• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Thomas Dylan Snowden

Thomas Dylan Snowden

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

I have so far had two unsuccessful interviews for a PGCE in Secondary School History.

I was therefore wondering if anyone had any suggestions for books to read before my next interview.

The books that I have read up to now are -
Neil Smith, The History Teachers Handbook (2010)
Julia Murphy 100 + Ideas for Teaching History (2007)

I also been reading every day through the education page on BBC News and buying the TES magazine for a number of weeks.

Any help would be appreciated

#2 Giles Falconer

Giles Falconer

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:34 PM

It's a long time since I trained so whar I was reading would be long out of date, however I do suggest looking at as many copies as you can of 'Teaching History' (http://www.history.o...index.php?id=43) - and, of course, following up discussions on this forum!

Good luck!

#3 Will M

Will M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

The reading you're doing all seems to be in the right area, so I won't suggest any more books, PGCEs can be a right swine to get onto, but if it's what you really want to do and I'm sure it is, then keep reading those periodicals, keep reading the conversations on here (many of which contain some awesome ideas), look at some other websites such as http://www.thinkingh...co.uk/index.php and whenever you can, get into your local schools talk to teachers and students and observe what is going on on a day to day basis in history classrooms. Good Luck! Keep at it and let us know how you get on...

#4 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:33 PM

Best thing to do would be get as much in classroom experience as possible.

Reading wise - join the Historical Association and you can then access the full archive of "Teaching History" which is great.

#5 Thomas Dylan Snowden

Thomas Dylan Snowden

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

Thank you everyone for your feedback it is all very helpful.

I have bookmarked the websites that you have advised and looked through them. They both look very good and the exact thing I was looking for.

I have already gained about a week of Secondary School experience and I totally agree it is the most important thing. I have now also been lucky enough to be accepted onto a course where I have a week or two on placement in Leicester.

I will hopefully get accepted onto a PGCE this year but if not I am hoping I can gain more experience and apply again. One of my thoughts is convincing a local high school to let me set up a dinner time of after school history club for KS3 pupils.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users