5 replies to this topic

#1 Sarah V.

Sarah V.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:46 PM

Hi all,

Some of our students are sitting this exam as a resit on Monday.

We've gone over most stuff relating to the topic that we can think of...monasteries, hospitals, Black Death, dirty towns etc, but struggling a little to come up with many ideas on what the final 'debate style' question could be...

Perhaps something along the lines of 'Medieval Public Health didn't improve mainly due to...' Do you agree?

Anyone got any ideas?

We've got a revision session on Saturday so wanted to try and go through a few possibilities with them...(short notice I know! ;) )

Thanks!

Sarah

#2 Sally Thorne

Sally Thorne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:32 PM

We've got students doing this paper too, but the Crime version. We've also been crystal-ball gazing and we are thinking it might be a case study of a particular place. Having been to one of Colin Sheppard's feedback meetings (which was excellent) he seemed to be quite keen on themes, and I get the impression the Middle Ages is his favourite so it could be something obscure for Medicine; the last Medieval Crime paper 2 we had was unexpected (Women, I think). There was an OCR paper 2 many years ago on the role of the church/monasteries in Medicine. I can root around for a copy if you don't have one and scan it for you tomorrow.

Sheppard also said that spending time covering the knowledge was not time well spent, and that it is better to go over source skills with them. We have prepped ours for paper 2 using past papers from three different time periods and, touch wood, this is the most confident I've ever felt. I've written a handful of exemplar answers for each question on a paper and asked them to put them in best-worst order, and pick out the best features of each one.

I have some more paper 2 tips from the feedback meeting if it would be helpful, but I think I've strayed from your original question now :blush: just feeling evangelical about it because it seems to have worked so well this year. The proof will be in the results, though, of course.

#3 Sarah V.

Sarah V.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

We've got students doing this paper too, but the Crime version. We've also been crystal-ball gazing and we are thinking it might be a case study of a particular place. Having been to one of Colin Sheppard's feedback meetings (which was excellent) he seemed to be quite keen on themes, and I get the impression the Middle Ages is his favourite so it could be something obscure for Medicine; the last Medieval Crime paper 2 we had was unexpected (Women, I think). There was an OCR paper 2 many years ago on the role of the church/monasteries in Medicine. I can root around for a copy if you don't have one and scan it for you tomorrow.

Sheppard also said that spending time covering the knowledge was not time well spent, and that it is better to go over source skills with them. We have prepped ours for paper 2 using past papers from three different time periods and, touch wood, this is the most confident I've ever felt. I've written a handful of exemplar answers for each question on a paper and asked them to put them in best-worst order, and pick out the best features of each one.

I have some more paper 2 tips from the feedback meeting if it would be helpful, but I think I've strayed from your original question now :blush: just feeling evangelical about it because it seems to have worked so well this year. The proof will be in the results, though, of course.

Thabks for replying Sally! Some great tips!

Good to know that Colin Sheppard thinks source skills is best use of time - pretty much what we have been doing. Then just going over general points on public health and medieval medicine.
If you do have time to send me a scanned copy of that monasteries paper - that would be great! (sarah.carter@georgesalter.com) but don't worry if not.

Just going to look at more source skills and possible suggestions of questions that could come up in their revision session tomorrow.

Thanks again

Sarah

#4 JenniferJames

JenniferJames

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:26 AM

Hope it went well. You're committed to go in on a Sat!
We've focused on source skills but I'm not confident until we've done a lot of knowledge 'context' work as I feel they expect that and it makes the kids more confident.
I've bet my colleague 20p that the Fountains Abbey source is coming up- anyone else want a piece of the action?!

#5 Sally Thorne

Sally Thorne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:09 PM

I'm really sorry, I didn't come back in time to be of any help :blush:

How was it in the end? Our smuggling paper was quite nice. Glad to see the "Watch the Wall" source I went through in class came up. The pupils seemed quite confident. Fingers crossed!

#6 JenniferJames

JenniferJames

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:49 AM

I thought the one source on an argument over the site of a privy (and hence the question on it) was quite difficult to understand. A lot of our pupils admitted to 'missing it out' (think it was qu 3). That means a lot of C's will be D's maybe. However, I thought the rest of the paper was quite fair!Really like 'having a go' at this paper in Jan- gives them a real understanding of the time constraints and it's not the end of the world if they don't pass it. Similarly, it's not unitised (they'd have to revise the whole of Medicine for paper 2 in June anyway)so I don't feel like we're cheating. Really hope they somehow keep this in as it's not a traditional re-sit.
J x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users