• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 diane123

diane123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:22 PM

I know this is not History but the grading is the same. We were told today that one of our pupils received the best grade IN THE WORLD for her IGCSE Sociology. We are a Cambridge school and I would just like to know if it is possible to be the best in the world. I just find it really strange Cambridge would do that. Am I wrong?

Edited by diane123, 25 October 2011 - 01:23 PM.

#2 Mark H.

Mark H.

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:32 PM

It's not related to that old chestnut 'one of the top five marks in the country?' People used to assume it meant one of the top five individual marks in the country whereas in fact it meant that you were one of the maybe many people who got say 100/100, 99/100/, 98/100, 97/100 or 96/100. That could amount to several hundred actual students.

Edited by Mark H., 25 October 2011 - 02:01 PM.

In memory of my boyhood hero Jim Clark (1936-1968): 'Chevalier Sans Peur et Sans Reproche'.

#3 JohnDClare

JohnDClare

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:34 PM

iGCSE is the international GCSE - it is an international qualification undertaken by pupils all over the world.
I presume that Cambridge did not mean that she got the best Sociology mark in the world, because the different exams would not be comparable.
What they presumably mean is that she obtained the highest mark of all pupils taking that exam.
Which in practice - seeing as it is a qualification taken by pupils from all over the world - justifies the accolade: 'highest mark in the world'.

If I were being mean-spirited,and I would want to know how many pupils took the iGCSE Sociology exam, and thus how many pupils gaining the highest mark involved beating.

But please let's not take anything away from the pupil's exceptional achievement, and if the phrase 'highest mark in the world' gives it a bit more eclat, all the better!

#4 diane123

diane123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:08 AM

iGCSE is the international GCSE - it is an international qualification undertaken by pupils all over the world.
I presume that Cambridge did not mean that she got the best Sociology mark in the world, because the different exams would not be comparable.
What they presumably mean is that she obtained the highest mark of all pupils taking that exam.
Which in practice - seeing as it is a qualification taken by pupils from all over the world - justifies the accolade: 'highest mark in the world'.

If I were being mean-spirited,and I would want to know how many pupils took the iGCSE Sociology exam, and thus how many pupils gaining the highest mark involved beating.

But please let's not take anything away from the pupil's exceptional achievement, and if the phrase 'highest mark in the world' gives it a bit more eclat, all the better!

Thanks for that. Yes I would agree to let her keep her achievement. The school does come out with crazy things which is why I questioned her mark. They say too they have proof of being the best school in the country despite the fact we know it isn't and I just wanted to know if it was possible. Thanks

#5 alison denton

alison denton

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:14 PM

Get it into the school newsletter pronto, with your department on as well.
Piece in the local paper?.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users