Photo
- - - - -

Livening up King John source work - any ideas?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Johnson

Tim Johnson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

Hi all,

I have just started teaching a unit on King John. I have used the excellent decision making simulation from thinkinghistory.co.uk to introduce John along with some excerpts from the Disney cartoon. I now want to deliver a lesson on contemporary accounts of John, getting the pupils to evaluate the reliability of the evidence. The problem is, every year I teach this, I feel I make it very dry and some of my pupils lose their enthusiasm and motivation. Pupils will then go on to learn the full story of John before finishing their studies of the king by writing their own, more accurate, King John song like the one in the Disney film.

I feel like the source analysis lesson(s) are the weakest ones I deliver. Does anyone have some innovative ways for teaching about the reliability of the contemporary evidence on John?

Many Thanks
Tim

#2 Alex Ford

Alex Ford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:45 PM

Hi Tim

Not sure if this is any use but have always started my History pilot Medieval Kings stuff with a sources exercise on John. This may be a bit of a repeat of what you have done already but I will give you a link to the stuff... You can pick and choose if anything is useful. The book is one that goes specifically with the OCR History Pilot and has "Raiders and Invaders" and "Medieval Kings" in the title - will try and find the proper name

Alex

Attached Files

Twitter: @apf102 @AndAllThatWeb
Web: www.andallthat.co.uk
Web: andallthatweb.wordpress.com

#3 Tim Johnson

Tim Johnson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:04 PM

Hi Alex,

Your resources are excellent and really made me rethink the order of how I teach the lessons and what I wanted to get from the evidence based lesson.

Many Thanks
Tim

Edited by Tim Johnson, 21 February 2012 - 07:04 PM.

#4 suzygudgeon

suzygudgeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

Dale Bannerman's book on King John is great and full of good ideas
http://www.amazon.co...29854800&sr=1-9

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users