#1 NeilM

NeilM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:52 PM

Evening,

I've scanned and put online the sourcebooklet. I've added very quickly some brief activities based on the questions. They are of very dubious quality as I've rushed through to get them online. I hope that I can improve them (All suggestions most welcome).

I know some colleagues were struggling having not yet received their copies in school.

NeilM

Aha! Its at www.pastmatters.org
NeilM

Life is an elaborate metaphor for Cricket.

We are at times too ready to believe that the present is the only possible state of things Marcel Proust (1871-1922)
The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new lands, but in seeing with new eyes. Marcel Proust,

#2 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,945 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:00 PM

Just to simplify - this is the direct link: http://www.pastmatte...urcebooklet.htm

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#3 HRS

HRS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:05 AM

Thanks for uploading it Neil - no sign of our booklets yet - exams officer now on the case!!

#4 Sarah V.

Sarah V.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:01 AM

Thanks so much Neil!

Shouldn't be too hard to teach euthanaisa to the kids - although I had avoided teaching the topic and have already gone through arguments for/against the death penalty instead because i thought it would be easier! Oh well...never mind!

Thanks again!

Sarah

#5 HRS

HRS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:17 AM

Thanks so much Neil!

Shouldn't be too hard to teach euthanaisa to the kids - although I had avoided teaching the topic and have already gone through arguments for/against the death penalty instead because i thought it would be easier! Oh well...never mind!

Thanks again!

Sarah

Snap! - also done Capital punishment too, but as you say Euthanasia shouldn't be too hard, especially with the sources..

What do we think the 8 mark questions will focus on this time?

Key idea 2 was tested quite heavily last year, and key idea 4 this year so I'm guessing a comparison of two contrasting cultures or cultural conflict/change - possibly something on immigration?

Conflict and Co-operation seems very open this year with only the one source....

Have you had your booklets yet Sarah - we still havn't got ours?

Helen

#6 NeilM

NeilM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:33 PM

Hi

I'm adding quite a few materials at the weekend and the next few days, more keywords games to assist the revision process. I will also add an Easter Booklet based on the Sources later in the year (when its finally done!)

In terms of the questions, you've prompted me to sit down properly and think:

C&B
I think the main thrust of questions not focussing on the sources will be about other cultures / components of culture / multiculturalism.

C&C
Very open as you say.
Definitely 8markers on causes/resolution of national/internation conflict I would have said.
Perhaps smaller questions on the impact of conflict. Very difficult one to call. I am worried that there might be a real stinker in here, as its also the unit our students find the most difficult and have unfortunately not spent enough time on.

EI
The two rainforest sources will probably focus on stewardship / balancing needs short-term for resources and medicines with longer term environmental stability. All Key Idea 1 incidentally.
Leaving....
tourism vs ecotourism
fossil fuels vs renewables
land use, conservation projects,

direct action, individual action, government action, resolving this sorry mess!

Not sure I haven't just listed all I can remember from the Spec here!?

Any revision materials you make would be greatly appreciated, (or want hosting) as would ideas... I seem clean out of good ideas at the mo!!

NeilM

NeilM

We are at times too ready to believe that the present is the only possible state of things Marcel Proust (1871-1922)
The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new lands, but in seeing with new eyes. Marcel Proust,

#7 HRS

HRS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:22 AM

I'm also worried that C&C will be our downfall - no matter how many times I remind my lot that if it says individual write about bullying etc... They just get completely confused - They really struggle with this!

In terms of revision materials - I have begun making a reallly simple booklet with each key idea for the core units directly from the spec. listed with a space underneath for them to write what they have studied for each of those headings - some of mine only got level 2/3 at KS3 so need very, very simple breakdowns if they are going to pick up marks. When its complete I can send/upload a copy.

I have also thought about making each of them (only have 10 in year 11) a DVD/CD-Rom with clips on it and questions that they can pause the video and write answers too (They are quite visual learners) I might also include some ppt slide shows... I thought of this for history a couple of years ago but alas, timing meant it never materialised. If Imanage it this year I will also send a copy!

Helen

#8 NeilM

NeilM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:25 PM

I'm also worried that C&C will be our downfall - no matter how many times I remind my lot that if it says individual write about bullying etc... They just get completely confused - They really struggle with this!

In terms of revision materials - I have begun making a reallly simple booklet with each key idea for the core units directly from the spec. listed with a space underneath for them to write what they have studied for each of those headings - some of mine only got level 2/3 at KS3 so need very, very simple breakdowns if they are going to pick up marks. When its complete I can send/upload a copy.

I have also thought about making each of them (only have 10 in year 11) a DVD/CD-Rom with clips on it and questions that they can pause the video and write answers too (They are quite visual learners) I might also include some ppt slide shows... I thought of this for history a couple of years ago but alas, timing meant it never materialised. If Imanage it this year I will also send a copy!

Helen

Hi Helen,

I really like the booklet idea and the videos - its something I've been trialling this year mainly with GCSE History. I've made quite a few revision videos and revision movies for both Humanities and History and put them on Youtube. My channel is at www.youtube.com/user/pastmatters - this may prove useful, and save you a bit of time.

I've found some Culture and belief stuff which I've also put up on pastmatters - again it might save you a bit of time? I'd really appreciate any copies of anything you do get time to make. I feel really mown out already this year and its only blooming Feb!!! It feels as if the exams are very close all of a sudden. Although as the kids were told they have only around 9week lefts - thats less than 27 lessons!!! Aaaarrgghh!!!

Cheers
NeilM
NeilM

#9 HRS

HRS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:52 PM

I found this on TES connect resources section - could be of use to those who now have to teach Euthanasia for paper 1 :)

http://www.tes.co.uk...orycode=6008232

Helen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users