#1 MissKay

MissKay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:55 PM

Has anyone else had problems with this?

We do CA1:Germany 1918-1939 and our marks were dropped across the board by up to 10 marks (raw score :blink: ). It's had a massive knock-on effect on results.

I have read the moderator's report and it highlights some weaknesses in our students' responses. We were aware of these and they were marked accordingly. The unit was planned, taught and marked by four experienced teachers and we have never ever ever had our marking altered before. We rewrote the bullet point as a question but had this approved by the subject advisor.

Has anyone else had similar problems or does anyone know the best route now? Do we contest it? Do we suck it up? We're paralysed with fear about what to do with our current Y11s' CAs. Do we get them to redo it? Can we get the Exam board to look at what we're doing with them a provide some reassurance? It doesn't bear thinking about.

#2 paul revere

paul revere

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:40 AM

It is hard to say without you giving detail of why they have taken you down. When you say you have read the moderator's report, I assume you mean the one specific to your centre. Does this not detail where the issue(s) was/were? If so and you disagree, then challenge it. However, from the experience of the A2 coursework issues of a couple of years back, I'd say most people who thought they were unfairly moderated down hadn't met certain requirements of the unit (which can be a tad contrived to meet QCA requirements or not always fully clear at first sight) and so thought their work was of standard according to the mark scheme, when they hadn't actually fulfilled certain criteria. Again, it is hard to say off the general case you describe.

As for your current year 11s, to re do it is a big job, so I'd make sure you are clear what exactly are the issues first. Ifyou aren't clear exactly why it was taken down, I'd contact someone at Edexcel.

We did Germany as our CA, so if you want anything specific on how we got our lot to jump throughthe hoops, message me.

Edited by paul revere, 22 September 2011 - 06:42 AM.

#3 MissKay

MissKay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:59 AM

Basically, the report says that our students wrote 'the rise of the Nazis' rather than 'what was the role of the SA in the rise of the Nazis?'. There is probably some truth in that, and we certainly taught it that way because of the context etc. However, studying the mark scheme, I'm at a loss as to how they could be penalised as many as 10 marks for that.

When we first taught it, I asked the exam board if I could rephrase the bullet point as 'How important was the SA in the growth of the Nazi Party between 1923 and 1933?'

They replied;

Yes - that is acceptable.

The key for students is that they make judgements - and your question will allow that. Students who merely describe will basically be Level 2, those that consider importance (extent) will be operating at Level 3/4 depending on range and depth.

So if they were meant to consider extent then they would HAVE to mention other factors in the rise of the Nazis?

Apologies for the excess of detail but I am just trying to get it all out in one place and clear in my head.

#4 Joel Thorpe

Joel Thorpe

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:21 PM

Has anyone else had problems with this?

...our marks were dropped across the board by up to 10 marks (raw score :blink: ). It's had a massive knock-on effect on results.

I have read the moderator's report and it highlights some weaknesses in our students' responses. We were aware of these and they were marked accordingly... we have never ever ever had our marking altered before.

Has anyone else had similar problems or does anyone know the best route now? Do we contest it? Do we suck it up? We're paralysed with fear about what to do with our current Y11s' CAs. Do we get them to redo it? Can we get the Exam board to look at what we're doing with them a provide some reassurance? It doesn't bear thinking about.

I know exactly what you mean! We did ours on Vietnam and my grades were altered. I was also told that I did not highlight where grades were achieved, but what can you do over and above underline student text, write which skill/level. At the end of the script I wrote a little rationale for the grades, yet this was not acceptable. I've always marked like this and have never had any doubts raised.

When you are talking about the difference in USM marks to be as narrow between A and D being so small every grade counts!! I even had to chase the exam board for the moderators report that in places even contradicted itself! I've raised this with my line manager and they agree, that there's something not quite right.

I'm at a loss.

"I've spent my money on birds, booze and fast cars. The rest of it, I squandered!"George Best

"Oh well, what the hell!!" - Hungry Joe

#5 Chouan

Chouan

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:27 PM

Same here in the Northern Ireland Paper. Told uis our marking was accurate and that the students were well prepared etc etc, then, on a sliding scale reduced marks from about 2 at 70 marks, down to 15! at below 30.
There is absolutely no explanation for this anywhere in the examiners report.

#6 MissKay

MissKay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:41 PM

It's interesting that others have had the same experience. I think we have missed the remoderation deadline. Has anyone had it remoderated?

I know exactly what you mean! We did ours on Vietnam and my grades were altered. I was also told that I did not highlight where grades were achieved, but what can you do over and above underline student text, write which skill/level. At the end of the script I wrote a little rationale for the grades, yet this was not acceptable. I've always marked like this and have never had any doubts raised.

Well, to add to your confusion, that's exactly how we annotated and it was complemented by the Mod. *shrug*

There is absolutely no explanation for this anywhere in the examiners report.

That's the problem. There doesn't seem to be any indication that the marks have been/should be reduced. We all feel completely sick about it because the current Year 11s did theirs at the end of Year 10 and we have already marked them. At the very best they will all have to be remarked and at worst they might have to completely rewrite them.

#7 cheyenne

cheyenne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:46 PM

we suffered badly too.
our marks were badly effected.
we were so shocked that we paid the 250 to have it remarked.
no joy thoough they wouldnt budge. gutted.
got a full report but again it highlights things like too descriptive etc.
i was shocked that they remarked the same group though and obviously it effects everyone. Basically we were supposed to have been too generous with our marks. Makes me worried for this year though and i am not sure quite how to overcome it.

#8 Pauntley

Pauntley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:44 PM

Hello

I just wanted to make you aware of some free regional network events we are holding on Edexcel GCSE controlled assessment - they will be taking place in December and January - details can be found below:

http://www.edexcel.c...x?editorial=524

If there is not one in your area we may put on some extra events next year and also run an online version.

There is also a guidance document for controlled assessment on the following link:

http://community.ede...oryca/7149.aspx

Best Regards

Mark Battye
Edexcel

#9 David G

David G

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:11 PM

Mark - thanks for offering these sessions, are there any plans to put any on in the east midlands? I think these might be too far for us.

#10 Pauntley

Pauntley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:52 PM

Hello

I'm seeing if I can set up an event in Birmingham and also starting to plan a date for the online event so I will post details as soon as I can.

Best Regards

Mark

#11 Chouan

Chouan

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:01 AM

Any chance of answering or addressing the comments in this thread about marks being reduced when the examiner's report states that the marking was accurate?

#12 Pauntley

Pauntley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:56 AM

Hello

If your marks were changed by the moderator the E9 moderator's report for your centre should explain why. If it doesn't, and you want me to look into it, you need to PM me your centre details or email me at historysubjectadvisor@edexcelexperts.co.uk

Thanks

Mark

#13 Pauntley

Pauntley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:40 PM

Hello

Due to popular demand we have now put on a free Edexcel GCSE History controlled assessment network event in Birmingham - details are below:

Event Code: HIST/CA/BIRMINGHAM

Event Location: Birmingham

Event Date: 13-Dec-11

Event Time: 2-4pm

Please email historynetworks@edexcel.com to book your place on this event.

Please state the event code, and include your name, school name and address, centre number, and a contact email and telephone number. Please also specify which specification you teach - Modern World (Spec A) or SHP (Spec B).

Thanks

Mark

Edited by Pauntley, 22 November 2011 - 01:40 PM.

#14 Pauntley

Pauntley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:53 PM

Hello

Our Principal Moderator for GCSE History, Cathy Warren, has created this powerpoint presentation which offers guidance for students on Edexcel GCSE History controlled assessment. Teachers may also find it useful as it explains the approach to part A and B:

http://community.ede...oryca/7546.aspx

I hope you find it useful. In case you missed it there is also a guidance document for teachers on this link:

http://community.ede...oryca/7149.aspx

Best Regards

Mark

#15 brian mccluskey

brian mccluskey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:40 AM

Hello

Our Principal Moderator for GCSE History, Cathy Warren, has created this powerpoint presentation which offers guidance for students on Edexcel GCSE History controlled assessment. Teachers may also find it useful as it explains the approach to part A and B:

http://community.edexcel.com/history/m/gcse09-historyca/7546.aspx

I hope you find it useful. In case you missed it there is also a guidance document for teachers on this link:

http://community.edexcel.com/history/m/gcse09-historyca/7149.aspx

Best Regards

Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users