8 replies to this topic

#1 TommyP

TommyP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:26 PM

Hi all,

I am reaching that dreaded point where my resources literally run out for the final leg of the A2 course. We are finishing the Cold War and thus far a combination of my undergraduate notes and historical works has made for a really engaging worthwhile course yet the final stint leaves our resources a little threadbare. I have put together a lesson on the 1st Gulf War which I am happy with but the Yugoslavia aspect of the course has left me struggling for resources and teaching ideas.

Anyone who is teaching this course and can share some resource/expertise would have my eternal gratitude!

Tom x

#2 Lyn

Lyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:43 AM

Hi Tom,
I'm teaching this as well. Unfortuately I'm struggling for resources as well. I haven't actually started Yugoslavia yet - I hope you'll forgiove me for replying under false pretences -sort of- but I'm stuck for good resources/ideas for teaching the end of the CW in a more interesting way than suggested on the SOW. Could I be really cheeky and ask if you have any good ideas? I would so appreciate some help.
I promise to send any resources I come across for Yugoslavia in the meantime.

Yours in hope,
Lyn

#3 rharris

rharris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:25 PM

I'm just about to start this so any useful ideas would be appreciated too! I think a bit of video as ISM would help to hook the students, this really worked when we were studying the Angola conflict, where we looked at the use of child soldiers. I'm also going to ask them to research the Karadzic trial before we start, which will hopefully help them raise some questions of their own about the topic.

Any other ideas, I'll post!

#4 Lyn

Lyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:09 AM

Hi Tom

Just trying to come up with some ideas for resources re: Yugoslavia.
Looked back at some notes I took at the meeting with John Aldred: the theme for this topic must have an emphasis on international relations - so far, the best text I have found, is Finlan. He covers causes; motives; individuals etc but most importantly the role of international community and impact.
I have also discovered loads of clips on youtube plus the BBC web for articles. Hope this is of some use.

Srebrenica

BBC 6 part series : Death of Yugoslavia - there are about 3-4 clips from this series: very useeful for the nationalism angle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsfBEFxBVkE

serb/croat conflict cut to music - thought I'd embed into a power point as ISM to get them thinking

#5 rharris

rharris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:41 PM

Thanks for the links...here's a Storyville video that I've used bits of today. Be careful as some of the scenes really upset one of my more sensitive students (silly me really)

http://video.google....58223206269582#

I also used bits out of Finlan; the extracts from Zlata's Diary: A Child's Life in Sarajevo were particulary useful. I wasn't looking forward to teaching this section, but the students' seem very keen.

#6 Lyn

Lyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:17 AM

Hi,
Thanks for these links Reuben - very useful. I will warn students about content also, about some of the images available - they shocked me as well.

I am quite enjoying teaching this unit although it is stressful being only a one step ahead with planning. I'm finding it difficult to get to grips with the focus of the unit especially as there is so little material regards exam questions. The students have been interested throughout - at times gripped by some of the more exciting events like Cuba. They seem to have grasped the language, but have trouble linking - no matter how much I try to hammer home synopticity. Your tasks on end of CW really helped though - made them think and realise that summits etc weren't isolated random events! I just hope that I'm teaching the right focus here.
Lyn

#7 Dafydd Humphreys

Dafydd Humphreys

Thinking outside the box...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:54 AM

The Dennis quaid film 'Savior' is very good as it doesn't do the usual 'Serbs are to blame' trick and shows all three sides to be equally to blame.

I would also try and show Kusturica's film 'Underground' which gives a long-term surreal history of Yugoslavia from WW2 onwards. Great film.

You should also read the tenc/emperor's new clothes website, and some Chomsky, Zinn and Parenti to see that much of the wars were engineered by the West, not because of Serbian 'belligerence'. Look at the links between the KLA/UCK and neo-nazis.
My Youtube Channels: <a href="http://www.youtube.c...m/Learnhistory" target="_blank">LearnHistory</a> (RIP) :( and <a href="http://www.youtube.c.../Learnhistory2" target="_blank">LearnHistory2</a> and now <a href="http://www.youtube.c.../Learnhistory3" target="_blank">LearnHistory3</a>

#8 Lyn

Lyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:47 AM

Is it still possible to buy Israeli's book the iraq war? I have tried several online booksellers without success.
Lyn

It's ok - found it

Edited by Lyn, 03 May 2010 - 12:35 PM.

#9 Katie Edwards

Katie Edwards

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:14 AM

Hi,

I am starting a new job in September and I am just attempting my prepartion for this particular course. I am struggling to think of interesting/exciting ideas and resources for this unit and would be extremely grateful if anyone would give me some direction on how they went about teaching this! Thank you so much in advance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users