13 replies to this topic

#1 debra g

debra g

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:05 PM

Hi all

I organised my first outside visit from a speaker last week - Rudi oppenheimer. He was absolutely brilliant. I'd like to organise more in the future - any ideas / can anyone recommend a speaker? Doesn't necesaarily have to be history - I think it's something we're going to do school wide.

Thanks

Debs

#2 Jenjane

Jenjane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:51 PM

Hi all

I organised my first outside visit from a speaker last week - Rudi oppenheimer. He was absolutely brilliant. I'd like to organise more in the future - any ideas / can anyone recommend a speaker? Doesn't necesaarily have to be history - I think it's something we're going to do school wide.

Thanks

Debs

Richard Knight for world war I sessions. Pitched perfectly.
We have him every year!
Jane

#3 johnwayne

johnwayne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:57 PM

absolutely agree - richard knight is a legend with his company khaki on campaign!!!

#4 Tony Fox

Tony Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:47 PM

For those in the North, a good friend of mine, with a huge range : John Sadler
http://www.johnsadler.net/
What is not mentioned is that he is a Fellow of the IWM in Holocaust Education also

Edited by Tony Fox, 21 June 2011 - 09:48 PM.

"A parent can bring a child into this world, but a child can bring a parent into the world to come." - from the Talmud

"Had Churchill been a stable and equable man, he could never have inspired the nation. In 1940, when all the odds were against Britain, a leader of sober judgement might well have concluded we were finished. - Anthony Storr

#5 BarbaraH

BarbaraH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:27 AM

History Squad with Kevin Hicks is fantastic. http://www.historysquad.co.uk/ Lots of military re-enactment.

#6 Jeremy H

Jeremy H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:56 AM

We have had a visit from Christine Burn of the Lunchbox Theatre Company for the past 5 years. She performs a 1 hour play on conditions in the factories during the Victorian Period - featuring a march for the 10 hour day with Richard Oastler. It fits perfectly into our Year 8 scheme of work on the Industrial revolution. She also runs 1 hour History/Drama workshops for the students. She charges roughly £7.20 per student for the play and the workshop - obviously less for just the play. She is based in the North West but will travel - I am in Hampshire. Let me know if you'd like any further information - strongly recommended.

Edited by Jeremy H, 22 June 2011 - 08:57 AM.

#7 paul29

paul29

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:00 PM

Hi Debra,
Could you tell me how you got in contact with Rudi to book him for a talk?

thanks
Paul

Hi all

Thanks

Debs

#8 paul29

paul29

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:00 PM

Hi Debra,
Could you tell me how you got in contact with Rudi to book him for a talk?

thanks
Paul

Hi all

Thanks

Debs

#9 HollyS

HollyS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:23 PM

I had Rudi in last year and he was great - we went through the HET website and contacted the education people. They send you a form to fill in and can provide an educator as well

HollyS

#10 debra g

debra g

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:15 PM

~Oh sorry - I don't how but I completely missed this. I actually got in touch via a parental contact, I was going to go down the HET route before that though.

#11 paul29

paul29

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:35 PM

Thanks for your responses, I have contacted the HES and I hope they will be able to sort us out a speaker :)

#12 Ellie Schofield

Ellie Schofield

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:08 PM

Hi, I'm trying to find a speaker to come in and do a re-enactment/workshop for my year 11 students. They'll soon be starting the Edexcel Transformation of Surgery unit, and I'm after something to get them really interested. All the speakers I've come across so far seem to focus on medieval and tudor medicine. Does anyone have any contacts?

Any advice is much appreciated!

#13 Andrew Spooner

Andrew Spooner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:46 AM

If you are teaching WW1 and require an exciting day in school then a you may wish to try this

http://www.skylarkba...n/education.htm

Andrew Spooner

Edited by Andrew Spooner, 20 January 2012 - 10:49 AM.

#14 Jim Belben

Jim Belben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:03 PM

For a different take on this have you seen this enterprise 'Inspiring the future' - who appear to have just fixed up a visit from one Bill Gates to Deptford Green school!

@HodderHistory
www.hoddereducation.co.uk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users