22 replies to this topic

#16 Malarvilie

Malarvilie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:40 AM

I'd also add that us historians are an argumentative bunch of so and so's (my other half would agree). We have been trained to argue and question. Holly, don't let it put you off. I think the work you ahve done is fantastic and will definitely be passing it on to my colleagues in my school.

Mal
......I have the body of a weak and feeble woman
but I have the heart and stomach of a King!

#17 HollyS

HollyS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:24 PM

Thanks - caught me at a low point!
HollyS

I'd also add that us historians are an argumentative bunch of so and so's (my other half would agree). We have been trained to argue and question. Holly, don't let it put you off. I think the work you ahve done is fantastic and will definitely be passing it on to my colleagues in my school.

Mal

#18 Ed Waller

Ed Waller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:33 PM

First of all can I say a big thanks to Holly for the SoW..

It's been a pleasure to read the debate, too. Mal is right to point out that historians argue quite a bit.

Ultimately it is impossible to find a label for these islands that it devoid of connotation, and therefore devoid of (the potential?) to offend/upset/annoy. I suspect that in the fullness of time (i.e. just about when we are trying to write/implement linear GCSE schemes of work) we'll have another set of NC 'guidelines' that we can row* about further (and probably less among ourselves than with others)

The debate we are having here would fit very well into a set of lessons on representation/interpretation. The term "British" only truly gains potential to be offensive when linked to the word "Empire" (and hence the view that it is anglocentric) because it came to mean a lot more than just being a convenient way to refer to a few bits and pieces off the European mainland. It's not really about Angles and Saxons and Vikings and Romans and Caledonii and Brigantes and Iceni and Ikea and their various genetic-cultural-social-political (etc) legacies.

You could see a good project somewhere devising an appropriate name for the "British Isles" that followed on from Holly's sow, rather like the SHP 8 book asks students to give it a name...(5 please Ian!)

*the benefit of being a set of islands...
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. - Groucho Marx

#19 caldwell

caldwell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:07 PM

I wouldn't worry.
Who was it said: 'Publish and be damned!'

Commonly attributed to the Duke of Wellington, I believe.

I thought it was Rebekah Wade/Brooks...

Nice one !

#20 Tony Fox

Tony Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:34 PM

I'd also add that us historians are an argumentative bunch of so and so's (my other half would agree).

I don't think she would
"A parent can bring a child into this world, but a child can bring a parent into the world to come." - from the Talmud

"Had Churchill been a stable and equable man, he could never have inspired the nation. In 1940, when all the odds were against Britain, a leader of sober judgement might well have concluded we were finished. - Anthony Storr

#21 JohnDClare

JohnDClare

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,190 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:49 PM

I'd also add that us historians are an argumentative bunch of so and so's (my other half would agree).

I don't think she would

To quote a famous source: that's not an argument, that's contradiction.
And you say...

#22 Tony Fox

Tony Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:49 AM

I don't think she would

And you say...

Monty Python - Argument "I could be arguing in my spare time"
"A parent can bring a child into this world, but a child can bring a parent into the world to come." - from the Talmud

"Had Churchill been a stable and equable man, he could never have inspired the nation. In 1940, when all the odds were against Britain, a leader of sober judgement might well have concluded we were finished. - Anthony Storr

#23 JohnDClare

JohnDClare

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,190 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:21 PM

And you say...

Monty Python - Argument "I could be arguing in my spare time"

No Tony - you couldn't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users