• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 a.blake

a.blake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:11 PM

What about comparing significance of Mlk with Black Power movement?

#32 Wills

Wills

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:29 AM

It is worrying that people seem to be struggling so much and having to change what they taught last year - I too am now switching from depth study to individual unit - which means more writing of SOW and resources all due to the nature of the questions. This is surely a big problem for more than just a handful and not helpful for consistency and allowing SOW to be embedded and developed.

Do we not have to do a depth study then? I thought we had to teach one of the depth studies completely and then focus on the question we choose in the week before the written task?

I always did USA for the old coursework so have all my resources and last year we were ok with the question stems but I am really struggling this year and need to decide this week really - so confused.

When you say 'individual unit' what do you mean?

Helen.

#33 daryl_bond

daryl_bond

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:45 AM

What about comparing significance of Mlk with Black Power movement?

I like the idea of this question - I think there should be enough meat in there for the students to answer it well?! Hopefully. Cheers!

#34 marie w

marie w

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:38 AM

It is worrying that people seem to be struggling so much and having to change what they taught last year - I too am now switching from depth study to individual unit - which means more writing of SOW and resources all due to the nature of the questions. This is surely a big problem for more than just a handful and not helpful for consistency and allowing SOW to be embedded and developed.

Do we not have to do a depth study then? I thought we had to teach one of the depth studies completely and then focus on the question we choose in the week before the written task?

I always did USA for the old coursework so have all my resources and last year we were ok with the question stems but I am really struggling this year and need to decide this week really - so confused.

Helen.

If you go to OCR and read guidelines they are all quite different - I can't just teach Germany 1918-1945 and then choose the Individual question, as that unit requires you to focus more on this idea of a significant individual and compare them to other individual and looking greater at historiography. So yes there are some lessons I can keep but there are also others that I need to bump - by my reckoning I am added 8 new lessons. That doesn't sound a problem but as we have all our resources online it just means more unnecessary work.

#35 j hewson

j hewson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:11 AM

We thought at great length about the controlled assessment issue. In the end, we have given ourselves more options. We have two controlled assessments planned- one on the causes of WW1, another on the changes to teenage life from 1939-79. Depending on the questions, we can choose between the two. More planning and more work, initially, but it has allowed us to be flexible in our delivery and fit the questions better.

#36 johnwayne

johnwayne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:34 PM

hi all - does anyone have a link / email for the coursework adviser - I want to run some ideas by them? I can't find it on Interchange! thanks

#37 Roy Huggins

Roy Huggins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:00 PM

Hi Guys,

What do you think to this question

How important was Truman’s desire for revenge for Pearl Harbor compared to the need to scare the USSR in the decision to drop the Atomic bomb?

With these resources?

Attached File  Controlled Assessment Source Booklet on the Atomic Bomb.docx   152.06K   999 downloads
Attached File  Why did the USA drop the Atomic Bomb.ppt   1.87MB   2407 downloads

I haven't submitted it yet to teh coursework advisor, I could also do with the link, but the resources and interpretations in this booklet should hit the assessment criteria.

I plan to teach a module on the technology used during the Second War and how it impacted on Civilians. So I intend to look at the Western, Eastern Front as well as the War in North Africa and The Pacific. I have loads of time, but if you wanted to do a quick version you could just compare and contrast the Eastern Front and the Pacific in order to get across the key interpretations. However, I'm looking forward to getting stuck into controversial topics such as city bombing, especially Dresden.

I intend to take my time and enjoy teaching this old AQA unit and do the Second World War in all its glory using Ben's text books. Loads of brilliant videos to watch including the day that changed the world and all the old History file and newer ones on interpretations - i also forgot to mention clips from Saving Private Ryan, Enemy at the Gate and Pearl Harbor!

This topic has it all to keep them coming back for more!

Roy :jester:
PS All suggestions or refinements on the question welcome?

Edited by Roy Huggins, 16 June 2011 - 08:03 PM.

"Men are disturbed, not by the things that happen, but by their opinion of the things that happen." - Epictetus

#38 lthompson

lthompson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:15 AM

I had one idea back -

Why was there some tension between young people and Nazi Regime between 1934-45?

Peoples thoughts on this?

USA Topic -

Something about conflict Over new deal?

How about

Why was there disagreement between the Republicans and Democratics between 1933 and 1941?
why was there tension between Jews and the Nazi Regime between 1933 - 1939?

Roy

I am really struggling with this years question stems. I have to do USA 1919-41 because of usual resource problems & we were able to do an ok question this year. I just cannot see how to do a decent question this year & am desperate !
I would normally expect to do option 4 : study in depth but cannot see how to link it to the question stems on confict. Please help!!

#39 lthompson

lthompson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:32 AM

Helen.

Hi
I think we may be in a similiar position to you as regards the USA CA - am struggling to find any good ideas at all to fit in with this years sentence stems and all I can think of is something to do with conflict over the New Deal - close to who didn't like it / benefit from it & why. Is this along the lines you are thinking?
Louise

#40 Wills

Wills

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:02 PM

Please can I have comments on the following if you are au fait with USA 1900-1941

Task 1: The Role of the Individual in History - How important was individual X compared to impersonal factor Y in Z?

How important was FDR’s personality compared to New Deal policies in the 1936 election result?

Task 2: A Thematic Study in Twentieth Century History - Did changes in X happen at the same rate over the period Y?

Did changes in the lives of urban and rural dwellers in the USA happen at the same rate over the period 1920-1932?

Task 4: A Study in Depth - Why was there X between Y and Z during the period A?

Why was there disagreement between the Republicans and Democrats during the period 1933 and 1941?

Why was there disagreement between ‘Wets’ and ‘Drys’ during the period 1900 and 1933?

cheers,
Helen

#41 E Rickards

E Rickards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:16 PM

For role of the individual we are going for:

How important was MLK compared to the Federal Government in advancing the civil rights for Black Americans?

Essentially this is the same Q as last year but easier - last year they compared MLK to LBJ and now we can bring in JFK and eisenhower.

I might be wrong but I get the impression quite a few people are changing their topic to fit the Q which involves a lot of extra work and stress. Surely it is best to devise a good scheme of work (e.g. broad topic on civil rights) and a good source book and reuse it every year.

#42 R. Arnold

R. Arnold

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:00 PM

For role of the individual we are going for:

How important was MLK compared to the Federal Government in advancing the civil rights for Black Americans?

Essentially this is the same Q as last year but easier - last year they compared MLK to LBJ and now we can bring in JFK and eisenhower.

I might be wrong but I get the impression quite a few people are changing their topic to fit the Q which involves a lot of extra work and stress. Surely it is best to devise a good scheme of work (e.g. broad topic on civil rights) and a good source book and reuse it every year.

Totally agree. It took two of us 3 WEEKS to create SoW and teaching booklet on Causes of WWOne but we have now used the same resources three times.

#43 Roy Huggins

Roy Huggins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:59 PM

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have an uptodate copy of the markschme?

Kind Regards

Roy
"Men are disturbed, not by the things that happen, but by their opinion of the things that happen." - Epictetus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users