14 replies to this topic

#1 HollyS

HollyS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:18 PM

Hi all - another plea really is there anyone out there who is teaching this? I would love to find someone to talk about the format of the exam and the marking of it with? Any ideas? We are doing OCR - Greeks defend themselves / Hannibal / Cleopatra and Egyptians for C/A.

Thanks
HollyS

#2 Hilary Stark

Hilary Stark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:32 PM

Hello Holly. Are you aware that OCR is facilitating cluster groups of centres for both GCSE & A Level? This entails putting you in touch with other nearby centres who are teaching things similar to you so that you can discuss matters of common interest/concern. The link for the form is here:

http://www.ocr.org.u...equest_form.pdf

If you want more info on it, then there are some more details here:

http://www.ocr.org.u...m_june_2011.pdf

#3 HollyS

HollyS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:42 PM

Thanks for that shall fill in immediately
HollyS

#4 Hilary Stark

Hilary Stark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:18 PM

Have just received this email from OCR about a summer school for GCSE Ancient that may be of interest. Have attached it as it is pretty long to copy and paste into the thread

Attached Files

Edited by Hilary Stark, 01 December 2011 - 02:19 PM.

#5 JohnDClare

JohnDClare

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,190 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:16 PM

Hi - I have been coaxed out of retirement to teach this to two (terrifyingly) clever young men.
I am studying as i go along, trying top keep ahead of them!
I am (humbly) posting what I have done/am doing on the History Help forum, lesson by lesson.
Not sure how interesting/how much use it will be to you, and necessarily erudite, but it's there for anyone who wants it...

#6 Lee Hall

Lee Hall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

Hi folks. We just started teaching this last September and the first year was a big success. Like Holly we do Greece and Persia/ Hannibal and Clepatra. Currently in our second year and i'm finding it more difficult ot engage them in the Herodotus aspect of the course. Have tried jigsawing, blowing up sources in big and sticking them around the room and many other ways to try and break up monotony but finding it a bit tougher to keep them going! Would love a discussion on resources/ideas.

#7 HollyS

HollyS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:43 PM

If you want to pm me we can have a chat or share some resources
HollyS

#8 Lee Hall

Lee Hall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:30 AM

Sounds good to me. Obviously much of it was resourced as we went along last year and as such I am looking to re-visit things that didn't go so well. We teach GCSE to Years 9, 10 and 11 across just the one year so it's certainly a challenge. Currently looking at Battle of Marathon with them. Tried to enliven Herodotus by sticking extracts round the room to evaluate but some finding it pretty tough! Think I was spoiled with last year's group...

My email is:

Let's find a starting point!

Edited by JohnDClare, 09 July 2012 - 07:57 AM.
To remove email address

#9 JohnDClare

JohnDClare

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,190 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:05 AM

If you will forgive my presumption, Lee Hall, I have removed your email address - I am unsure whether this is or is not still a forum 'rule' but, whatever, it is simply unwise to openly display your email address on a public internet forum.

May I ask you instead to use the system of personal messaging. If you click on HollyS's name and go into her profile, you will be able to send her a message (button upper right).

I am aware that this sounds dreadfully partonising and I can only ask your indulgence.

(PS when I go into a profile I can see the email address! I think this is because I am an administrator. I hope so. I am aware that Andrew has renewed the forum recently and if everybody can see everybody's email address when they look at a profile I appreciate that I am going to look very silly!!! Whatever, I mean it all for the best! :) )

#10 Lee Hall

Lee Hall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

Thanks John, wasn't sure if it was 'allowed' or not. I've been a lurker on these forums for way too long and am a bit too eager to get involved I guess!

#11 JohnDClare

JohnDClare

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,190 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:59 PM

OK, I am now doing this, and - as always - I am putting my stuff, such as it's worth, onto the web.

I'm quite pleased with my latest effort - a blog on the Murder of Philip II - but you can get the rest of my Alexander-stuff-as-it-develops here.
I also keeping a live ongoing lesson plan on the History Help forum.

Anyone is welcome to anything they want.
And - if you spot me making a dreadful error - PLEASE tell me!

#12 Ben Lovett

Ben Lovett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:29 AM

Thanks Six Star General, this is going to be a super help to me when I start teaching this, a massive thank you.

Can I ask, what are the other options you have chosen?
cheers
Fivesmaster

#13 JohnDClare

JohnDClare

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,190 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:20 PM

Thanks Six Star General, this is going to be a super help to me when I start teaching this, a massive thank you.

Can I ask, what are the other options you have chosen?
cheers
Fivesmaster

Maybe being a Six Star General will help me understand Alexander's campaigns?
;)
(Unfortunately I think it's just something you get when you've made more than a certain number of posts.)

As to what we'll be doing next, I will be asking the pupils to choose, and then trying to keep a lesson ahead of them!
Personally, I would prefer Hannibal and Agrippina; I think I will get Hannibal, but fear I'm going to get stuck with Cleopatra - we'll see.

If it's any help, I'm enjoying the course immensely, and so are the pupils.

I'm nervous about the Controlled Assessment, because I've never done one before.
If anyone has some good advice, I'm all ears...!

#14 JohnDClare

JohnDClare

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,190 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

I've been Intensely busy recently on Hannibal for the OCRAncient History GCSE course.

Help yourself:

* or, to be more precise, 'post-modernist' essays

#15 HollyS

HollyS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

You are amazing John thank you so much!
HollyS

0 user(s) are reading this topic