44 replies to this topic

#1 Roy Huggins

Roy Huggins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:45 PM

Hi Folks,

Apologies for my absence from the forum, I've been busily working away at the interactive whiteboard face at school. Events at school have absorbed a lot of my time, but I thought that I woudl take this opportunity to share the fruits of my labours.

The attached booklets are not perfect and represent a work in progress that addresses the particular concerns of my school. about 3 years ago, GCSE History had its curriculum time reduced to 2 hours a week. There simply was not enough enough curriculum time to deliver all the content, so I had to find a way of reducing the time my students spent making notes and instead focusing on the core skills that were being assessed by OCR. The nature of our students mean that many of them do not revise and the attendence of some means that they miss key sections of the course. When it came to revision they rarely took their books home or the expensive revision booklets that we had spent ages designing for them.

I cast around for a long time looking at the ideas of colleagues at SHP and local schools and eventually came up with the attached formula which works very well for my students. It combines both a revision booklet with built in exam board questions and pupil mark schemes. The idea being to give them the revision notes at the start of each topic, instead of wasting time marking notes. This then gave us the opportunity to spend more time getting our students to do past paper questions which tested their core knowledge and skills. This in turn helped to not only reduce our workload, but gave us a far better picture of their progress and provided us with all sorts of wonderful opportunities for peer and self assessment!

A typical history lesson will begin the usual starters and hooks, followed by a short teacher presentation using either the text book or some form of multimedia. We may well make some summary notes into a graphic organiser of the types I discussed in my whiteboard seminar. This part of the lesson will most probably take between 20 - 30 minutes. I will then dish out my class set of highligter pens and get them to summarise the information in the revision section for 10 minutes before setting them one of the exam questions in exam conditions. They then swap and use the pupil mark schemes to peer and self assess each others answers, write constructive comments and then feedback to each other. Once in a while, I will use my viewer to display someone's answer on the IWB and get the class to have a go at marking it. If they struggle with an answer we will then have a go at modelling an answer on the board so that they know what a good one looks like.

Anyway, I'll chip in a little more later on in the seminar, please do have a look at the resources below, feel free to share them, play with them and make them suit your own educational environment. They are not perfect, but by the time my students have loved them to death and customised them with their own answers and feedback, they always take them home with them to revise.

Kind Regards

Roy :jester:

PS Why reinvent the wheel?

Edited by Roy Huggins, 31 March 2011 - 06:37 PM.

"Men are disturbed, not by the things that happen, but by their opinion of the things that happen." - Epictetus

#2 Roy Huggins

Roy Huggins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:54 PM

International Relations

Treaty of Versailles

Attached File  Were_the_Peace_Treaties_of_1919_Cover_Mex.doc   155.5K   262 downloads
Attached File  T of V Revision Booklet.doc   1.47MB   326 downloads
Attached File  Questions and Mark Schemes for T of V.doc   1.64MB   225 downloads

The League of Nations

Attached File  Cover L of N Mex .doc   266.5K   144 downloads
Attached File  League of Nations.doc   2.28MB   212 downloads
Attached File  Questions and Mark Schemes.doc   2.03MB   173 downloads

Causes of the 2WW

Attached File  Cover Page - Steps to 2WW.doc   681.5K   176 downloads
Attached File  Revision Pack Steps to 2WW.doc   2.17MB   222 downloads
Attached File  Questions & Mark schemes for steps to 2WW.doc   1.43MB   179 downloads

Edited by Roy Huggins, 31 March 2011 - 12:07 AM.

"Men are disturbed, not by the things that happen, but by their opinion of the things that happen." - Epictetus

#3 Roy Huggins

Roy Huggins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:06 AM

British Depth Study 1890 - 1918

The Liberal Reforms

Attached File  Front Page.doc   210K   108 downloads
Attached File  Liberal Reforms.doc   3.62MB   179 downloads

Votes For Women

Attached File  Front Page.doc   395.5K   121 downloads
Attached File  Votes for Women.doc   7.7MB   193 downloads

The Home Front - Joint Project with Andy Hill

Attached File  Front Page.doc   60K   106 downloads
Attached File  Revision Notes.doc   66K   161 downloads
Attached File  Homefront Pack 2010.doc   5.16MB   184 downloads

#4 Roy Huggins

Roy Huggins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:11 AM

Modern World Depth Study - USA

The USA in the 1920s

Attached File  AFL & Revision USA in the 1920s.doc   299.5K   225 downloads

The New Deal

Attached File  Front Cover.doc   37.5K   77 downloads
Attached File  USA 1930s AFL & Revision booklet 2.doc   2.3MB   187 downloads

#5 Roy Huggins

Roy Huggins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:15 AM

Hi Folks,

These resources are constantly under review and are by no means perfect but I would like to thank the following people for helping to suggest ideas, redraft ideas and put a lot of effort into themselves in creating some of the resources:

Dale Harden, Andrew Hill, Ben Walsh, Kathryn McNeil and Dan Moorehouse.

I would also like to thanks Steven Jolly and the Dearne High School for the inspiration that they have given me in developing these revision and AFL packs.

Kind Regards

PS The first one, which desparately needs reviewing was teh USA in the 1920s, but with all resources its the AFL methodology that turns it into an all singing and dancing lesson.

Edited by Roy Huggins, 05 May 2011 - 08:55 PM.

#6 chris clayton

chris clayton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:03 AM

Many thanks Roy, as ever they are inspirational. I must try and use these as a template for something similar on Germany over the summer.
Best wishes
Chris

#7 Malarvilie

Malarvilie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:00 AM

Brilliant, Roy! I don't actually teach these topics at GCSE but will bhe able to use some of the pages as starter activities or quick revision sheets for my A level classes.

Thank you

Mal
......I have the body of a weak and feeble woman
but I have the heart and stomach of a King!

#8 Roy Huggins

Roy Huggins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:13 PM

Hi Folks,

If you don' teach OCR MWH you could easily extract the revision section and just download the last three years worth of exam board questions from your board and create your own AFL section.

The mistake that I made maybe 5 years ago was to leave doing past paper questions until the end of the course. Now, due the shortage of curriculum time, my students do past paper questions rather than notes. You'll notice how I've cleverly created some of my own exam style questions so that all the topics are covered.

The beauty of this system is that its a pleasure to mark the questions, the students get immediate feedback from their peers and the opportunity to share the learning. Whenever I've been observed by Ofsted, HMI, LEA etc I've always got at least good with outstanding withe this sort of lesson. It works, although variety is the spice of ife so don't forget to vary it once in a while - my poor Year 10s!

Kind Regards

#9 petelee

petelee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:43 PM

Absolutely fantastic resource. Thank you for sharing.

#10 j hewson

j hewson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:14 PM

Roy, these documents should be at the heart of every OCR MWH teacher's planning. They are simply brilliant resources and are hugely appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by j hewson, 31 March 2011 - 07:17 PM.

#11 Elizabeth Browning

Elizabeth Browning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:46 PM

This is brilliant, you are a genius

#12 Martyn Ellis

Martyn Ellis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:21 AM

Thank you.

Very useful resources.

#13 johnwayne

johnwayne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:02 PM

hi Roy - you've done it again - absolutely brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#14 JohnP

JohnP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:11 PM

I know I downloaded these previously but they are excellent resources Roy, thanks very much.

#15 jennyroberts

jennyroberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:54 PM

Thank you :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users