Photo
- - - - -

Does any board offer a foundation paper?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Porte

Mr. Porte

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 12:31 PM

Once again our results are poor when compared to other subjects in my school.

Geography pull about 15-20% of their A*-C grades from foundation paper. We lose out to Geography by about 25% every year.

Do any exam boards offer a foundation paper?

#2 Judy G

Judy G

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 12:35 PM

No - have been to sessions held by AQA, Edexcel and OCR on their new courses and none have gone down the route of providing Foundation papers. Edexcel provide exams which don't exceed 75 minutes so this could be an option for you.

#3 Gorbash

Gorbash

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:14 PM

After asking people at the exam boards about this a couple of years ago (just before the new specifications were announced!) I was informed that the reason for the lack of tiered papers in History is because:
1- History teachers don't want them- we apparently prefer the soubriquet of being seen as a 'harder, more academic' subject (in other words we enjoy being academic snobs...)
2- History teachers do not want the pressure of deciding which kids should enter which tier.

When, as the OP says we are up against tiered subjects which can improve their A*-C grade by entering kids for a foundation tier we are always going to run the risk of not looking good and contributing enough to our schools 5 A*-C results. Something we do need to be wary of when schools (well SLT!) are looking to use data to make the school look beter and better!

I personally would love the opportunity of a foundation tier. Looking at my results this year with Edexcel's SHP papers I reckon that I could quite easily have added 15%-25% onto my A*-C results. For pity's sake I had kids coming out of the paper 1 exam(s) in tears at the wording of a couple of the questions and these kids have just missed out on a grade C by 1%! With a paper of slightly simpler worded questions I am in no doubt that they would have got their C's.

How do we change this though? Unfortunately I don't think we'll be able to until we look at GCSEs again in God know how many years... (Or perhaps when the Humanities Diploma is offically killed off after the next General Election!)
Its not who I am but what I do which defines me...

#4 caldwell

caldwell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 04:35 PM

CCEA GCSE History offers foundation papers. I know due to some bizarre reason the English schools are barred from taking CCEA at AS and A2 I don't see any reason to ignore CCEA at GCSE. We all 'do coursework'!
Syllabus is similar to rest of UK but the second part of paper one is Irish History. There are , however, plenty of resources, help, guidance etc. If inerested
http://www.rewarding...f...p;q=273&d=d

please get in touch if I can help.
caldwell

#5 johnwayne

johnwayne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:50 PM

hi, I thought the Welsh Board, WJEC, did a foundation paper or has that also been scrapped?

#6 Cath Turton

Cath Turton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:52 PM

CCEA GCSE History offers foundation papers. I know due to some bizarre reason the English schools are barred from taking CCEA at AS and A2 I don't see any reason to ignore CCEA at GCSE. We all 'do coursework'!
Syllabus is similar to rest of UK but the second part of paper one is Irish History. There are , however, plenty of resources, help, guidance etc. If inerested
http://www.rewarding...f...p;q=273&d=d

please get in touch if I can help.
caldwell

Do you know of any English schools that follow the CCEA syllabus at GCSE? We have been with AQA for years but I'm seriously considering a move to OCR due to all the problems mentioned by others. I'm a staunch believer that we should have had a foundation paper many years ago and would be interested to hear from any school that has experience of this.

#7 caldwell

caldwell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:50 PM

I suggest you contact CCEA. I know pupils who left here to go to England were able to complete their GCSE with CCEA

http://www.rewarding...about/index.asp

Good Luck.

Edited by caldwell, 30 August 2009 - 03:51 PM.

#8 Jayne

Jayne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:42 PM

If you are willing to teach classical civilisations both AQA and OCR offer foundation and higher tiered papers. I have decided this year to teach OCR Modern world to all pupils anticipated above a C and will be teaching foundation Classics for my lower ability pupils. I don't know how it is going to work out, but judging by the spec papers, they will cope much better with the question formats

#9 JohnP

JohnP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:34 PM

er, excuse me Mr Porte but I'm ahead of you on this as it's my neck in the block. Alas, none exist but modular exams will save the day we believe. Anyhow, come and see me in the study if you want an analysis of your class performance :teacher:

#10 JenniferJames

JenniferJames

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:59 PM

Hi Jayne,
I know I only have a couple of days to decide (and the kids don't know) but I'm thinking of doing Classics foundation with our new year 10 set 3. I've done it after school G&T but the course has changed quite a lot and the teacher who's doing it is a modern historian! Can I ask what options you're doing? How much are you going to try and cover in year 10? Pupils can re-sit every paper if they want but don't know if they can sit foundation in year 10, then attempt higher in year 11- awaiting OCR's response to that. PM me if you get chance,
Jennifer

If you are willing to teach classical civilisations both AQA and OCR offer foundation and higher tiered papers. I have decided this year to teach OCR Modern world to all pupils anticipated above a C and will be teaching foundation Classics for my lower ability pupils. I don't know how it is going to work out, but judging by the spec papers, they will cope much better with the question formats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users