20 replies to this topic

#1 Gidz

Gidz

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:50 PM

As a long(ish) time member of the forum, I have read with keenness discussions about Twitter/Facebook and the History classroom. I know some colleagues who have experimented with the software/sites with mixed results. As an avid Tweeter and 'follower' I have found it fairly beneficial in the discussion and dissemination of key information. For example, it is easy to stay abreast of the latest news and trends in our field.

:) :) ;)

On occassion I use my account to discuss aspects of curriculum, lesson success and the pursuit of all things that intrigue and fascinate. In otherwords, to extend the dicussion.

If anyone wants to follow me just PM and I'll send you the link. (I'd post it here but I've been told not to aviod risks....)

Gidz

Ps - I don't work for Twitt,.... I just enjoy using it!

#2 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:58 PM

I think Twitter remains a fantastic tool - especially as it hasn't become laden with adverts and privacy issues like Facebook has. I would recommend it to all teachers as a fantastic source of relevant materials, immediate feedback and dynamic CPD. I'm on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/andyfield

Another teacher recently posted this excellent overview of why she had been converted to Twitter too - well worth reading for those who think the whole thing is a waste of time: http://edtechinclass...-a-twitter-noob

That is it in a nutshell. I am a Twitter Noob because I was not interested in a medium that I felt was silly. The media had presented Twitter to me as a timewaster, and something I did not want a relationship with. Not until I saw relevance and personally experienced the sheer power of these 140-character messages did I realize that I wanted to be a part of this powerful network of sharing professionals. So I jumped in and started sharing. I invite you to do the same. Join me and we will be Twitter Noobs together.

Interestingly when speaking to some of my Year 12s about it this week they also felt it was a tool for following celebrities and little more. Only when I actually showed them did they see it all depends on who you actually follow.

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#3 Gidz

Gidz

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:31 PM

I can be followed:

htp://www.twitter.com/leventhall

or @leventhall

Gidz

#4 Sally Thorne

Sally Thorne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:02 AM

#ukedchat is always very informative, 8pm on a Thursday night :flowers:
I also like searching #historyteacher

When I finally figured it out this spring, it felt like everybody had been having these great discussions and I could hear the buzz but couldn't find them. It was great when I finally managed to join in! I even wrote a bit for the SSAT about it, I think it's marvellous.

Come revision time, I am going to pick a hashtag and tell me year 11s they must join Twitter and search for it, and then tweet revision tips every day.

@MrsThorne ;)

Edited by Sally Thorne, 16 October 2010 - 08:02 AM.

#5 Gidz

Gidz

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:41 PM

Love the hashtag idea! Really immediate way of getting to the route of student support, contact, reassurance and advise. Will be adding myself into your tag ASAP! Aditionally, it would allow stduenst to interact with the advice and for you - the teacher/leader - to see how that advice is being interpreted.

Other projects/uses of Twitter that students might be encouraged by include:

- Recommended books, lesson ideas, or teaching tools.
- Useful web resource, a particular blog post, video, website, book, product or blog
- Daily tip like a word of the day, book of the day, random trivia, useful fact
- Share new studies of interest to other teachers.
- Celebrate timely events.
- Start a Twitter history article club and tweet reactions as you read.

And there are many more teachers/professionals out there that will have far more ideas than I. Just a starting point. Would love to continue this topic more with you, Sally, and anyone else.

Please keep posting your suggestions. ;)

Gidz

When I finally figured it out this spring, it felt like everybody had been having these great discussions and I could hear the buzz but couldn't find them. It was great when I finally managed to join in! I even wrote a bit for the SSAT about it, I think it's marvellous.

Come revision time, I am going to pick a hashtag and tell me year 11s they must join Twitter and search for it, and then tweet revision tips every day.

@MrsThorne ;)

#6 johnmayo

johnmayo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:50 AM

Love the hashtag idea! Really immediate way of getting to the route of student support, contact, reassurance and advise. Will be adding myself into your tag ASAP! Aditionally, it would allow stduenst to interact with the advice and for you - the teacher/leader - to see how that advice is being interpreted.

Other projects/uses of Twitter that students might be encouraged by include:

- Recommended books, lesson ideas, or teaching tools.
- Useful web resource, a particular blog post, video, website, book, product or blog
- Daily tip like a word of the day, book of the day, random trivia, useful fact
- Share new studies of interest to other teachers.
- Celebrate timely events.
- Start a Twitter history article club and tweet reactions as you read.

And there are many more teachers/professionals out there that will have far more ideas than I. Just a starting point. Would love to continue this topic more with you, Sally, and anyone else.

Please keep posting your suggestions. ;)

Gidz

@MrsThorne ;)

Just going to add that the #historyteacher hashtag is really useful although US centric at the moment. You can also follow the UK Cabinet minutes on twitter (from British National Archives) @ukwarcabinet which is follow the daily cabinet minutes from 1940 at present also @mentionthewar

I am @johnmayo BTW

Edited by johnmayo, 18 October 2010 - 09:55 AM.

The only thing in life achieved without effort is failure

#7 Richard Kennett

Richard Kennett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:19 PM

I have also been converted to twitter and started using #historyteacher but the above post is correct, it's totally US centric, therefore I propose a new hashtag group. Would anyone on here like to start using #ukhistchat as a new proposal for posts to discuss practice, share resources etc.??

Hope people are interesting. The revolution could begin here!

Richard

#8 DaveStacey

DaveStacey

Long-term Member

• Admin
  • 957 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:50 PM

The word 'chat' tends to imply a regular weekly 'chat' around an issue, such as those on a Thursday night under the #ukedchat banner.

Would either #ukhistoryteacher or the shorter #ukhist work?

My advice would be to add one (or more) to the next few relevant tweets alongside the #historyteacher one and see which one gains traction. If you use an application such as Tweetdeck rather than the Twitter website it's possible to set searches for hashtags, so you get notified of new tweets that use that as and when they occur.

#9 Russel Tarr

Russel Tarr

Russel Tarr

• Admin
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:07 PM

I started off the "#historyteacher" hashtag last year. I quite liked the idea of it NOT being UK-centric.

I set this facility up here directly afterwards:
History Teachers on Twitter

I haven't really looked at it for a while, but I think it still has some potential - especially the way you can read all the tweets from one person and how (if I get round to doing it...) I could filter out all those "Retweets" or use that information to "rank" the most popular postings...

Hmmm...I feel some geeking coming on...!

"There's an old saying about those who forget history. I don't remember it, but it's good" - Stephen Colbert

#10 johnmayo

johnmayo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:38 PM

Hmmm...I feel some geeking coming on...!

No better man :-)

The only thing in life achieved without effort is failure

#11 Richard Kennett

Richard Kennett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:01 AM

I kind of agree now about the whole keeping it global thing and well done for starting it Russell, we just need lots more people using it! Also does anyone use twitter in the classroom / school for anything more than revision, if so please pm me!

#12 MissKay

MissKay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:32 PM

I have been using Twitter, and a Facebook group, to pass on links that I think might be relevant to pupils. Mostly stuff on iPlayer they can watch, film and book recommendations and revision links. I don't want to put the details here as it contains my school name but I am happy to PM it OR be added to the Twitnet thing on Russell's site OR I am now using the historyteacher hashtag so it might be easier to find and follow that way.

I have it separate to my usual Twitter account.

:)

#13 Gidz

Gidz

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:09 PM

I know that for some/many, micro-blogging can be an intrusion or even an irritant,....
Anyway, hoping to recruit more of you to the twitter 'revolution'. It's great for collating ideas of what his happing in the world of ducation, initatives and brief-dialogue based debate,....

@leventhall

#14 JohnP

JohnP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:07 PM

I know that for some/many, micro-blogging can be an intrusion or even an irritant,....
Anyway, hoping to recruit more of you to the twitter 'revolution'. It's great for collating ideas of what his happing in the world of ducation, initatives and brief-dialogue based debate,....

@leventhall

You may find me at @mrphistory

#15 Tony Fox

Tony Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:08 PM

@leventhall

@foxburg :teacher:
"A parent can bring a child into this world, but a child can bring a parent into the world to come." - from the Talmud

"Had Churchill been a stable and equable man, he could never have inspired the nation. In 1940, when all the odds were against Britain, a leader of sober judgement might well have concluded we were finished. - Anthony Storr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users