• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jordan_shipton

jordan_shipton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:44 PM

OK, so I'm going to start applying for PGCE courses when applications open in September (I want to get a place at Nottingham) and wondered what the chances are of getting a place with a 2:2. I know I have not fully gained my degree yet, and could end up with a 2:1. I was 1% off getting a 2:1 for the 2nd year overall, but got 2:1 in 1st year so I know I am fully capable of gaining a 2:1, but I'm just panicking about my grade.

#2 neil mcdonald

neil mcdonald

Neil McDonald

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:00 PM

This is just my opinion but, getting a 2:i is a critical aspect. Many of my cohort back in 1999/2000 (York) had 2:1 as a minimum (with some having masters) I honestly can't remember someone having a 2:2 but I maybe wrong. History has lots of applicants and getting a good class/div helps a good deal but it is not the most important thing. You need to show a commitment to teaching. Get into the classroom and observe. Can you suggest to local schools support for activities such as reading etc. Unpaid yes but it will show you are getting the experience. With things like the EBacc you could offer up the ability to support the History Department in a school with revision sessions after school etc.

Edited by neil mcdonald, 26 July 2011 - 08:01 PM.

Bernard Woolley: Have the countries in alphabetical order? Oh no, we can't do that, we'd put Iraq next to Iran.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bernard Woolley: That's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I give confidential security briefings. You leak. He has been charged under section 2a of the Official Secrets Act.

#3 jordan_shipton

jordan_shipton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:10 PM

This is just my opinion but, getting a 2:i is a critical aspect. Many of my cohort back in 1999/2000 (York) had 2:1 as a minimum (with some having masters) I honestly can't remember someone having a 2:2 but I maybe wrong. History has lots of applicants and getting a good class/div helps a good deal but it is not the most important thing. You need to show a commitment to teaching. Get into the classroom and observe. Can you suggest to local schools support for activities such as reading etc. Unpaid yes but it will show you are getting the experience. With things like the EBacc you could offer up the ability to support the History Department in a school with revision sessions after school etc.

Thanks for your reply. I know I have every ability to gain a 2:1 - on my Year 2 exams I actually got a 2:1 on every exam but 1, which was low enough to stop me gaining the 2:1. On the exam i did poor on, I actually found out my Granddad was terminally ill that day, so that could have effected my performance. And i have been gaining experience throughout the year. I've spent a day a week in a school for the past 6 months and I am currently in touch with AimHigher to get onto their mentoring scheme for next year.

#4 Ed Podesta

Ed Podesta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:13 AM

Thanks for your reply. I know I have every ability to gain a 2:1 - on my Year 2 exams I actually got a 2:1 on every exam but 1, which was low enough to stop me gaining the 2:1. On the exam i did poor on, I actually found out my Granddad was terminally ill that day, so that could have effected my performance. And i have been gaining experience throughout the year. I've spent a day a week in a school for the past 6 months and I am currently in touch with AimHigher to get onto their mentoring scheme for next year.

There were people with 2:2s on my course, and on the one I lectured on last year. However, I'm not sure whether this is the case this year. Truth is the numbers are getting further and further restricted by the TDA and many places therefore have many more applications than places.

This is not to say that you don't have a chance, but I think you need to make the rest of your experience really shine on your CV, as Neil says. TA work, other volunteering, youth work, all these things will help. You could also consider alternative routes such as GTP (though the competition here is high too).

If you spend a couple of years doing something else and picking up experience that will help along the way, you might find that the situation has improved. Gove's EBac policy might actually increase the demand for history teachers - you never know...

Ed.

"In the past, philosophers have sought only to understand the world. The point is also to change it." - K. Marx
"Classification is exceedingly tedious" - I. Berlin

ModernWorldGcseHistory.1.gif

OneDamnThing.1.gif

Podestaorguk.1.gif

#5 joanna-marie

joanna-marie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:38 PM

My PGCE course had very few people this year and even less for the coming year, so competition for a place is really tough. I don't know the class of degree for the people in my group but many of us didn't have history degrees (in some cases, the degree was not even closely related to history) so it might be that your education isn't the deciding factor. If you have other aspects of your experience that can counterbalance a 2:2, you should make sure that these are the focal point of your application. As much experience as you can get is great, even if its only observation days in schools.

Good luck!

#6 Tammy

Tammy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:31 PM

Ive got a 2:2 degree, similarly to you I was a few markes from a 2:1 and it has never been mentioned at all during my PGCE interview or during the course. There were also plenty people from a range of courses who had 2:2 degrees - i also met people with 3rd's :-s I think with teaching yes it is an academic profession but you could have a first class degree from oxford and be crap in the classroom - my PGCE tutor told us he selected us on a range of factors including personality as well as grades and used whether he would be comfortable with us teaching his children.

I personally wouldnt worry about it, if you dont get a 2:1 its not the end of the world :teacher:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users