71 replies to this topic

#61 Jim Belben

Jim Belben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:42 PM

Dan Lyndon is our current History Nest Guest Blogger - blogging from and about the SHP Conference. See http://bit.ly/joEwWA for 'Ben, BASA, Bazalgette, beers and badgers – reflections on the 2011 SHP Conference'

@HodderHistory
www.hoddereducation.co.uk

#62 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:49 PM

What a fab title. Will look for to reading that.
Carpe Diem - Seize the Day

#63 JenniferJames

JenniferJames

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:49 PM

This seems to work for some people...sometimes!

SHP according to Bony M!

J x

http://www.4shared.c...Executive_.html

#64 Jim Belben

Jim Belben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:11 PM

Brilliant video.

PS For those who missed the announcement at the conference the winner of the Hodder Education prize draw for a free place at the Access to History - Live (A Level CPD event)on HMS Belfast on 14th October was ... Richard Kerridge.

@HodderHistory
www.hoddereducation.co.uk

#65 Guest_Nick Dennis_*

Guest_Nick Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:57 AM

Presentations from the TeachMeet at the Schools History Project conference can be downloaded from here.

#66 Rachel Jones

Rachel Jones

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:04 AM

Shall have to start a new topic soon as this probably can't go on much longer.

However... Ian Dawson's Saturday night plenary. Wow.

He very kindly e-mailed me the script and the PowerPoint and I've been priming my year 8s to perform. It's fantastic!

We only get 35 minutes per lesson so I'm having to do it in two parts, but they really get it. It's amazing. I'm doing the narrator-y parts where I'm explaining what's going on and asking who thinks they can help, and they're popping up and recognising that it's their turn to contribute. I haven't done the props, but I've done pictures of the props and had them laminated so pupils can stand with their "prop" held up in front of them.

This is the class I usually least look forward to each week and yet for the last two weeks, I've been really looking forward to seeing them, and yesterday when we went from Bakewell to as far as Julia Margaret Cameron before the buzzer. Cant' wait for Thursday's lesson so we can finish it all off. And it's the last week of term - I should be winding down, but I'm enthused!

Three cheers for SHP!

Rachel. :woo: :grog: (it's Fentimans in the tankard!)
Que sera, sera

#67 Ian Dawson

Ian Dawson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:37 AM

This is the class I usually least look forward to each week and yet for the last two weeks, I've been really looking forward to seeing them, and yesterday when we went from Bakewell to as far as Julia Margaret Cameron before the buzzer. Cant' wait for Thursday's lesson so we can finish it all off. And it's the last week of term - I should be winding down, but I'm enthused!

Three cheers for SHP!

Hi Rachel - I'm delighted the script's been useful - do let me know of any additions and improvements i can make. I'll be putting some kind of version on Thinkinghistory next month - I'd assumed it would need a lot of tweaking but maybe not given your experience with it.

Your post has improved my morning considerably as i've tugged a big side muscle and even breathing hurts. Plus I'm doing boring chores for my new A level book on the Wars of the Roses - artwork roughs and picture list - not the least creative but the book is my best-ever even if the topic doesn't have a big take up.

Hope Thursday goes just as well

Ian

Edited by Andrew Field, 13 July 2011 - 10:54 PM.
Fixed the quote

#68 Sally Thorne

Sally Thorne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:46 AM

Does anybody know where I can get my hands on a recap of Dale and Russell's workshop on Active Teaching at A-level? I didn't take copious notes and I wish I had. Specifically, I want to know more about the Learning Wheel they were talking about with the 5 Rs. I can only remember 2 of the Rs. This may hamper my ability to use it effectively....

#69 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:18 AM

Are the 5 Rs

5 R FOCUS
RESPONSIBILITY
READINESS
RESOURSEFULNESS
RESILIENCE
REFLECTIVENESS

Reflective Learners: Ask ‘Why?’, stay calm, listen to different opinions, learn from mistakes.
Resourceful Learners: Use imagination, learn in different ways, ask good questions and take risks.
Responsible Learners: Consider the learning of others, get on with things, know right from wrong, take
time to think and plan and contribute positively towards the learning of others.
Resilient Learners: Stick at tasks, have a positive attitude, find interest in what they’re doing, set targets and practise, understand that there is no failure, only feedback.
Reasoning Learners: Can say which is better and why, consider all the evidence, choose the best method, take time to think through and plan responses to problems.
Carpe Diem - Seize the Day

#70 Sally Thorne

Sally Thorne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:56 AM

Thanks Lesley, but they are not the same 5 Rs!
One was Reading Round, another was Recap (I think)....they are 5 tasks that should be undertaken by A-level students as part of their 5 hours of extra study a week.

#71 Rachel Jones

Rachel Jones

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:58 AM

The final installment of Ian's Fat sheep - Fatty Foulkes went well too although they were far shiftier the second time. We started by quickly running through the ones we'd already done to remind ourselves of what each person did or how they were connected, then we had to go from Thomas Cook through to Fatty himself. It took the whole of the lesson (35 minutes) to get through it all as there was a few times where I had to wait for them to listen (why don't they behave as well as the people on the Saturday night did?!) and I did actually overrun by a couple of minutes, but it definitely worked. My plan was slightly hampered by the fact that several people were missing (they were at the Great Yorkshire Show) for the last half and so people had to double up, but with the scrips provided, that didn't matter quite so much as they could stand there with two laminates.

I don't think there's any major need for amending the script. I deleted a few things such as the applause for Brunel's hat as I had a laminated photo of Brunel himself, and didn't use the bit about photo-shopping out the cigar as I thought it would go over their heads. I've packed it all away in a folder to use again next year, but I think I might stick the script for each person onto the back of their laminate for next time as it got a bit flappy with bits of paper all over the place and the neater the better.

Wondering if it would be better to give pupils their scripts beforehand so they can be more confident of what they're saying. I didn't do that as I didn't want to give the game away, but I do think it might have rolled out better if they'd been a bit better prepared. All things to consider for next year.

Fabulous stuff Ian - thank you once again.

What a wonderful thing SHP is...

Rachel. :flowers:
Que sera, sera

#72 Rachel Jones

Rachel Jones

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:26 AM

Hope this works.

Thought I would put my pictures on here so if anyone wants a quick download of images to use with Ian's Fat Sheep... thing, here they are.

There are supposed to be two identical ones with the old books on them. It's not a mistake.

Hope it's of use to someone - least I can do to throw something back out.

Thanks, and happy holidays!

Rachel. :flowers:

Attached Files

Que sera, sera

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users