• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:10 PM

I've put togeher a brief overview of the contents of my workshop on this page of my site.

A few bits could do with additional comment to make things clearer to people who weren't there - I'll try and get that done next week.

#2 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:35 PM

From someone who did attend your PLTS workshop it was excellent!

Since returning from the SHP conference I've already planned PLTS into lessons outside the classroom, got Play Doh into my new Crime and Punishment SoW and used Wallwisher for Year 7 to post what I have learned in history this year! They loved posting...and it was interesting to see what had stuck in their minds the most - Tollund man, Castles, Black Death and the Crusades! It was like instant implementation on return to school...just think how much I can implement from September!

Thanks for this Dan :teacher:
Carpe Diem - Seize the Day

#3 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:15 AM

LA - can you upload a copy of the Crime activity you've planned? I think other people might find it quite useful.

#4 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:08 AM

LA - can you upload a copy of the Crime activity you've planned? I think other people might find it quite useful.

ok!

This idea came to me watching breakfast TV last week after seeing a clip of Dragon's Den and is therefore based on the programme. It is a slightly gory lesson...with Tudor Torture instruments that can be found in the Tower of London today. I got the information on the torture instruments from Aaron Wilkes Crime and Punishment GCSE pupil textbook.

Dragons’ Den & Tudor Torture Instruments

GCSE OCR SHP Paper 1 One hour lesson: mixed ability

Lesson objective:
• How was torture used in Early Modern Britain?
• Why was torture used in Early Modern Britain?

Starter/hook: what did the Scottish boot, the Juda Cradle and the Spanish Donkey have in common? * not answered until plenary

This lesson is based on The Dragons’ Den programme.
Activity: students placed in groups of two or three. 7 groups are needed.
During the Tudor & Stuart times the government preferred to use cheaper methods to gather information to catch criminals or foil plots. They did use spies but this was time-consuming and costly so they preferred a more brutal method – torture.
Six torture methods are:
1. The Rack
2. The Press
3. The Spanish Donkey
4. The Juda Cradle
5. The Scottish Boot
6. Skeffington’s Irons.

The first group are the Dragons they will make a sing-o-meter of pain.

The remaining 6 groups are each given one Tudor/Stuart Torture card with an image and information on. Each of the 6 torture groups are given paper, pipe cleaners and play-doh. They are to model the instrument and make a short pitch to sell their torture implement to the Dragons.

The pitch: Each group has a pitch slot of 2 mins. The groups must use their model and pitch to sell their torture idea to the Dragons as the most terrible torture instrument ever.

The Dragons after hearing each pitch they must judge how much pain it will inflict using their swing-o-meter and decide whether they will invest in this instrument for the Tower of London.
After the class has heard all the pitches – their is a vote for the worst torture instrument.

Following the pitch activity: Most of this torture equipment still survives today and is kept on display in the Tower of London. The students are to design an information leaflet for the Tower of London’s Terrible Torture Chamber for tourists. It should include the torture instruments, facts about how they worked and a background to why the Tudor/Stuart governments used them. They may wish to change the guides title to something more imaginative.

Plenary: Managing the plenary – students are asked to volunteer to answer the questions which are on IWB – they may choose which question to respond to and in any order. The only stipulation is that all the plenary questions must be attempted/answered before. (plenary questions can be reduced to 4 or 5 rather than 7 - just a possible selection)

1. Draw the outline of a shape to portray pain – in one minute write down as many words/facts you have learned from this lesson.
2. What fact will STICK in your mind from this lesson?
3. Why did the Tudors/Stuarts use torture methods over spies?
4. Which torture instrument do you think gets the most gasps from visitors to the Tower of London?
5. Why do you think we do not torture criminals today?
6. Can you think of reasons why torture is not the best way to solve crime?
7. What did you enjoy most about the lesson today?

So what did the Scottish boot, the Juda Cradle and the Spanish Donkey have in common?

Resources: PPT, IWB, pipe cleaners, play-doh, 6 information torture cards, split pin, card board, plain paper.

#5 E Rickards

E Rickards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:16 AM

This is a great idea which I will definately use with my Y10s. If you don't have the book there are some excellent images and descriptions here:

http://gallery.nen.g...y869-swgfl.html

#6 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:43 PM

I'm doing a the Tollund Man for my observation on PLTS tomorrow and came across this website with some nice illustrations

http://www.tollundma...ustrationer.asp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users