2 replies to this topic

#1 Ms Ali

Ms Ali

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:09 PM

I would like to ask some help of WJEC experts, of whom I have seen many on these forums! I am unsure about entries for the GCSE (B ) paper as it has 4 modules, but it looks like you can only enter units 1 and 2 together, as one single paper/ sitting. Is this so? I want to know if I can enter for Unit 1 only (Depth Study - Germany) in summer 2012, or whether I have to enter both at the same time (2 hours, units 1 & 2). And if the students resit this paper, does it count as two papers, or one overall: if students resit, having done better on one module than the other, say unit '1', will their best mark from that paper be counted, or their mark for '1' and '2' overall?

It seems to me as though there are two exams, one of one-hour and one of two hours (two depth studies), and controlled assessment. But I would be grateful for anyone who can resolve this definitively!

Am moving from Edexcel, and suffering from softening of brain symptoms from too much exam analysis.

Edited by Ms Ali, 31 January 2012 - 09:10 PM.

#2 beth orpin

beth orpin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:25 AM

Hi there,
As far as I know, pupils can sit one of the in-depth papers in Year 10 if that is what you want, you don't have to sit the two in-depth papers together. It counts as a separate mark and is not counted along with the other in-depth paper.(The four components including Controlled Assessment all count for 25% each). Even though on the exam time table it says a two hour exam, it is actually two one hour exams. If pupils do re-sit, then the best mark will count.
Do you teach in Wales? The modular approach is staying for the time being in Wales, but if you teach in England (and still do WJEC) modular exams are ending anyway.
One call or e-mail to Phil Star at the WJEC will confirm everything you want to know!

Beth

#3 Ms Ali

Ms Ali

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:07 PM

Hi there,
As far as I know, pupils can sit one of the in-depth papers in Year 10 if that is what you want, you don't have to sit the two in-depth papers together. It counts as a separate mark and is not counted along with the other in-depth paper.(The four components including Controlled Assessment all count for 25% each). Even though on the exam time table it says a two hour exam, it is actually two one hour exams. If pupils do re-sit, then the best mark will count.
Do you teach in Wales? The modular approach is staying for the time being in Wales, but if you teach in England (and still do WJEC) modular exams are ending anyway.
One call or e-mail to Phil Star at the WJEC will confirm everything you want to know!

Beth

Thank you! Problem solved - Phil Star is the man with all the answers (but you were right on all counts - sadly I am not in Wales though, so it's all change again in these parts!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users