#1 NeilM

NeilM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:11 PM

Hello,

After several phone calls and google trawls I cannot find the solution to a thorny problem.

I've recently added a twitter feed to www.pastmatters.org relatively successfully using code found via google. My problem is that I've entered it into a DWT (Dynamic Web template) in Web Expression to make like easier as it will then cascade into all the pages. however the box I've inserted does not move down the other page content in the same way as if i entered plain text. Which is baffling me....

See here exactly what I mean http://www.pastmatte...usades_home.htm It should force the footer further down but it won't!!

Is there a simple trick for a simple site designer to follow?

Any help greatly appreciated,

neilm
NeilM

Life is an elaborate metaphor for Cricket.

We are at times too ready to believe that the present is the only possible state of things Marcel Proust (1871-1922)
The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new lands, but in seeing with new eyes. Marcel Proust,

#2 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:02 PM

Things like this are caused by new code (i.e. the code you added in to get the Twitter feed working) closing a <div> or <span>. It should be a simple matter of removing / playing around with those.

Look on line 203 and move the </div> code to just above the </body> code on line 229. That fixes the issue.

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#3 DaveStacey

DaveStacey

Long-term Member

• Admin
  • 957 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:05 PM

I've had a quick look at the code and there are a few possibilities, although I suspect they may in part be down to your choice of widget.

Have you thought about using the official twitter widget? - http://twitter.com/a.../widget_profile

I *think* it will allow to better control the width of your twitter stream as well (In Chrome it's currently overflowing the sidebar to the right)

Once you've tried that, it may just be a case of finding this line in your code:

<!-- Begin Right Column --> 
	<div id="column_r" style="left: 7px; top: 0px; width: 241px; height: 477px"> 
		<!-- #BeginEditable "sidebar" -->

And editing the 'height' to something larger.

Yeah. What he said! ^^^ ;)

Edited by DaveStacey, 13 March 2011 - 11:06 PM.

#4 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:25 PM

Actually sorry - my quick fix doesn't work - it was Dreamweaver fixing all the code within the page for me. Dave is right to mention about the widget you've used not being the ideal one, but the actual fix is easy - remove the fixed height from your right-hand section.

I'd also suggest removing the Twitter feed you've actually got and adding this one in instead:

<script src="http://widgets.twimg.com/j/2/widget.js"></script>
<script>
new TWTR.Widget({
  version: 2,
  type: 'profile',
  rpp: 4,
  interval: 6000,
  width: 'auto',
  height: 300,
  theme: {
	shell: {
  	background: '#333333',
  	color: '#ffffff'
	},
	tweets: {
  	background: '#000000',
  	color: '#ffffff',
  	links: '#4aed05'
	}
  },
  features: {
	scrollbar: false,
	loop: false,
	live: false,
	hashtags: true,
	timestamp: true,
	behavior: 'all'
  }
}).render().setUser('pastmatters').start();
</script>

However, the actual fix to your page is to remove the fixed height on line 138:
<div id="column_r" style="left: 7px; top: 0px; width: 241px; height: 477px">
to
<div id="column_r" style="left: 7px; top: 0px; width: 241px;">

You can just change this above code and it will fix the issue.

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users