• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JessC

JessC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:29 PM

Our school has AFL has a key issue on the school's improvement plan this year and I would be grateful for some ideas on using AFL in History lessons.
I try to use traffic lighting every now and then (although for some reason I tend to only do it with Year 7s) and I make an attempt at getting pupils to self or peer mark their work; however I have yet to find a more enjoyable way of incorporating AFL techniques into lessons more frequently.
I'd really appreciate some tips and guidance on this.
Thank you in advance.

#2 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:47 PM

Peer assessment of work at any stage.

Get em doing group work. Get presentations to be reviewed by each group, the teacher and then by the group as a reflective task.

Modelling answers on the board.

Provide answers to assessments that pupils mark in advance and then again after their own assessment task. Compare with their own / their peers work. Comment on and record etc...

Visualise pupipl targets via use of the traffic lights system you mention. Do this in a spreadsheet to update progress towards a target over any given period of time. In KS3 it could be over the KS with 'red' being for below x,y or z levels / sub-levels (of end of KS target) at KS4 it could be a simple % based sheet that figured out the % that a ppil is at after each piece of work / homework and compares it with their target grade etc.... again this can be easily traffic lighted to show how close to target pupils are etc....

#3 JohnDClare

JohnDClare

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:50 PM

There is an awful lot on the forum on AfL if you do a search - not least this thread.

Things have moved on from AfL to APP now, and you need to keep abreast of that - eg here and here.

#4 Jenjane

Jenjane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:06 PM

SOmething I do with all of my exam answers produced by students now is get them to write a comment underneath it before I mark it (ie what was hard/easy/surprising/ask me a question). Tells me much more than I could ever get from the answer alone. Often I write much less, but more of direct use to that individual instead of a standard comment or writing something they already know eg "you needed to revise more", instead they might write something like "I found it hard to revise this", and I can give specific ideas. Basic example but you get the gist.
Also, some A-S students said at the end of their course they would like to have me tell them to redo essays to prove they could do what I had told them in my comments and get a better grade. I will try it this year, but not sure how practical this is...
Jane

#5 JohnP

JohnP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:43 PM

I've re-adjusted the APP link for you here. This link is for Secondary schools not Primary as above:

http://nationalstrat...pilsprogressapp

#6 JohnDClare

JohnDClare

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:42 PM

I've re-adjusted the APP link for you here. This link is for Secondary schools not Primary as above:

http://nationalstrat...pilsprogressapp

Thanks - sorry.

#7 Dom_Giles

Dom_Giles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:17 AM

I'm thinking of doing something for AfL for my performance management. Can anyone recommend any CPD courses that are good?

Thanks

Thinking is SO important Baldrick. What do YOU think?
I think thinking is SO important, my Lord.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users