• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Safeena

Safeena

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:22 AM

Hi. I am due to start in a brand new school in august and have been away from teaching history for a while. Have been given responsibility to choose both gcse and a level specifications. I have opted for edexcel SHP b for gcse but need some help choosing a level one.. Can you tell me what you think.?

Which specifications are modular for example?

Thanks to everybody in advance

#2 Chouan

Chouan

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:48 PM

They're modular in that you do 2 modules each year, which are examined at the end of the year. I'd look at areas in which you have interest, as a first step.

#3 Pauntley

Pauntley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:26 PM

Hello

There is some relevant information and guidance re the Edexcel GCE specification on this link:

http://www.edexcel.c...x?editorial=190

Best Regards

Mark

#4 Ed Waller

Ed Waller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 05:46 AM

Hi. I am due to start in a brand new school in august and have been away from teaching history for a while. Have been given responsibility to choose both gcse and a level specifications. I have opted for edexcel SHP b for gcse but need some help choosing a level one.. Can you tell me what you think.?

We do SHP Edexcel at GCSE (Medicine, Surgery and Germany). We follow that in Year 12 with Government intervention 1815-1875(Poor Law & Public Health) and Germany 1918-1990. Year 13 we do 20th Century Government intervention and USA boom and Bust.

We claim that there are links between GCSE and GCE so students can focus a little bit more on A level skills while deepening and extending their knowledge. Also that the units themselves offer similar ideas - why do governments step in?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. - Groucho Marx

#5 Safeena

Safeena

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:43 PM

Thanks for all your help and suggestions

We do SHP Edexcel at GCSE (Medicine, Surgery and Germany). We follow that in Year 12 with Government intervention 1815-1875(Poor Law & Public Health) and Germany 1918-1990. Year 13 we do 20th Century Government intervention and USA boom and Bust.

We claim that there are links between GCSE and GCE so students can focus a little bit more on A level skills while deepening and extending their knowledge. Also that the units themselves offer similar ideas - why do governments step in?

#6 Jenjane

Jenjane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:06 PM

Also make sure that it is well resourced, both from a textbook point of view and the possibility of you being given money to fund it if necessary. I have made both of these mistakes. Not fun.
Also consider what the knowledge base of your department is and if there is time available to learn new content/ they're willing to do it if you're going to bring in radical changes.
Jane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users