#1 Chris Garratt

Chris Garratt

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:22 AM

Hi all,

Wondering what people's views are on this; my wife started at a new school in January this year after a period of absence due to maternity leave. As such she was told that there would be no PM in the period January to October. I wasn't sure this was right, especially as there were no schemes of work in place etc so she was having to write them - could this not have been part of the PM process? Now we come to yesterday (deadline day for this year) and despite having two meetings scheduled with her HoD before half term(both cancelled by the HoD) she has now not had any targets etc. set for this year.

Like me she would be expecting to go onto UPS3 at the start of next academic year but as this is reliant on two succesful PM cycles she clearly can't. I'm hoping that the Head might be able to complete the cycle January-October (2011) in retrospect and then give targets for this year (2011-2012), meaning she can go through at some point in 2012-2013. Does this sound reasonable? Any thoughts greatly appreciated - Head is not an overly supportinve or easy guy to talk to so she will feel very awkward about the whole thing!

Many thanks
All I ask for is the chance to prove that money won't make me happy. Spike Milligan

#2 Hannah W.

Hannah W.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:11 PM

How long has it been since her last place of work? Maybe they would use her performance management cycle at the last school? You are not being unreasonable and she will have to make it clear to her head of department that performance management is essential in order for her to progress on the payscale. I would also suggest that in the meetings and targets she does some things which obviously meet the post threshold standards so that the head can see clear evidence she is meeting them.

She should probably talk to her HoD first if she can before going to the Head teacher! If the HoD is no help.... a quiet word with SLT line manager - surely all the PM paperwork should have been submitted to the Head teacher by now, shouldn't somebody be chasing the HoD?
stock your mind, it's your own house of treasures and nobody else in the world can interfere with it

#3 jude

jude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:09 PM

I had a similar problem with UPS3 (though I haven't moved schools). I spoke to the Assistant Head in charge of PM and he told me that it was at the discretion of the Head Teacher. The Head Teacher awarded me UPS3 in September anyway due to the fact that there was enough evidence from my work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users