• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 03:07 PM

I have seen one school which has proudly put all of its worksheets onto its intranet - and have to ask the question "why?' (OK it saves money on paper!).

Also encourages home school links, lets parents know what's going on, allows absent kids to get the work they missed quickly and easily. I don't think we need shy away from using ICT in very straighforward and useful ways.

One of the things that is very noticeable with my students is that using ICT, even for the more mundane tasks, allows them the opportunity to work in an environment in which they are less likely to fail. Many of my students have major Literacy problems, lack self confidence and are not willing to produce things for display, debates or presentations as they don't want to be seen failing. Stick them on a computer and they don't have their friends peering over their shoulder, will produce work that is neat as they can make it look presentable with relative ease and they can present ideas visually in a way that they would not neccessarily wish to articulate verbally to their peer group. Not exactly an interesting use of ICT but it's got it's uses once in a while.

I'd support Andy's point about making worksheets available. It allows students to be in control of their learning. If they want to know what the programme of study is and it's available in this format then they've got the opportunity to do preparatory work. I think that's simple good management of resources and students.

#32 neil mcdonald

neil mcdonald

Neil McDonald

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 03:42 PM

One of the bonuses of ICT is the concept that a student can anywhere in the world, at anytime do that lesson through the ability to have ready access to the resources. The fundamental aspect the will embed ICT in teaching whether History or any other subject has to be the training of the staff and their acceptance to use it I was speaking to a member of staff today and was told that a department did not want their normal whiteboard removing and replacing with an interactive one because they could write on it. The member of staff was told that they wanted both so that theycould write on a normal board! Training is one key aspect to this but the other is to say - hey how can you pass or go on through Threshold when you can't manage this. If the resources are there then they have to show they can handle it otherwise no pay rise through Threshold. I know it sounds controversial but surely one way in which they can show they are looking at CPD and the use of ICT has to lie in making those members of staff who are ICT-phobic responsible for it, for those who are just lacking the training, the issue should not be a problem.
Bernard Woolley: Have the countries in alphabetical order? Oh no, we can't do that, we'd put Iraq next to Iran.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bernard Woolley: That's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I give confidential security briefings. You leak. He has been charged under section 2a of the Official Secrets Act.

#33 kodonnell1969

kodonnell1969

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 01:28 AM

:huh:

I feel a little silly posting this, but as a new user, and from Canada, I must say I have some trouble comprehending some of the acronyms being used- specifically ICT, PGCE, GCSE, CPD.

For those not in the know, could somebody post the full text versions? Thanx!

#34 Richard Jones-Nerzic

Richard Jones-Nerzic

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 08:11 AM

I feel a little silly posting this, but as a new user, and from Canada, I must say I have some trouble comprehending some of the acronyms being used-  specifically ICT, PGCE, GCSE, CPD.

Not at all silly, I have no idea what CPD is and I only left the UK 4 years ago.

ICT - Information and Communication Technology
PGCSE - Post Graduate Certificate of Education (one year teacher training course at British university)
GCSE - General Certificate of Secondary Education (terminal exams at the end of two year course and compulsory education in UK - taken at 16)
All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

European School Brussels III
International School History

#35 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 08:12 AM

CPD - Continued Professional Development.

#36 Lindsay

Lindsay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 01:52 PM

English educationalists love acronyms. Its a code. I sometimes get my wife to read pages of the Times Education Supplement, if ever we want to laugh about how inaccessible education is in England.All professions use codes, but I find educationalists (not the teachers, I stress) even worse than the doctors and lawyers...and they take some beating!

#37 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,948 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 04:01 PM

This is very true. I did define what ICT meant in the second line of this seminar though. There is an extraordinary number of acronyms within teaching. I guess ICT is used just to make the more ordinary sounding 'computers' sound a bit more connected and alive. For higher education there's an additional / different acronym - ILT - meaning Information Learning Technology.

It is such a pity if acronyms get in the way of people having a sensible discussion or even understanding what on earth is going on. They aren't going away though as ICT use in history within schools in Britain (yes including Wales, Scotland et al.) will be largely controlled by BECTA, the NGFL and I suppose the HA - all acronyms themselves.

BECTA = British Education Communications and Technology Agency
NGFL = National Grid for Learning
HA = Historical Association.

TTFN.

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#38 JohnDClare

JohnDClare

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,190 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 09:51 PM

No discussion is complete without a TLA.

#39 kodonnell1969

kodonnell1969

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 08:19 PM

:D

Thanx all!

That helps to lessen the fuzzification revolving around the discussion!

We have our share of those who continue to expand the use of acronyms here in Canada also. They tend to become so common in our communication with colleagues, we tend to forget that they are nothing short of doublespeak to those outside our profession.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users