• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 casey rich

casey rich

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:28 AM

Hey all - I'm having trouble with my administration wanting me to get my Mock Exams marked in one week and would like anyone's experience on timeframe so that I can see if maybe I'm just a slow marker.

First I'll note that I have 95 Students and our mock exam must have all 3 Papers.

A Paper 1 B & C question usually takes me a day to mark all the students. An A type question I can usually complete in half a day.

So, for Paper 1 I plan at 6/7 days for quality marking of 95 students papers as they have to answer 3 Questions total. I know that sounds like a lot doesn't it.

For Paper 2, I'm still having trouble and have to use a Paper with no official marking scheme, so I've decided 3/4 days in the hope that I could actually do that.

With Paper 4, the paper is only 1 hour long, so I'm thinking 3 days.

So that puts me at least 12 days to mark 95 students, 3 Papers. Does this sound crazy too you? Should I just be giving out marks more quickly and not wrangling as much over whether its 5 or 6 marks?

Any advice most appreciated.

Edited by casey rich, 04 March 2011 - 03:30 AM.

"Men love war because it allows them to look serious. Because it is the
one thing that stops women laughing at them."

~John Fowles "The Magus"

#2 john bassett

john bassett

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:51 AM

Thta's a heavy workload!

Makes my marking of 30 Medicine Through Time mock Year 10 papers seem like a walk in the park!

Different issues here: of course the students would love to have their results as soon as possible and I would prefer to ensure to do that, so that they can have the feedback and we can get on with the rest of the course.

However the quality of the marking and more importantly the feedback on how to improve for the future is imperative. Examiners do not not spend long marking exam papers but then again they are not annotating or making suggestions for improvement.

Is there anyone else you can share the burden with? Ask your line manager about the quality of marking they would expect from you and does it equate to the time allocated?
Is there a possibility you could be taken off timetable to allow you time to mark? (unlikely I know but worth a punt).

Edited by john bassett, 04 March 2011 - 04:52 AM.

#3 CD McKie

CD McKie

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:04 AM

In my experience the vast majority of students are mainly interested in their marks, not in reading the annotation. I certainly annotate mock scripts far less than I used to years ago. However, it is absolutely vital that sufficient time is given to going over the paper, pointing out exactly what the mark scheme is driving at.

This probably won't help you very much becausee your marking load is way beyond what is reasonable in that time frame.

Good luck.
To you who call yourselves men of peace, I say: You are not safe unless you have men of action on your side.

#4 casey rich

casey rich

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:14 AM

Well - I've got my extra G1 teacher to help. That gives me 2 people to work on it in 12 days. . . . yippie!

~John Fowles "The Magus"

#5 Jenjane

Jenjane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:42 PM

Well - I've got my extra G1 teacher to help. That gives me 2 people to work on it in 12 days. . . . yippie!

Unless there is something specific that they are missing I usually give just a mark and then note the common mistakes and give them out this as a handout when I feedback on the paper, or copy some really good examples so you can show them what you want rather than write it repetitively.
Jane

#6 JohnP

JohnP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:00 PM

We postponed our mock until after the CA. The boss was quite supportive.I know that's not helpful but I wanted to mention it.

#7 casey rich

casey rich

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 01:44 PM

I think we'll stick to not marking content problems, but only key issues in style/organization.

Throughout the year I've given out photocopies of good writing - I like the idea of doing that with the mock. It'll save a lot on comments, a good, "here, do this!". ;-)

~John Fowles "The Magus"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users