7 replies to this topic

#1 Simon Ross

Simon Ross

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:47 PM

Hi, I am trying to make an online card sort. Each 'card' would have a picture of an individual and their opinion on a key issue. Students would then be able to sort these out freely, ordering and grouping as they would with a paper card sort. Ideally they would also be able to print out their finished product. Does something like this exist? The closest I've come up with are wall wisher, which isn't ideal as it has a 160 character limit, and classtools.net which offers a Diamond 9 and a post it labelling activity - neither of which offer enough flexibility? Alternatively would it be possible to make some sort of template with flash? Does anyone have any experience with this, and how easy is it to pick up? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Simon

#2 Tony Fox

Tony Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:52 AM

Simon

I was looking to do something similar, but could not find anything suitable.
I eventually settled for MS Excel, as it works fine, remember to protect the file, so students don't alter the original.
I am now looking at Google Docs to allow collaboration.
"A parent can bring a child into this world, but a child can bring a parent into the world to come." - from the Talmud

"Had Churchill been a stable and equable man, he could never have inspired the nation. In 1940, when all the odds were against Britain, a leader of sober judgement might well have concluded we were finished. - Anthony Storr

#3 Ben Walsh

Ben Walsh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:09 AM

Interesting query this one. I have never tried it but I have just been messing about with prezi.com and I think you might be able to use that for a 'free' card sort where there are no correct final answers (in other words the most fun kind!). I know prezi was not designed for this but it looks as though it might work, depending on monitor size / size of the image or whatever you are sorting. Anyone tried it?

#4 mps81

mps81

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:24 AM

I have developed a few online card sorts similar to this one using Flash:

http://tring.history...chronology.html

I am interested in developing similar things to this in the future, so please get in touch if you have any ideas.

Edited by mps81, 26 November 2010 - 10:25 AM.

#5 Tony Fox

Tony Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:32 AM

Interesting query this one. I have never tried it but I have just been messing about with prezi.com and I think you might be able to use that for a 'free' card sort where there are no correct final answers (in other words the most fun kind!). I know prezi was not designed for this but it looks as though it might work, depending on monitor size / size of the image or whatever you are sorting. Anyone tried it?

Prezi has a Teacher/student account feature Education accounts
"A parent can bring a child into this world, but a child can bring a parent into the world to come." - from the Talmud

"Had Churchill been a stable and equable man, he could never have inspired the nation. In 1940, when all the odds were against Britain, a leader of sober judgement might well have concluded we were finished. - Anthony Storr

#6 Russel Tarr

Russel Tarr

Russel Tarr

• Admin
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:42 PM

If you don't need the activity to be able to "mark itself" then your best bet would be a bit of dynamic HTML to create "draggable elements".

Try this for size:
Dynamic Drive Draggable Elements script

It's very easy to configure - I remember using it for a "Causes of the Russian Revolution" activity on my website about 10 years ago when I was just learning how to program, so it's pretty straightforward.

"There's an old saying about those who forget history. I don't remember it, but it's good" - Stephen Colbert

#7 Simon Ross

Simon Ross

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:49 PM

Thanks for advice. Will post link to finished product! S

#8 Simon Ross

Simon Ross

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:08 AM

Having a little play with corkboard.me

I think that I would use the 'view only' feature with students if they were using a pre-made sort.

Here is an example:

http://corkboard.me/...68638b9b66278ba

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users