2 replies to this topic

#1 Wilson H

Wilson H

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:39 PM

Sorry this isn't about History....

I was reading a previous thread and saw someone mention the dreaded student loans company. I kind of mistakenly told them I was moving abroad and they told me I had to pay. I have not called or written to them with a payslip.

Has everyone teaching abroad notified them? If so how much are you paying roughly. I don't want a hefty bill when I return home but also don't want to pay now!! Problem!

I have read with interest all the IB info and advice and will now contribute as a new member.

#2 Seb Falk

Seb Falk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:30 AM

Late response, but in case you're still interested...

I told them I was moving abroad and (if I remember rightly) completed a form on which I stated my current earnings. From that they calculated my repayments - I think I was paying about 150/month, but that would obviously depend on your salary, as well as possibly the amount of loan you have outstanding.

Annoyingly, when I completed a UK tax return (I own part of a house back in the UK so had to be taxed on the rental income) they stopped taking my money, arguing that now I was paying tax in the UK they would take my repayments out of that. As the rental income is nowhere near the personal allowance limit, they're not taking anything.

#3 Wilson H

Wilson H

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:07 AM

Late response, but in case you're still interested...

I told them I was moving abroad and (if I remember rightly) completed a form on which I stated my current earnings. From that they calculated my repayments - I think I was paying about 150/month, but that would obviously depend on your salary, as well as possibly the amount of loan you have outstanding.

Annoyingly, when I completed a UK tax return (I own part of a house back in the UK so had to be taxed on the rental income) they stopped taking my money, arguing that now I was paying tax in the UK they would take my repayments out of that. As the rental income is nowhere near the personal allowance limit, they're not taking anything.

thanks.....not sure what to do! I am the same and rent a property. Let see what happens!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users