• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 andrew c

andrew c

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:44 PM

The History File series 'Nazi Germany' (the "geordie nazis" series) is being retransmitted by the BBC next week, at 3am, Thursday 11th, on BBC2, in a two hour block. Check out the listing information here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...chools/2010/45/

I still get regular emails from teachers about this series, saying that tired old VHS / DVD copies are running out of life - so I thought I'd put this post on the forum in case anyone needs a chance to record a fresh copy.

Andrew C

#2 caldwell

caldwell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:31 AM

The History File series 'Nazi Germany' (the "geordie nazis" series) is being retransmitted by the BBC next week, at 3am, Thursday 11th, on BBC2, in a two hour block. Check out the listing information here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/schedule/schools/2010/45/

I still get regular emails from teachers about this series, saying that tired old VHS / DVD copies are running out of life - so I thought I'd put this post on the forum in case anyone needs a chance to record a fresh copy.

Andrew C

Hi all
Unfortunately I had gone with the Autumn schedule listings and taped the programme from 4 - 6 a.m. not the changed schedule.Therefore I have only got programmes 4 & 5 !!
Could anyone send me a DVD of the series. Our tapes are gradually dying !!

Thanks in antic
I will gladly replaced the DVD :flowers: :flowers:

#3 Andy Rutherford

Andy Rutherford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:18 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/schedule/schools/2010/45/

Andrew C

Hi all
Unfortunately I had gone with the Autumn schedule listings and taped the programme from 4 - 6 a.m. not the changed schedule.Therefore I have only got programmes 4 & 5 !!

Thanks in antic

#4 Andy Rutherford

Andy Rutherford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:19 PM

I'll check my Sky+ box tonight, and if the Geordie Nazis programme has recorded successfully, I'll put it onto a DVD for you!

Edited to say: What changed schedule? Did the BBC move the times?

Edited by Andy Rutherford, 11 November 2010 - 03:20 PM.

#5 caldwell

caldwell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:43 AM

I'll check my Sky+ box tonight, and if the Geordie Nazis programme has recorded successfully, I'll put it onto a DVD for you!

Edited to say: What changed schedule? Did the BBC move the times?

Yes
The Autumn schedule said 4 - 6 which I then passed to our technician. The weekly schedule that you highlighted was 3-5 but I did not see that until after the programme had been transmitted.
Autumn schedule listed as below. Nazi Germany
Life in Hitler's Germany 11 NOV '10
04.00 - 06.00 25 minutes
Opposition to Hitler 11 NOV '10
04.00 - 06.00 25 minutes
The Master Race 11 NOV '10
04.00 - 06.00 25 minutes
The rise of Hitler 11 NOV '10
04.00 - 06.00 25 minutes
Youth in Hitler's Germany 11 NOV '10
04.00 - 06.00 25 minutes
Thanks for your help btw !!
Caldwell

#6 Andy Rutherford

Andy Rutherford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:48 AM

Checked it last night and it recorded successfully. I'll do it for you this weekend!

#7 Simon Ross

Simon Ross

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:10 PM

Sorry for being tick, but is this a programme about Geordies who were Nazis or a programme about Nazis made by Geordies?

S

#8 mps81

mps81

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:47 PM

More the latter - the Nazis have Geordie accents.

#9 stephanie

stephanie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:27 AM

Andrew C

Hi all

Thanks in antic

Do you use mac or pc? Because there are a few iplayer downloaders out there.... I could pm you a link to a really good mac-based one... (I feel really weird about recommending that, but when I think about it there's absolutely no difference between downloading from iplayer to show in the classroom and taping to show in the classroom!)

@_miss_moss_

#10 caldwell

caldwell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:41 AM

Andrew C

Hi all

Thanks in antic

Do you use mac or pc? Because there are a few iplayer downloaders out there.... I could pm you a link to a really good mac-based one... (I feel really weird about recommending that, but when I think about it there's absolutely no difference between downloading from iplayer to show in the classroom and taping to show in the classroom!)

Hi Personally I use a PC But we have a controlled syatem in school which is very hard to bypass. The computers we now use don't even have CD/DVD ports [in case we try to load info ourselves]!!To use iplayer requires it to be placed on each desktop and the technisian would proabbly go mental.
Thanks for the heads up though !!
Caldwell

#11 mps81

mps81

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:04 AM

If you downloaded the programme, though, you wouldn't have to use iPlayer in school at all.

#12 caldwell

caldwell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:55 AM

If you downloaded the programme, though, you wouldn't have to use iPlayer in school at all.

Oh ! I always thought the programmes were 'scrambled' and couldn't be copied from the iplayer mode, hence having to watch them for the time the Beeb put them up ! Duh !! Technology huh! Do you watch the progemme on iplayer and burn to DVD while watching ?
Sorry if this seems a basic question, my IT skills are basic !!
Thanks

Aha ! - have downloaded episode 1, shall try tomorrow to dut it on my external harddreive and see if the school system will accept it. I have tried to do this with Youtube clips in the past but they couldn't play in the school system.
Wish me luck !!

Edited by caldwell, 14 November 2010 - 12:26 PM.

#13 Dave Wallbanks

Dave Wallbanks

• Admin
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:56 PM

Being stupid but how do I copy a programme like this to a DVD? Alternatively which program is best for downloading from Iplayer?
Furthermore can anyone suggest a really good free program for video editting? I use pinnacle videospin but want to investigate alternatives.
There is a light and it never goes out.
Go pray in my church!
http://www.nufc.com

#14 Clare Harrison

Clare Harrison

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:39 PM

Hi Andy

Sorry if this is a bit cheeky - but I did have a copy of this but seem to have left it at my last school! (Just been tearing my attic apart just to check it wasn't hiding up there!) Kicking myself that I didn't realise Learning Zone broadcast it last week! Is there any chance you could send me a copy too. You didn't happen to record the First World war series as well?! Would really love this too.
I would really appreciate if you can help and would be very happy to pay any costs. Drop me a message and I'll send you my address.

Many thanks!!

Clare

#15 stephanie

stephanie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:12 AM

Andrew C

Hi all

Thanks in antic

Hi Personally I use a PC But we have a controlled syatem in school which is very hard to bypass. The computers we now use don't even have CD/DVD ports [in case we try to load info ourselves]!!To use iplayer requires it to be placed on each desktop and the technisian would proabbly go mental.
Thanks for the heads up though !!
Caldwell

As above, the downloader that I use downloads TV as mp4 and Radio as mp3, straight to my portable hardrive, so I just play them straight from that - no disks or iplayer involved! You would need to check that you have something that will play MP4, but even if you can't, there are plenty of aps out there that will convert to AVI etc out there (also useful if you want to burn to dvd, for example).

I will PM the link to those of you that have asked :)

@_miss_moss_

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users