- - - - -

SHP Conference 2011

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_Nick Dennis_*

Guest_Nick Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:48 PM

Almost a month to go before the conference. Are we meeting for a drink in the Friday evening? :)

#32 JenniferJames

JenniferJames

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:40 PM

Defo! What night is pizza night?!
J x

Almost a month to go before the conference. Are we meeting for a drink in the Friday evening? :)

#33 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:09 PM

Drinks on Friday evening? Silly silly question!

Gorbash-! I've already sent a message about quantities of guiness they need to have via current Leeds trinity inmates I'm working with.

#34 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:50 PM

Have we still got the pizza number?
Carpe Diem - Seize the Day

#35 Guest_Nick Dennis_*

Guest_Nick Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:44 AM

I think I will be able to find it again - part of my 'SHP survivor kit' for this year! Shall we make Saturday pizza night? I have school on Friday so will meet you all for my customary cola on the Friday night. :)

#36 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:43 PM

Workshops booked, counting the days :D

#37 JenniferJames

JenniferJames

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 08:35 PM

Not picked my workshops yet!!!
Any recommendations?!
J

#38 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:02 PM

I'm going for history is mint, beyond role play turning your classroom into a tardis, enjoying and achieving strategies for dept and full colour history.

#39 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:23 PM

I've not even looked at the programme yet!

#40 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:42 PM

I hope you have booked your workshops now :)

#41 Gorbash

Gorbash

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:22 PM

Session A ------ Friday 3.30-5.00 ------ Passive receivers or constructive readers? How and why should we engage pupils with academic works of history?
Session B ------ Saturday 9.00 - 10.30 ------ Bridging the gap for the iGeneration - a move towards total immersive learning
Session C ------ Saturday 11.10 - 12.40 ------ "History is mint!" Engaging reluctant historians at Key Stage 4
Session D ------ Saturday 3.30 - 5.00 ------ Significance or semantics? Scaling the ladder of historical significance
Session E ------ Sunday 10.35-12.05 ------ Enjoying and achieving in History: strategies for departmental improvement

A= Because I want to push the boundaries a little and move my students beyond school textbooks and teacher made worksheets
B= Purely becausde my school is about to ban mobile phones/iPods etc and I want to be the fly in the ointment over this! Any practical ideas that I can easily implement will be more than welcome.
C= With the eBacc and the way that my HT is pushing students to do the eBacc now purely because the data suggests they may be capable of a grade C I want a few new ideas....
D= Wanted something that I know I'm a little weak on and need to improve on
E= Likely to be facing OFSHITE in the next academic year so a few new ideas would be good!!!

Hmmmm.....looks like I'm just generally after new ideas! Here's hoping the sessions are good.
Its not who I am but what I do which defines me...

#42 Tony Fox

Tony Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:11 PM

SHP on the Hodder History Nest

http://www.hodderedu...on_history.aspx
"A parent can bring a child into this world, but a child can bring a parent into the world to come." - from the Talmud

"Had Churchill been a stable and equable man, he could never have inspired the nation. In 1940, when all the odds were against Britain, a leader of sober judgement might well have concluded we were finished. - Anthony Storr

#43 Nichola Boughey

Nichola Boughey

Nichola

• Admin
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:33 PM

Any idea how many people will be attending the Teachmeet - will be bringing goodies to give out!!!

#44 Guest_Nick Dennis_*

Guest_Nick Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:58 PM

No idea - get as many people to sign up for the 'fringe' meeting! We had around 30 people last year and I will be producing some posters to put around to promote it. I want to record the session and we also plan to put it live on the internet via a flashmeeting.

People presenting and topics:

Donald Cumming - tbc
Esther Arnott - making history 'real' for students: experiences from OCR Pilot heritage marketing
Dave Stacey - VIDEO PRESENTATION - tbc - Possibly something about what we learned from teaching the OCR Pilot course
Neal Watkin - The 'History' of Literacy: from Bananas to Mortar Boards
Nichola Boughey - 21st Century Online History Teacher's Toolkit based on an HA Bursary Project
Mark Stacey - Wikipedia and WW1 research project
Nick Dennis - SAMR and FRAME thinking for History Teaching
Sally Thorne - using Kindles in the classroom
Julie Wright - Buckets and Balloons - trying to create a Carol Dweck learning environment

I am looking forward to all of them (apart from mine) but I am very interested in Julie Wright's presentation on Carol Dweck's work.

If you want to sign up, please go to this link. You can also state your 'attendance' using the Facebook event invite.

If you are taking pictures of the sessions in the teaching rooms and in the bar (!), please upload them to the Facebook group. If you want to see the conference programme online, please click here.

Looking forward to an exciting, humbling and fun weekend. :)

Edited by Nick Dennis, 29 June 2011 - 06:41 AM.

#45 Nichola Boughey

Nichola Boughey

Nichola

• Admin
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:14 AM

Thanks Nick - I will bring 50 copies of the Toolkit with me and electronic copies as well!

Nicky

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users