7 replies to this topic

#1 Helen Evans

Helen Evans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 05:35 PM

What are your thoughts on the DNA paper today?

Since the nominated topic was the development of Penicillin and DNA and of course there is much less material on DNA than Penicillin, I was somewhat perturbed to see no mention of DNA whatsoever, as I think we many of my pupils. Unfortunately I was not able to judge their reaction because I was out visiting new Year 6s at a feeder primary.

My initial reaction was very negative, but the sources provided alot of info and the 'booklet' I gave them on DNA contained more of the right info than I'd thought on closer inspection. However I felt that some of the questions required a significant amount of scientific knowledge, especially on the impact of the discovery of the sructure of medicine on future developments. The able ones, especially those that do single science will be fine, but yet again I feel this paper was not really accessible to the least and less able.

#2 mattzb

mattzb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 08:32 PM

felt that the paper was relatively fair, if they had looked at the both the info we had given on the development of dna + who deserves credit for it... thought the question on using source a to explain about a pre 1950 development when the source was watson was a bit nasty... *crosses fingers and hope pupils had really developed their dna knowledge*

#3 Dan Dyson

Dan Dyson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 08:46 AM

Personally i thought this was the worst exam i have ever seen. I thought the questions were confusing, the source material difficult to read and understand. For a course which claims to appeal to pupils through interesting stimulus etc this exam was a perfect example of why history is seen as being hard. I am sure when i did my degreee that i faced easier exams! Though that may mean my degree was not that good!! Having showed the paper to teachers of other subjects they are shocked at the level of detail needed - they then asked what the foundation paper was like - and were even more shocked to realise that was it.
I feel we had covered the topic in sufficient depth - and the edexcel for medicine book - though not having a lot - did have enough material to cover the paper.
The opupils looked shell shocked and when i dismissed them from the exam hall i did comment that i thought the exam was "pure evil" to which they all agreed. I just hope that my expected high flyers managed to cope in particular - i am relying on them to help get the school out of special measures. Overall to finish the two years of the course with a paper like that was most unfair and demoralising for pupils and staff.
Anyone find it easy?
Dan D
:curse: :surrender: :shrug: :pirate:

First experience of medicine paper 2 - is it always so science based?

Edited by Dan Dyson, 15 June 2003 - 09:48 AM.

Beware of the History Teacher,
Cause of many a pupilís sorrow,
Though he drones on about the past
His homework is due in tomorrow!

#4 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 03:55 PM

We don't do Edexcel, but why don't you complain to the Board?

If the majority of candidates had problems with the Paper, that should become apparent at the Standardisation Meeting and during the marking process and taken account of at the grade Awards meeting. If lots of teachers have written in to complain that should also be taken on board by the Chief Examiner and the Team Leaders.

#5 mekon

mekon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 08:57 PM

Felt the paper was okay if they had followed the revision set - but didn't realise I was teaching Science as well as History. Most of mine ran out of time.... :unsure: Not sure if they wrote quality or just wrote :huh: Oh Well - shall see in the summer.
However I feel that the content in the Teaching books is limited compared to what they expect the students to know. I now they should be motivated to research for themselves but even still a starting block is required for even the most able. I found that the new differentiated Medicine book by SHP had far more information than the core text book!
This particular topic requires a lot more of the students than other topics.
It is my feeling that medicine should be further split into two periods so that they have more chance of deploying their knowledge effectively.
When asked "what should I revise sir in Medicine?" Where do you start! I went for the key figures and then looking at how the factors link through the topic but is this the most effective way of delivering revision? :huh:

#6 Dan Dyson

Dan Dyson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 09:57 PM

Overall my biggest complaint about the paper after a few days to reflect - is the sheer amount of science they were expected to know. Given that there are no foundation papers in history that paper will have been sat by a great number of candidates who will have been entrered for foundation in GCSE Science - i don't feel that this paper was fair to the majority of candidates, my year 10's who have been given it to look at are filled with fear.
THANKYOU VERY MUCH EDEXCEL FOR REALLY HELPING US TO SELL OUR :censor: SUBJECT
Dan D
:curse:
Beware of the History Teacher,
Cause of many a pupilís sorrow,
Though he drones on about the past
His homework is due in tomorrow!

#7 Dan Lyndon

Dan Lyndon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 08:36 AM

I had mixed feelings about the exam. Personally I was quite pleased as for the first time I predicted correctly a few pieces on the paper - It had to be DNA as it was the second time it has been chosen and it was the 50th anniversary. I hads used the picture source and a quote from Watson's Double Helix in the mock and I also guessed that the final question would be about rosalind franklin. (I guess 5 yeears of being an Edexcel paper 2 examiner had paid off - I have more of a gut instinct about the way they set the exam now). However, even with these fortunate advantages, my students would have found this incredibly hard. The amount of text they had to read for a start would have seriously put off my lower and middle ability students and there were some complicated questions which would have thrown the lot of them. I return to the comments that I made in an earlier posting -http://www.schoolhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=1339 - time for a foundation paper.
Until the lion has a historian of his own, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
comptonhistory.com
blackhistory4schools.com

#8 mattzb

mattzb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 07:56 PM

although we had managed to put a revision pack together for our pupils on the basis that if the board sent paper was penicillian we'll go with dna, we found that edexcel were not very co-operative in giving ideas of where to get source material from - beckons the question that if the board don't know where to get material from, how do they expect 15/16 yr olds to do so.... :unsure:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users