#1 Helen S

Helen S

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:35 AM

Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone has created any sort of basic outline on the Crimean War?

I'm especially interested in Balaclava.

Can anyone help me please? I'm in a new post and I'm really short on time/resources/sanity!!!

H. :crazy:
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe.
H. G. Wells

#2 Lucy Harris

Lucy Harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:21 PM

Are you following the Edexcel course? IF so their textbook on 'Experience of Warfare' is good overview material

I set the kids on researching about the different battles last year to save time as the above course is more about the impact of the war than the battles etc

Have fun!

#3 Helen S

Helen S

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:19 AM

Hi,

I have the Edexcel book...but I need something more basic!

My AS group are very weak and a simple outline would really help.

I've got so little time at the moment and I'm up against it.

H.
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe.
H. G. Wells

#4 Chouan

Chouan

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:26 PM

Find a copy of the Tony Richardson film, "The Charge of the Light Brigade", it does give a fairly simple view of the background to the war, and its approximate course up to Balaclava. They will find it accesible.....

#5 Andy Rutherford

Andy Rutherford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:59 PM

If you have the History Channel, at 4.00am on Monday 28 September, there's a programme called Crimea: A Most Desperate Undertaking. Maybe worth recording? Very early hours of the morning!

#6 Andy Rutherford

Andy Rutherford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:07 PM

Soory, I meant ot write: It's called The Crimean War: A Most Desperete Undertaking. I can't find any information about this programme from The History Channel's website: my listing information was from Radio Times!

#7 Michelle_Musgrove

Michelle_Musgrove

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:16 AM

Hi there

Quite a bit of stuff on youtube on crimean war and charge of light brigade. Here is a powerpoint I used with my year 13s last week - I got the info from a learning curve site I think!

Michelle

Attached Files

#8 Vicki W

Vicki W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 02:34 PM

Hi

There's some very basic stuff on this BBC page and on the right hand side there's a link to the 'Crimean Research Society' which also has a summary of the War and more detailed stuff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...crimea_01.shtml

Hope this helps

Vicki

#9 MarkMoran

MarkMoran

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 01:39 PM

Here is a link to an accessibly written, yet thorough account of the assault on Balaclava, with background on the Crimean War. It includes links to 6 excellent Web resources. In particular, the link to BritishBattles.com seems particularly well-suited for your use.

http://www.findingdu...ic-Failure.html

#10 Elliott

Elliott

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:50 PM

I would recommend, as previously suggested, obtaining a copy of the Edexcel book for this topic, if nothing else, there are plenty of sources to use as practice. Clive Ponting's book is also good for additional reading for yourself (along with Hugh Small). I tend to cover the background to the conflict very quickly (you can use the opening 'cartoon' section of the Charge of the Light Brigade film, which is on you-tube), and then outline Alma, Balaklava and Inkerman (I do a task on determining responsibility for the Charge of the Light Brigade, again using the film which you can get on youtube). The main focus on teaching is on the role of Russell/Fenton, Organisational problems - Raglan, Filder, Great Storm, reaction in England etc, lack of medical care, Nightingale, Seacole and outcomes of the war through reforms. Including practice on source skills I teach it in 3 weeks, as WWI is the bigger 'chunk' of the topic...and as January modules are compulsory (no ifs / buts) I just have to get through the content. If you need any specific help just PM. Elliott

#11 crimeanwar

crimeanwar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:38 AM

Declaring my hand - I am the 'webmaster' for the Crimean War Research Society. We get a lot of enquiries from teachers and students, so I thought I would take the bull by the horns and join this forum with a view to modestly offering what advice I can. Unofficially - my recommendations are not necessarily the views of the CWRS, but are more my own views based on years of personal research; reading the research of other society members and book reviews in our journal, the 'War Correspondent', and running the website.

First recommendations:

It appears to be the generally held view inside the CWRS that Trevor Royle's 'Crimea' is about the best modern work on the war.

Secondly, Clive Ponting's book (mentioned elsewhere here) is to be approached with caution. It apparently suffers from a number of factual errors.

Our website carries a good basic chronology of the war; an FAQs page; an extensive links page and another with direct links to contemporary books at Google Books.

Tom Muir
www.crimeanwar.org
twitter.com/crimeanwar
Tom Muir
tommuir.tel

#12 Lucy Harris

Lucy Harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:46 PM

Hi Tom

What I'd be interested in is any information you have on the historiography of the Crimean War - there's obviously the revisionist view of Raglan/debate over Nightingale & Seacole - however I wondered if there were any other shifts in views on the war you could assist on, especially about the role of newspapers?

Edited by Lucy Harris, 09 October 2009 - 03:49 PM.

#13 Lucy Harris

Lucy Harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:53 PM

PS - Elliott - my god - 3 weeks on the Crimean?? I'm impressed! Well done indeed - I'm happy if I'm into the Boer war by January...

That's pressure if ever I saw it...

#14 Elliott

Elliott

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:15 PM

PS - Elliott - my god - 3 weeks on the Crimean?? I'm impressed! Well done indeed - I'm happy if I'm into the Boer war by January...

That's pressure if ever I saw it...

:) I teach both Unit 1 and Unit 2 consecutively (on my own), so I have to get through Unit 2 before the Jan exam, and then straight into Unit 1 for the May exam. I just get the students to read the topic the week before for homework and then straight in - just been 'Ofsted' this week and had a great lesson with the students working their way round different tables of evidence on the effectiveness of Florence Nightingale/Mary Seacole in the Crimea - by the end of it they were convinced Florence was a 'mass murderer control freak' (to quote one student) - managed to hit the equality / diversity agenda with that (there was a good article in the Independent on Saturday about the role of a female surgeon in Afghanistan)...problem remains with getting them 'skilled' for the exam for January...75 source questions to mark this weekend :(

#15 David_Blanchard

David_Blanchard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:26 AM

Hello Elliot and Others,

I am in the same boat as you with regard to teaching this unit before january. I have six lessons a week which helps and am aiming to finish both Crimea and Boer war before half-term.

I am in the process of marking question on Nightingale and Seacole (B) question page 44 of Edexcel Textbook. So far I have one excellent answer 37 out of 40 but the other 5 are mostly less than 20.

I will try to get a copy of the good answer which could be used as a kind of model answer I hope. I will post it here to see what other people think. I may have been too generous.

Regards

David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users