114 replies to this topic

#1 MrsCMG

MrsCMG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:35 AM

Hi

I have been left marking all the coursework for this module for 40 students since before Easter due to the only other member of staff 'leaving'. I was wondering if anyone can help. I went on training when it initally changed January 2009 but I was wondering if anyone had any hints of what I should be looking for

claire

#2 johnwayne

johnwayne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 04:26 PM

hi all - my concerns are what forms do we have to fill in. any advice please???

#3 Jenjane

Jenjane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 05:32 PM

Hi

I have been left marking all the coursework for this module for 40 students since before Easter due to the only other member of staff 'leaving'. I was wondering if anyone can help. I went on training when it initally changed January 2009 but I was wondering if anyone had any hints of what I should be looking for

claire

Sympathy sent. I am in a similar position but because of volcic ash. when doing the interpertations I have gone through each paragraph (and the first sentence) looking for the topic to prove synopsis, then the last sentence to look for judgement which is supported by the evaluation of a selection of examples (synthesis)in the main part of the paragraph. If you look at the examples you were given on the inset, you will find that all the good egs follow this pattern. You can apply this also to the investigations. I found it best to mark it and then look at an example from the inset of a similar level and compare it that way. As far as I can see though it is the evaluation that is the most significant thing in this unit.
Jane

Edited by Jenjane, 25 April 2010 - 05:34 PM.

#4 Jeremy H

Jeremy H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:44 PM

The following is copied and pasted directly from an email sent round the OCR community email list in answer to this question.
Hope it helps
Jeremy

For each pupil you should complete a Record of Programme of Study form and ensure that the pupil has signed a Candidate Authentication Statement (http://www.ocr.org.u...h_statement.pdf) to declare that their work is all their own. You also need to complete the Centre Authentication Form (http://www.ocr.org.u...form_ccs160.pdf).

You will shortly be sent mark sheets and address labels for your centre's allocated moderator. You will need to send one copy of the mark sheet to OCR, keep one copy and send one copy to the moderator. Once the moderator receives and processes the mark sheet, he or she will email you (to whichever email address that your centre has registered; probably your Exams Officer's) to request a specific sample of work, which will then need to be sent, with all of the accompanying paperwork.

#5 Matt Spring

Matt Spring

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:20 PM

Any observations on the following point?

The OCR source material guide states that both pieces (interpretations and investigations) should be 'up to 2000 words'.

What if the pupils *exceed* this 2,000-word 'limit' on either piece? Will they be penalised, or is OCR not really too bothered?

Any comments gratefully received!!!

Matt Spring

#6 johnwayne

johnwayne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:47 PM

The following is copied and pasted directly from an email sent round the OCR community email list in answer to this question.
Hope it helps
Jeremy

For each pupil you should complete a Record of Programme of Study form and ensure that the pupil has signed a Candidate Authentication Statement (http://www.ocr.org.u...h_statement.pdf) to declare that their work is all their own. You also need to complete the Centre Authentication Form (http://www.ocr.org.u...form_ccs160.pdf).

You will shortly be sent mark sheets and address labels for your centre's allocated moderator. You will need to send one copy of the mark sheet to OCR, keep one copy and send one copy to the moderator. Once the moderator receives and processes the mark sheet, he or she will email you (to whichever email address that your centre has registered; probably your Exams Officer's) to request a specific sample of work, which will then need to be sent, with all of the accompanying paperwork.

hi and thanks for the info on the coursework paperwork. where do I find 'a record of programme of study' form please????

#7 CD McKie

CD McKie

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:29 AM

Hope it helps
Jeremy

hi and thanks for the info on the coursework paperwork. where do I find 'a record of programme of study' form please????

See p115 of the specification:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/kd/ocr_9582_kd_gce_spec.pdf

I asked the original question via the OCR community email, but they should really have made everything much clearer. They been pretty hopeless at keeping us informed and I'd also like to know just how fussy they are on the word count. Back in January, I used the Coursework Consultancy Service and it took them over a month to reply. It's simply not good enough.
To you who call yourselves men of peace, I say: You are not safe unless you have men of action on your side.

#8 Jeremy H

Jeremy H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:54 AM

Any observations on the following point?

The OCR source material guide states that both pieces (interpretations and investigations) should be 'up to 2000 words'.

What if the pupils *exceed* this 2,000-word 'limit' on either piece? Will they be penalised, or is OCR not really too bothered?

Any comments gratefully received!!!

Matt Spring

I have been on a couple of courses with the head of this unit and the answer is that they are strict on these word limits.
It does matter!
The most recent missive I have seen from them (on the website - here) restates the importance of the word limit and says that from next year we will need to draw a line where 2000 words is reached and stop reading there -I strongly recommend that you read this document. Students also have to put the word count on the first page of the essay.
Footnotes and bibliography are not included in the word count - unless you make points in your footnotes.

Edited by Jeremy H, 27 April 2010 - 10:01 AM.

#9 Mark H.

Mark H.

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:45 AM

We are currently trying to pull our F965 coursework together, so thanks for the advice on this thread. As someone who has considerable experience of marking and moderating coursework with another exam board I can only describe OCR's support for this unit as shambolic. I realise that inveighing against the iniquities of Hills Road has become a hobby-horse of mine on this forum but I am almost becoming convinced that it is part of a conspiracy to drive centres away to other exam boards so that they can close down what remains of their A-Level History operation. Well, if that's so, then they've succeeded. We're switching to AQA from September.
In memory of my boyhood hero Jim Clark (1936-1968): 'Chevalier Sans Peur et Sans Reproche'.

#10 MrsCMG

MrsCMG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:50 AM

We are currently trying to pull our F965 coursework together, so thanks for the advice on this thread. As someone who has considerable experience of marking and moderating coursework with another exam board I can only describe OCR's support for this unit as shambolic. I realise that inveighing against the iniquities of Hills Road has become a hobby-horse of mine on this forum but I am almost becoming convinced that it is part of a conspiracy to drive centres away to other exam boards so that they can close down what remains of their A-Level History operation. Well, if that's so, then they've succeeded. We're switching to AQA from September.

I completely agree with you. OCR has been awful this year (and last year). We are now moving to AQA also - better choice of module and more clarity!

#11 johnwayne

johnwayne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:56 PM

thank you CD McKie for showing me the form!!!

#12 Matt Spring

Matt Spring

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:59 PM

FAO Jeremy H

Thankyou so much for adding the link to the OCR missive on word counts, a copy of which I would have expected OCR to send me. I find this rather horrifying.

Thanks again,

Matt Spring

#13 CD McKie

CD McKie

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:53 PM

FAO Jeremy H

Thankyou so much for adding the link to the OCR missive on word counts, a copy of which I would have expected OCR to send me. I find this rather horrifying.

Thanks again,

Matt Spring

Horrifying is one word for it, as is Mark's use of the word shambolic. I have only just moved over to OCR and I find their whole way of 'doing business' completely incomprehensible.

Thanks for the information Jeremy.
To you who call yourselves men of peace, I say: You are not safe unless you have men of action on your side.

#14 MrsCMG

MrsCMG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:31 PM

can I just ask in AO2B it says that the students need to provide a sound analysis and evaluation. Can I jsut ask what does that mean?

#15 Mark H.

Mark H.

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:38 PM

A good question; like much of the markscheme for this unit you might as well ask 'how long is a piece of string?' I'd be interested in other colleagues' comments.

Edited by Mark H., 14 April 2011 - 12:37 PM.

In memory of my boyhood hero Jim Clark (1936-1968): 'Chevalier Sans Peur et Sans Reproche'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users