classroom. It's personality and not height.

One book to suggest you invest in is 'Teachers Toolkit' because how you teach is almost as important as what you teach.

Plus - resources! Use the search function at the top of this forum - I have been teaching 9 years and still pinch ideas from the forum. You will probably never use something wholesale but borrow ideas from different sheets and textbooks and create your pown resources.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users