53 replies to this topic

#16 Roy Huggins

Roy Huggins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

Hi Lesley Ann,

I agree that the page lesson plan would be a nightmare if you had to do it every lesson. Legally the school can only ask to see your lesson notes, which can take any form that you choose. As union rep, I managed to negoiate a much more pratical solution which involved handing in lesson notes with aims, objectives and differentiated outcomes. If you get the chance, could you please upload a blank copy as it sounds like an interesting idea. For now, I'm just going to print of the class data from Sims for my Active Learning Files.

Just to double check, you explictly demonstrate differentiation and using data to plan through your proforma and your seating plan?

Kind Regards

:jester:

Edited by Roy Huggins, 15 February 2012 - 09:39 PM.

"Men are disturbed, not by the things that happen, but by their opinion of the things that happen." - Epictetus

#17 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:50 AM

Hi Lesley Ann,

I agree that the page lesson plan would be a nightmare if you had to do it every lesson. Legally the school can only ask to see your lesson notes, which can take any form that you choose. As union rep, I managed to negoiate a much more pratical solution which involved handing in lesson notes with aims, objectives and differentiated outcomes. If you get the chance, could you please upload a blank copy as it sounds like an interesting idea. For now, I'm just going to print of the class data from Sims for my Active Learning Files.

Just to double check, you explictly demonstrate differentiation and using data to plan through your proforma and your seating plan?

Kind Regards

:jester:

Hi Roy

Your lesson notes negotiation sounds far more do able and sensible than the 1500 to 2500 word plans I was producing whilst in SM - to be fair Ofsted did keep walking off with my detailed plans, smiling and asking 'can I keep this example?' I had NO LIFE during SM - hence disappearing for some 18 months - We needed someone like you to negotiate the lesson notes.

I'll upload the proforma in the morning. I designed it this half term with 'no notice inspections' in mind.

The proforma identifies the SEND student by their initials (privacy) - it states SA or SA plus - their need - e.g. SA weak literacy including Reading age/spelling age
then some generic differentiation that is available to them in every lesson for them - dictionary available, break down learning into smaller parts, repeat instructions, spelling lists, record HW, netbooks available, differentiated SMOG tested work materials, foundation books

This means on the main lesson plan - you can then add any other specific differentiation you may have for the tasks involved in that lesson.

The proforma should also have room for any GnT students again initials then state what differentiation/challenge is available to them

Seating plan - I run my off a PPT slide - it states KS3 target or FFTA GCSE - all my desks are set out so the children are sat in learning groups. SEND names are in a different font or in bold - so using the initials on the proforma to a different font/bold on seating plan - they can cross reference - it protects the privacy of the child, The seating plan can also identify GnT with a symbol or star next to their name. I think identifying the SEND/GnT and target is enough on the seating plan.

I think a spare file of this information in duplicate - 2 proformas, 2 seating plans, 2 markbook lists - so when the no notice comes your file is ready to rock and roll.

I think I read that you said that you also put the current level on the seating plan? I have not done that. I feel that is just too much to keep up dating on the seating plan, you would be updating it all the time. I have a class/mark book list with that information on exported from SIMS which I keep up to date after assessments. I'm sure they can cross reference that data too whilst in the classroom.

We have been advised to have class lists with the following:
FFTA target grade or NC target level,
gender,
FSM (free school meals),
SEND,
GnT,
reading age and spelling age for every child.

Marking in green pen by teacher - two stars and a wish - although I sometimes struggle with two stars but never with the wishes!
Self assessment/peer assessment by students in red pen

as promised the lesson front cover example

Best wishes
Lesley Ann

Attached Files

Carpe Diem - Seize the Day

#18 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

I've now added the example to the previous post.

Once you have this completed for each class - you can pop it in a folder and it only needs ammending if the group dynamics change with students moving in or out of the group.

Then you are free to write your lesson plans - so if you have 4 year 8 mixed ability classes doing the same topic - one lesson plan that covers the 4 classes but you have your individual class overview with the differentiation on. Of course if the task needs differentiation further you would need to state tha on lesson plan.

Time saving - is key in no notice inspections.

I cannot think of another profession that makes their workers complete so much documentation covering every minute detail of every aspect of what they do explained to justify every last bit of work - trust is missing
Carpe Diem - Seize the Day

#19 Stewart Hogg

Stewart Hogg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

Lesley Ann this is brilliant and like you say is a real time saver. Thanks very much for sharing this with us all.

#20 Roy Huggins

Roy Huggins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:32 PM

Hi Folks,

Has anyone tried implementing the actiev learning file idea yet? If so I would be interested to know how you had adapted the idea?

Kind Regards

Roy :jester:
"Men are disturbed, not by the things that happen, but by their opinion of the things that happen." - Epictetus

#21 Dave Wallbanks

Dave Wallbanks

• Admin
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:51 PM

Just to let you know my school's SMLT have used your work here and that of Lesley Ann in their discussions about preparations for Ofsted. There's been quite a bit of very positive comment passed and it is clearly something that has prompted a lot of praise and thought. Some of my school's SMLT are now members of this forum as a result of my recommendation that they look at your posts!
There is a light and it never goes out.
Go pray in my church!
http://www.nufc.com

#22 Stewart Hogg

Stewart Hogg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:43 PM

Hi Folks,

Has anyone tried implementing the actiev learning file idea yet? If so I would be interested to know how you had adapted the idea?

Kind Regards

Hi Roy.

I adapted Lesley Ann's example sheet but also included photos of the class from SIMS, as well as the SEN info from our (escellent) SENCO to include reading and spelling ages etc too.

Two weeks ago during a departmental review/inspection from LEA one of my colleagues who had done this for the class being observed was praised highly for it - the comment being that all that the observer needed was in the file. The idea has now been passed down to the LEA so will keep you posted on what they come back with on it.

Hoping to get this school wide as we are getting the full monty inspection in September (still have notice here in Wales !) although everything at the minute is in full swing with reviews, external visits from consultants etc.

Can't thank you enough for the idea and the sharig of your excellent practice - as ever.

#23 Derek Bos

Derek Bos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

I attended a training day in which Aaron Wilkes, a Head of History in Dudley, shared his experiences of a no notice inspection. I know this maybe presumptuous of me but will share his thoughts with you. He was very open with us and I am hoping he won't mind if I post his recollections of the event.It is basically alist of the types of questions asked of staff, pupils and HoDs.
Attached File  Preparing for Ofsted.doc   31K   243 downloads

#24 NeilM

NeilM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:14 PM

Hi Roy,

Very interesting and I've read this thread several times since finding it on Saturday.

Could you / would you share: "I've also tried to limit the amount I write by designing highly detailed assessment feedback sheets for each assessment aimed at different sub levels from 3b to 7c. Its a hasstle to make, but if you share the burden within the department when you review your assessment tasks it cuts down the time it takes to mark your work."

as an exemplar to show how you've done this? Is it based on 'you've achieved....to reach the next sub-levels you must..." ?

Any guidance you can offer much appreciated. I am working on templates for giving better quality feedback.

Cheers,

NeilM
NeilM

Life is an elaborate metaphor for Cricket.

We are at times too ready to believe that the present is the only possible state of things Marcel Proust (1871-1922)
The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new lands, but in seeing with new eyes. Marcel Proust,

#25 John Perkins

John Perkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

Been following this thread aswell. Thanks Derek for sharing your information. Enabled me to do a quick assessment of where we are at now and will help with my department plan that I am in the process of writing.

#26 Hannah W.

Hannah W.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

Hi, thanks Roy and Lesley Ann for your advice and the idea of the Active Learning Files/ Class context. I have made a file for one class so far but will be doing the rest this week.

In the file I have
- a seating plan with no anotations at the front
- a seating plan with anotations with a key to show FSM, SEN, EAL, G and T and current grade
- the class overview
- alist of all students showing ks2 data and target grades
- a record of assessment results
- course overviews/ outlines and exampale lesson plans
- a few examples of student work and or assessment evaulations (students self review)

I had this folder ready for my observation yesterday and the deputy head who observed me was incredbilby impressed with the idea. I'm aiming for the History department to have their learning files ready by the end of this week.

I found the process of making the file really useful because it helped to create a visual image of the class and their current and expected attainment. I also think it's good to have separate folders for each class becuase it then becomes much more personalised to that particular class rather than 'year 8, year 9' etc.

Edited by Hannah W., 13 March 2012 - 01:54 PM.

stock your mind, it's your own house of treasures and nobody else in the world can interfere with it

#27 Roy Huggins

Roy Huggins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

Check my seminar on KS3 National Curriculum Assesements / Levels for all examples of feedback sheets.

#28 Allen

Allen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:39 PM

We were one of the first schools to have a no-notice inspection (triggered by an overblown incident being in the local newspaper). The focus was meant to be on safeguarding but they went over everything with a fine toothcomb and observed A LOT of lessons. I didn't' get seen' although they saw some teachers several times in the same day (particulary the English and Maths department). I would say that it was the least stressful OFSTED I've ever been through because there is literally nothing you can do. General observations seem to be that they were looking for positives and there was good and bad feedback overall, depending on the individual member of staff.

A few people got caught out with their books not being marked. One member of staff was on a course and had left cover work. They looked at the work that had been left and went through books that were not being used but were stored in his room.

They checked classroom displays and talked a lot to students, quizzing them on whether or not they knew their targets. In some lessons they just popped their heads around the door, had a look around and went.

One thing they kept talking about was 'The Big Picture', which was really nice to see. They wanted evidence that good practice was going on on a long-term basis. They were happy that as a school we were making satisfactory progress towards our targets (of raising the A-C grades). The members of my department that were seen didn't feel like they'd done particularly well as their lessons weren't planned to 'Ofsted standards', it was just what they do on a day-today basis. However, they had good feedback and they said it was obvious that good practise was going on on a day-to-day basis.

Nobody had lesson plans to give them but they were happy with planners (we use these just to outline the topic and LO for each lesson). Even then not everyone had them to hand but this didn't seem to be a huge problem.

We were literally all sitting in the staffroom at 8am and the deputy ran in shouting 'Ofsted are at the door, everyone get out!'. To which everyone laughed and ignored her, thinking it was a joke. They'd only announced the 'dawn raids' a week before and we weren't expecting a visit so you can't get more no-notice than that. It's a challenging inner-city school (our A-C inc English and Maths is 34%) btw.

Obviously this is just a quick overview with general impressions and I think Roy's post is fantastic in getting you prepared for it. I think if you're doing the basics on a day to day basis and have evidence in pupil's books of everything you should have, you'll be ok. Before this the thought of a no-notice inspection filled me with dread and I would have said that we'd all get slaughtered. Now I think it's not too bad and takes away a lot of stress.

Hope this helps a little!

#29 Matthew J

Matthew J

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:35 PM

We went throught a No Notice inspection this week and I was one of the lucky ones who was observed. I didn't have a lesson plan to give to the inspector nor was I asked to provide one either. I did have an academic profile of the class which had information on pupil targets, current attainment, SEN, FSM, LAC, G+T, EAL and KS2 attainment which I gave to the inspector. During my feedback I was told it was a well planned lesson and nothing was mentioned to me about not having provided an actual lesson plan document. Union guidance states that lesson plans can simply involve notes in your planner and that applies to Ofsted inspections as well. In my opinion not having a lesson plan during a No Notice inspection should only be an issue if a lesson clearly wasn't planned and was judged to be unsatisfactory.

I think that No Notice inspections are a sign of things to come in the profession under this current administration and I agree with all the previous comments that the only way to deal with them is to ensure that you are fully prepared at all times which as consumate professionals we should be.

Edited by Matthew J, 24 March 2012 - 02:22 PM.

#30 Roy Huggins

Roy Huggins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:41 PM

Hi Folks,

Observed by a HMI inspector today using the new criteria and got a full 'outstanding' - they loved my active learning file.

I've attached my lesson plan below. I've deleted any references to my students or school!

Attached Files

Edited by Roy Huggins, 27 June 2012 - 07:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users