42 replies to this topic

#16 marie w

marie w

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:44 PM

I had one idea back -

Why was there some tension between young people and Nazi Regime between 1934-45?

Peoples thoughts on this?

USA Topic -

Something about conflict Over new deal?

I like the tension theme, however I am not sure there is enough scope by just concentrating on young people. Also, was there much tension, didn't the majority of youth enjoy their status, Hitler Youth etc?

I know this was my worries when I have got back as worry not enough to discuss (more a what question...)

I assume - you look at WHY there was no tension from some (education, youth groups, propaganda (could even look at role of depression and rise- hero) and compare to why and how some groups did not fall for it.. swing kids etc with war as a catalyst for change and poss compulsory service 1939? How you conclude that I don't know?

#17 Roy Huggins

Roy Huggins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:55 PM

I had one idea back -

Why was there some tension between young people and Nazi Regime between 1934-45?

USA Topic -

How about

Why was there disagreement between the Republicans and Democratics between 1933 and 1941?
why was there tension between Jews and the Nazi Regime between 1933 - 1939?

Roy
"Men are disturbed, not by the things that happen, but by their opinion of the things that happen." - Epictetus

#18 JohnP

JohnP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:24 PM

I had one idea back -

USA Topic -

How about

Why was there disagreement between the Republicans and Democratics between 1933 and 1941?

Roy

Could be on a winner there Roy with the Nazi question. Isn't "tension" underselling the Jewish predicament a tad?

#19 welshie

welshie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:41 PM

Hi,

anyone had any thoughts for the USA C.A

#20 Roy Huggins

Roy Huggins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:45 PM

I had one idea back -

USA Topic -

How about

Roy

Could be on a winner there Roy with the Nazi question. Isn't "tension" underselling the Jewish predicament a tad?

Smile - I'm open for suggestion?

Roy :jester:
"Men are disturbed, not by the things that happen, but by their opinion of the things that happen." - Epictetus

#21 Clare Gaynor

Clare Gaynor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:31 PM

We did Vietnam for the CA this year, and we are looking at the tensions between Truman/USA and Stalin/USSR c.1945-53.

i'd like to do something about prohibition or the Nazis :unsure: but our study is Germany for p1.....

#22 Jayne

Jayne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:51 PM

Hi all - I did terrorism as a study in depth last year and am going to do what Roy just suggested - do the moidern world study - why has terrorism become such an important issue. Seems like I will be collecting articles on Bin Laden for a while! Does anyone know if you have to get approval for the question every year?
Thanks

I would think it is safer to do so ;) I can see that the question would work well, the bigger issue is what it should contain :huh:
I will have to get my thinking cap on for this one. I'm thinking that it would still be ok to look at the past to examine the roots of Islamic terrorism with focus on the islamic attacks on the west but I want this clarified before I start it in September

#23 johnwayne

johnwayne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 05:14 PM

hi all - has anyone got any ideas for the USA (wording) - individual Hoover/FDR or Event depression/new deal. Last time we were asked to compare two???

#24 daryl_bond

daryl_bond

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:58 AM

Hi all,

I'm planning the OCR Controlled Assessment 2012 at the moment - but have become stuck, so seeking out some help! I'm new to the department. Last year the department did the two individuals questions, comparing MLK and Malcom X. I am keen to study the Civil Rights Movement again, as the students do seem really keen on the idea - but I am struggling with the new question where you now have to compare an individual with an 'impersonal factor' - has anyone got any suggestions as to what I can compare MLK (or another individual) with? Many Thanks. Daryl.

#25 Paul M

Paul M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:49 PM

We did a comparison of MLK and Johnson last year, but are moving away from Civil Rights partly because we found it difficult to pick something as the 'impersonal factor'.

All we were able to think of was 'the Second World War' or something like 'the actions of politicians' - ie. broadening the Johnson element from last year to look at political changes in general. But we weren't sure if that would qualify as an 'impersonal factor'.

So we've decided to switch to the Bolshevik Revolution and compare Lenin to the First World War.

#26 Sarah Wilde

Sarah Wilde

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:57 PM

Hi all,

I'm planning the OCR Controlled Assessment 2012 at the moment - but have become stuck, so seeking out some help! I'm new to the department. Last year the department did the two individuals questions, comparing MLK and Malcom X. I am keen to study the Civil Rights Movement again, as the students do seem really keen on the idea - but I am struggling with the new question where you now have to compare an individual with an 'impersonal factor' - has anyone got any suggestions as to what I can compare MLK (or another individual) with? Many Thanks. Daryl.

Me too! Wasn't able to think about this before paper 1 but now I'm on it- but can't think- I have some fab resources on civil rights if you want them Daryl.

#27 daryl_bond

daryl_bond

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:54 AM

Hi all,

Me too! Wasn't able to think about this before paper 1 but now I'm on it- but can't think- I have some fab resources on civil rights if you want them Daryl.

That would be great! Many thanks. I spent most of yesterday afternoon trying to think of a question - but made little progress. I really like the idea of teaching the civil rights but starting to wonder if it is going to prove too tricky?!

#28 BarbaraH

BarbaraH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:25 PM

You can compare MLK to LBJ - idealist, visionary vs practical, pragmatic. The need to actually have government power to change things in a concrete way rather than just inspire?

#29 marie w

marie w

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:47 PM

It is worrying that people seem to be struggling so much and having to change what they taught last year - I too am now switching from depth study to individual unit - which means more writing of SOW and resources all due to the nature of the questions. This is surely a big problem for more than just a handful and not helpful for consistency and allowing SOW to be embedded and developed.

#30 Paul M

Paul M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:29 PM

You can compare MLK to LBJ - idealist, visionary vs practical, pragmatic. The need to actually have government power to change things in a concrete way rather than just inspire?

That was fine this year, but next year the question requires you to compare your chosen individual with an 'impersonal factor', which is why people seem to be struggling to find a question to fit MLK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users