1 reply to this topic

#1 Roy Huggins

Roy Huggins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:07 AM

Hi Folks,

I've been reading through the consultation document from Ofwat on GCSE Reforms. http://comment.ofqua...tory-documents/ Check this out:

We are proposing to change this to the following.

For subject awards up to and including summer 2013, unitised specifications must:

i.contain a maximum of four assessment units in a single award
ii.allocate a weighting of at least 20% to each assessment unit
iii.allow only one re-sit of an assessment unit with the better result counting towards the qualification
iv.allocate a weighting of at least 40% to terminal assessment
v.ensure results for a unit have a shelf-life limited only by the shelf-life of the relevant specification.

For subject awards after summer 2013, unitised specifications must:

i.contain a maximum of four assessment units in a single award
ii.allocate a weighting of at least 20% to each assessment unit
iii.require that 100% of the assessment is terminal
iv.not permit unit results to be carried forward from one examination series to another, except in the following cases:

a.where those units have already been used to aggregate to a GCSE single award and a candidate wishes to re-use the unit result to aggregate to a double award in the same subject, or

b.where a candidate wishes to carry forward the result from one or more controlled assessment units which have already been used to aggregate to a GCSE single or double award in order to re-take a whole qualification.

Does the last bit mean that a class can recycle or reuse teh results from the old specification for the new one from 2013?

Kind Regards

Roy
"Men are disturbed, not by the things that happen, but by their opinion of the things that happen." - Epictetus

#2 Neil DeMarco

Neil DeMarco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:58 AM

To be honest, Roy, I couldn't understand any of the summary you quote. How can there be changes for candidates entering in 2013 when they have already started the GCSE course under the current specs? Does 100% terminal assessment requirement after 2013 mean the end of all coursework and its tiresome, bureaucratically burdensome and specious progeny, Controlled Assessment? Let's hope so.
"Lesson planning is best undertaken when walking from the staffroom to the classroom. More detailed planning, by walking more slowly."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users