• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:47 PM

Step away from the tagged on local history project, covering local history does need to be that painful! Embedding local history is easier than you think! This workshop looks at putting your students’ heritage at the centre of their history curriculum. Gain practical examples on how to weave and sprinkle local history into the national story. Discover how most significant events or themes in the national curriculum can be referred to with local examples. Learn how to unearth your local stories with just a little bit of research. See how easy it is to tie in the themes of movement and settlement. This workshop gives a wide range of practical teaching and learning tips with ideas on how to integrate local history into existing enquiries. Share engaging ideas that have successfully worked in different history departments. Gain easy accessible local history examples from across the UK. Use local history to show your students their connections, to leave them with a real sense of identity and an appreciation of the relevance of the past with their own lives.

Attached Files

Carpe Diem - Seize the Day

#2 Debbie S

Debbie S

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:10 PM

I really enjoyed your workshop ...thanks . I am now inspired to find some interesting things about Kidderminster that don't involve carpets ;)

#3 mps81

mps81

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:16 PM

Yes - very useful - thanks for posting this.

#4 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:34 PM

Thank you! :flowers:

I'll post up the Archaeology links and 50 ways to use a McDonald box for object handling in the next fews days when my energy levels return!

Did you manage to work your way through the 18 pages of archaeological finds in Kidderminster? :lol:

Great to meet you!

#5 Debbie S

Debbie S

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:36 PM

not yet ...will do this week though! My local History board will start looking a bit more interesting hopefully by the end of the week! :flowers:

#6 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:45 PM

Those 18 pages were a shock :lol: but it is something to get you started on treasure in your back garden.

I found these links for you:

you have a local group here:

Kidderminster Local History

Civic society

Vision of Britain

Snapshot of the town

links with Domesday Book

#7 Roy Huggins

Roy Huggins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:55 PM

Thanks for the brill PP. I really want to do your fallen heros activity with my students. I still can't find teh link to the web page where you did a post code search of an area to find out who is names on your local war memorial for adopt a hero.

Excellent workshop - you are a rising star Lesley Anne! :u star:

Roy :jester:

Edited by Roy Huggins, 15 July 2010 - 07:08 PM.

"Men are disturbed, not by the things that happen, but by their opinion of the things that happen." - Epictetus

#8 Guest_Nick Dennis_*

Guest_Nick Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:05 PM

I will be helping to plan the local primary school's unit on local history so this is very useful. :)

#9 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:37 PM

Thank you Roy and Nick

Roy - Mexborough War memorial

Fallen at Langar cum Barnstone top of page 2 a solider from Mexborough

Private Alonzo Burrows, “A” Squadron, 9th Lancers (Queen’s Royals)
Born: Mexborough, Yorkshire
Enlisted: Nottingham
Resident: Barnstone
Died of wounds: 10 August 1918 aged 26
Buried: Grave IIIA BB 9 in Villers-Bretonneux Military Cemetery, France
Son of Samuel and Ann Burrows

www.roll-of-honour.com/Yorkshire/Swinton.html
Loads of fallen soliders from Mexborough

roll of honour
scroll to bottom the page for names:
Men who appear on the plaque depicting those members of the Mexborough Branch of the Oddfellows who served during the 1914-18 War

Hope this helps Roy!

#10 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,545 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:08 PM

I will be helping to plan the local primary school's unit on local history so this is very useful. :)

I've just nominated a local primary for the learning outside the classroom awards. Would be amazed if any secondary school comes withing a country mile of what they do! Details later....

#11 Roy Huggins

Roy Huggins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:55 PM

Cheers Dan,

I'm going to follow up on Lesley Anne's idea and get each form to adopt a soldier for Remembrance Sunday, research his back ground and place a cross in our own memorial gardens created by our vocational digging group!

Roy

Edited by Roy Huggins, 16 July 2010 - 12:28 AM.

"Men are disturbed, not by the things that happen, but by their opinion of the things that happen." - Epictetus

#12 Guest_Nick Dennis_*

Guest_Nick Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:55 PM

That is a challenge I would like to take up!

#13 Roy Huggins

Roy Huggins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:34 AM

If you contact the Royal british Legion, you can buy packs of Remembrance Crosses, which you can get your kids to make.

I've already marked out the area which I use with my students to recreate teh Battle of Hastings.

We marked the Miners Strike in a special final gala in Denaby. Next Year we are making the 100 aniversary of the Denaby Pit Disaster.

Role on August and December 1914! We might try and invite over some German students for a football match!

Roy :jester:

PS History should be real and relevant enough so that you can still feel the pain! Long live empathy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users