6 replies to this topic

#1 johnwayne

johnwayne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:26 AM

hi all - does anyone know where / from whom I can possibly get more than 10% discount from for these great text books. thanks

#2 Mark H.

Mark H.

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:47 AM

We are buying some of these. They are no longer Folens but part of Oxford University Press. All the local school book suppliers in the Manchester area seem to be offering 15 or 20% off, 20% usually for larger orders. Depending on where you are a bit of phoning around should produce the same result.
I think that they're generally very good, with some smart ideas, but do contain the odd factual error which I'm surprised have been carried over into a 2nd edition of e.g. the World Study After 1900 book. Maybe there aren't that many pedantic people like me about!

Edited by Mark H., 17 June 2011 - 08:48 AM.

In memory of my boyhood hero Jim Clark (1936-1968): 'Chevalier Sans Peur et Sans Reproche'.

#3 bemused1

bemused1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:38 AM

Try via Brynteg Books (I've used these) or Turner books (haven't used these)- they usually have deals at various times.

#4 Mark H.

Mark H.

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:53 PM

I got 20 from the main school supplier Diane Schofield Ltd but Northern Books also offered 20 and Browns 15.
In memory of my boyhood hero Jim Clark (1936-1968): 'Chevalier Sans Peur et Sans Reproche'.

#5 Elle

Elle

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:29 PM

I tend to ring my local rep and beg for a discount. I tell them how many books I want, and lie about how much money I have! Sometimes I have to say that SLT have given me another 100 but normally I get between 20 and 25% off... I felt really bad the first time I did it, but in reality I think the reps are used to it. I now don't pay full price for any textbooks.

You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

#6 RichardMcMann

RichardMcMann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:06 PM

i have a set of folens gcse medicine through time for sale 25 copies used for a term and now not needed.

#7 CD McKie

CD McKie

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:19 PM

I usually find Brynteg and Browns pretty good for discounts.
To you who call yourselves men of peace, I say: You are not safe unless you have men of action on your side.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users