• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 jola

jola

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:07 AM

Wondering what people are doing for their controlled assessment???? Was looking at changes in terrorism over the last 40 years but have tiny budget so no possibility of buying resources, have never taught this before and starting to think im being too ambitious! Any suggestions?

#2 Roy Huggins

Roy Huggins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:04 PM

Hi Jo,
d
We played around with several titles including one on Haig another on the changing nature of warfare. In the end we opted for one on terror as a political weapon in Nazi Germany as we taught a similar question to our Year 11s this year and already had the resources and SOW. Its a nightmare trying to keep pace with all the changes, especially when you are deliverying two separate GCSEs

Kind Regards

Roy :jester:
PS Off to the Gym!
"Men are disturbed, not by the things that happen, but by their opinion of the things that happen." - Epictetus

#3 jola

jola

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:27 PM

Thanks Roy - really appreciate your advice. Think ill go down a similiar route with Nazi Germany.

Jo

#4 Simon Ross

Simon Ross

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:49 PM

Hi, we are doing the Modern World GCSE. For the controlled assessment we are doing the role of the individual question. With the focus being on the role of Nelson Mandela in the ending of apartheid. I too am somewhat concerned by this, although I do recommend the coursework consultancy service which has been of some use. I also have a member of the department attending INSET this term so will post if anything major is mentioned!

In readiness for the controlled assessment I have been collecting sources that GCSE students could use. I've put them on ilovehistory. There are quite a few sources there, although I'm still searching for some - for example I can't seem to find the text of the Lusaka manifesto online, and I'd like something on Muldergate, oh and something on Soweto.

S

#5 Roy Huggins

Roy Huggins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:03 PM

Possible Enquiry Question:

How important was terror as a tool in helping the Nazis keep control of Germany from 1933 to 1939?

Of course you could change it to propaganda, popular policies or even lack of opposition.

I've got some great videos and resources that we've used before so it shouldn't take more than 8 weeks to teach. That should give us from Easter onwards to revise Paper 2.

At one stage I also considered doing it on the atomic bomb, the question went something like: How far was American desire for a revenge a key factor in Truman's decision to drop the atomic bomb on Japan in 1945?

Another was: Why were there important changes in the nature of European warfare in the period 1909 to 1959

Kind Regards

Edited by Roy Huggins, 06 January 2010 - 09:14 PM.

"Men are disturbed, not by the things that happen, but by their opinion of the things that happen." - Epictetus

#6 johnwayne

johnwayne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:40 AM

Hi - we are hoping to do FDR and the new deal. Should I be using the question for an individual or an event?

e.g. How successful was FDR and the New Deal

or

Was the New Deal a success/failure

Any advice gratefully recieved

#7 johnwayne

johnwayne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:41 AM

sorry, how many hours are we given for this please?

#8 jola

jola

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:35 PM

Thanks Roy. Will take your advice/suggestion and set the question on terror and the Nazis. Im going to set in in Sept of Y11. How long do you think i should teach it before and then is it 8 hours that the pupils work on it? or 4 to teach and 4 to do?

Do i have to research the source material???

Sorry if i sound dumb!

#9 Roy Huggins

Roy Huggins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:33 PM

Hi Jola,

I'm planning to teach a normal course on Life in Nazi Germany. The topics that I will cover are:

Hitler's Rise to Power
Taking Control
The Terror State
Putting Germany bacvk to work
Hitler Youth
Women
Jews
KDF
Propaganda

I'd imagin that it will take about 8 /9 weeks to teach followed up by the time set aside for the students to research and write their answers. They can have full access to their exercise books, school network etc but I shall put together a source booklet along with Andrew Hill of key quotes from contempories and historians to provide them with some material that they can use.

If you remind me I'll post it in this thread!

Kind Regards

#10 jola

jola

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:55 PM

That sounds great - thanks again Roy.

Jo

#11 milkybar

milkybar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:56 AM

Hi Roy

I hope I am being particularly dense.In the teacher's guide I am reading it clearly states that the modern world study must by a 'live issue that is still reported in the media today'. Does Nazi Germany fit into this category? I would love to teach this option.

As far as I can see in the OCRs guide to controlled assessment we can only choose between this Modern World Study and History Around Us??!!

Hope I am missing something obvious as we have no budget left for training this year....

Mb

#12 Roy Huggins

Roy Huggins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:51 PM

Ayup,

I noticed from the link that you are doing OCR A, whilst we are doing OCR B. In that case different rules may apply. Certainly, when I went on teh exam feedback course and spoke to other centres, everyone was doing similar topics for 'B'

I also submitted a form to OCR and they never mentioned anything so I'm presumming that we are fine.

Kind Regards

#13 Andrew Day

Andrew Day

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:57 PM

As we do the Germany depth study on paper 1 we obviously can't cover it for the controlled assessment as well so I'm going for the USA 1919-41 for our controlled assessment. I've come up with a proposed programme of study and now need to run it by OCR to get the green light or any other feedback. We plan to do the controlled assessment in September of Year 11.

I might be missing something but I cant find the e-mail or phone number of the controlled assessment consultant anywhere! Can anyone shed any light on this?

Of course I'm also interested in what other people think as well so have attached the outline. If anyone wants it to amend or tweak for themselves then please feel free.

Attached File  The USA 1919-41.doc   36K   2219 downloads
The roots of education are bitter but the fruit is sweet - Aristotle

#14 Roy Huggins

Roy Huggins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:44 PM

Looks good, but don't forget that the questions change each year so you can use the questions format they have given us for May 2010 but not 2011. Hopefully, it will be a subtle tweak!

Kind Regards

Roy

#15 Drew

Drew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:11 PM

Dear All,

I have been reading the discussion with interest and would like to throw in another question re CA.

OCR have produced a scheme of work which focuses on investigating the significance of the individual in history. However, like the rest of you the inset was geared towards adopting a topic based approach - as Roy is doing for example.

Is anyone else adopting / adpating OCR's scheme of work - I am very tempted as it would allow pupils to pick an individual of their choice and they may well just be genuinely interested.....I appreciate it might be a lot to 'manage', but we might well limit it to a choice of 5.

Any thoughts welcomed....

Yours

Drew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users