3 replies to this topic

#1 casey rich

casey rich

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:17 AM

Hello all,

I came to this forum for some help a few months back when I started teaching (still in the midst of year 1) and it was great. I have another questions - this one with fear growing in my eyes.

Our 3rd quarter end is approaching here and I am finishing up with the League of Nations Key Questions. That means I'll have the end of April - June to do the Collapse of International Peace (a little over 2 months of valid teaching time) before we go on summer break. Next year I will have September - January with the students and then March until the exam in May. Looking at this time-table, I'm wondering:

How long should I spend on the German Depth-Study? I've found some schemes online that put aside 14 weeks. This would then give me the end of December, January and March to do The Cold War. I wonder if with my students I can get them through the Cold War in that time considering how long it has taken us to get through the League. How far do we have to get? Is up to Vietnam okay?

See - their Paper 2 will be on the start of the Cold War, so I was wondering if I should just really focus on that and then skim through the Cuban Missile Crisis and Vietnam.

Also - considering my students language level (low) and their comprehension of source reading and writing skills - i'm wondering if using April for revision will be enough time???

I hope you understand all these concerns and they don't make me look like a terribly unprepared teacher. At least I'm thinking about it now instead of regretting it when March of next year comes around.

Any advice would be greatly Appreciated!
Casey Rich
"Men love war because it allows them to look serious. Because it is the
one thing that stops women laughing at them."

~John Fowles "The Magus"

#2 casey rich

casey rich

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:53 PM

So - no ideas? To make it even more simple, as I've finished my Scheme of Work for the Unit: Collapse of International Peace and it will take me to the end of the year -- It is unlikely that we'll do much work as a class on World War II, I believe I'll assign reading for that over the summer, Diary of Anne Frank, The Unit in the Ben Walsh Book, and some Worksheets to go along with it so I can check their comprehension when we return.

However, still wondering how I should pace year 2?

German Depth Study - How many weeks are recommended?
Cold War - How far must we get?

Please - any advice from teachers with experience would be greatly appreciated.

~John Fowles "The Magus"

#3 Russell Courts

Russell Courts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:40 PM

Are you doing the IGCSE?

We cover the Cold war first, usually stopping before Cuba at the end of year 1 (which finishes at the beginning of June, so is a month shorter than in the UK), then we start year 2 with Cuba and Vietnam, before doing the Germany depth study from about mid October. We are usually 1/2 way through at Mocks time in Feb and then finish it off in Feb/March, leaving April for revision. We generally don't cover the later Cold War (although we reworked everything this year to take paper 2 it account). I should add that we start with the causes of WWI. The reason why we do the depth study last is that it provides a sort of recap of a lot of the post WWI, inter war stuff. When you say you will assign reading for WWII, why? I don't think it is on the syllabus. That is if you are doing the CIE IGCSE as I said.
Hope that helps.
I think I'll have strawberry...

#4 casey rich

casey rich

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:32 AM

Yes - CIE IGCSE. My students are interested in WWII so I thought I'd give them optional summer reading from our textbook, and required reading of either John Hersey - Hiroshima or The Diary of Anne Frank. Most likely the latter as it is available in Chinese. It seems a shame to build all the way up to that event and then not give them anything (I'm a fan of narrative arcs).

We have gone Year 1: Causes of WWI - Collapse of International Peace . . . the students have gone very slowly due to language difficulty so I won't be able to start on the Cold War until the start of Year 2.

So for Year 2 perhaps we should continue on with the Cold War starting in September/October/November (through to Vietnam) and then start in the Depth Study December/January/February/March.

Thank you for a very helpful reply Russell.

~John Fowles "The Magus"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users