114 replies to this topic

#46 johnwayne

johnwayne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:42 PM

You should really have heard back from the moderator almost by return of post. You need to contact OCR and impress on the 'Customer Care Operative' you speak to (who probably won't have the faintest idea what you're on about) that it's a matter of urgency.

thanks mark - have tried ringing OCR but have been left hanging on for ages!!! ridiculous!!

#47 johnwayne

johnwayne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:53 PM

hi all - have just had an email from our exams officer that he has the 'labels' but no correspondence as to what to send off - all of them or a sample?

#48 Mark H.

Mark H.

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:39 PM

If you have 10 or fewer candidates you send them all off, if more you wait for the Moderator to select a sample. The appalling nature of OCR support for their A-Level Specs, together with their erratic marking, is the main reason we are abandoning them for AQA as of September.
In memory of my boyhood hero Jim Clark (1936-1968): 'Chevalier Sans Peur et Sans Reproche'.

#49 johnwayne

johnwayne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:43 PM

hi mark - and again thank you. yes we have more than 10, so I should wait? I thought so, but just wanted confirmation from other colleagues. so frustrating all this!!!

#50 Mr Reynolds

Mr Reynolds

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:00 PM

hi mark - and again thank you. yes we have more than 10, so I should wait? I thought so, but just wanted confirmation from other colleagues. so frustrating all this!!!

Dear John - I would agree that waiting is your best option. I believe the samples that are required are sent out automatically by the OCR computer system - certainly our cluster of schools received their sample requests on different dates.

#51 CD McKie

CD McKie

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:01 AM

The tasks for next academic year are now available from the website: here

Only half the tasks have been slightly altered so, like me, you may find that your coursework for 2011 is identical to that of 2010.
To you who call yourselves men of peace, I say: You are not safe unless you have men of action on your side.

#52 andria

andria

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:09 PM

can i ask does anyone have a sow for cold war f965 i could have a look at, and/or good ideas of how to teach this topic and make it interesting, between teaching the skills and knowledge :crazy:

#53 Ed Podesta

Ed Podesta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:30 PM

I've just been handed a notice from OCR that demands (amongst other things) that students include a 'cumulative numbers of words on each page'. Ignoring the logical impossibility of having a cumulative number of words on a page, I think what they mean is that they require the students to put a running total of words at the bottom of each page.

This sounds like an enormous pain in the wotsits to me. Does anyone know of a technical fix?

"In the past, philosophers have sought only to understand the world. The point is also to change it." - K. Marx
"Classification is exceedingly tedious" - I. Berlin

ModernWorldGcseHistory.1.gif

OneDamnThing.1.gif

Podestaorguk.1.gif

#54 johnwayne

johnwayne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:05 AM

hi - no, we haven't recieved anything back yet. have they changed the goal posts? this wasn't, to my knowledge in the original specs - it is usually a word count at the end of the essay.

Edited by johnwayne, 18 July 2010 - 08:06 AM.

#55 Ed Podesta

Ed Podesta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:50 PM

hi - no, we haven't recieved anything back yet. have they changed the goal posts? this wasn't, to my knowledge in the original specs - it is usually a word count at the end of the essay.

I think its an additional requirement - they say that it's required for scrips from Jan 2011 onwards.

"In the past, philosophers have sought only to understand the world. The point is also to change it." - K. Marx

OneDamnThing.1.gif

Podestaorguk.1.gif

#56 johnwayne

johnwayne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:17 PM

thanks Ed. Is this in print any where? thanks

#57 Ed Podesta

Ed Podesta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:32 PM

thanks Ed. Is this in print any where? thanks

It is, and here it is! Attached File  OCR Notice.PDF   450.5K   617 downloads

OneDamnThing.1.gif

Podestaorguk.1.gif

#58 johnwayne

johnwayne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:05 PM

thanks again!!!

#59 Mark H.

Mark H.

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:43 PM

OCR are completely neurotic about word limits. They have always claimed that they are acting in accordance with QCA instructions on this, but curiously AQA and Edexcel don't have such draconian guidelines and they also claim to be QCA compliant.
In memory of my boyhood hero Jim Clark (1936-1968): 'Chevalier Sans Peur et Sans Reproche'.

#60 SiobhanT

SiobhanT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:49 PM

Just to reopen this - has anyone any idea about the cumulative word counts? My poor students are now considering doing each page of their essays as separate documents just to fit in with this ridiculous demand. There must be an easier way?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users