2 replies to this topic

#1 Mark H.

Mark H.

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:38 PM

I received a brochure about this today and wonder if anyone in the UK already does this or is thinking of doing it. Our school currently does Maths IGCSE and the head has floated the idea of taking others as well, notwithstanding the problems of league tables not recording them. Our results for the new modular GCSE Paper 1 were very good, but it's early days and in any case modular looks like it will be scrapped in a couple of years. I phoned Cambridge for further information and spoke to possibly the most unprofessional receptionist I've ever encountered, who, amongst other things, made sarky remarks (to a complete stranger) about the person I asked to speak to! Be that as it may I'd be interested in any experiences anyone has had. A previous thread I started about this and the related Cambridge Pre-U a year ago attracted no comment whatsoever!
In memory of my boyhood hero Jim Clark (1936-1968): 'Chevalier Sans Peur et Sans Reproche'.

#2 David Bryant

David Bryant

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • 290 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:51 PM

For what it's worth, I have taught one home-schooled candidate the 'old' Edexcel IGCSE in History, which has no coursework component. Having looked at the CIE version, the Edexcel doesn't seem as demanding. However, the Edexcel specification has now changed so my views may be out of date.

Not very helpful, but at least it's a reply!

#3 JohnDClare

JohnDClare

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:27 PM

'Good' schools are being encouraged to swap to IGCSE because it's more old-fashioned (and allegedly harder) than other GCSEs.
Given that it counts no higher than an ordinary GCSE, I can see not point in changing for the sake of changing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users