20 replies to this topic

#1 Roy Huggins

Roy Huggins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:57 PM

Hi Folks,

Please find attached some professionally produced National Curriculum AFL resources produced by Andrew Hill. He drew upon the existing practice wihin the department to produce the attached materials, which are absolutely outstanding. There is something for everyone to draw upon and use. Whenever I design new assessment tasks, I prefer to refer to these documents than the highly condensed National Curriculum attainment target.

Attached File  1.1 Chronology Levels.ppt   103K   593 downloads
Attached File  1.2 Cultural, Ethnic & Religious Diversity Levels.ppt   92.5K   249 downloads
Attached File  1.3 Change & Continuity Levels.ppt   114K   416 downloads
Attached File  1.3 Change & Continuity Levels.ppt   114K   416 downloads
Attached File  1.4 Cause & Consequence Levels.ppt   91.5K   270 downloads
Attached File  1.5 Significance Levels.ppt   104K   273 downloads
Attached File  1.6 Interpretation Levels.ppt   84K   260 downloads
Attached File  2.1 Historical Enquiry Levels.ppt   106.5K   241 downloads
Attached File  2.2 Using Evidence Levels.ppt   118.5K   275 downloads
Attached File  2.3 Communicating about the past Levels.ppt   85K   258 downloads
Attached File  KS3 Marksheme Templates.ppt   1.57MB   532 downloads

There are more files to go with this AFL package, but unfortunately I'munable to upload them.

We have imbedded nearly of these resources into our day to day practice and they have played a significant role in helping to move our students on and to explicitly identify their next steps to improve. I would strongly recommend that everyone should consider adopting some of these resources and making sure that they are routinely referred to if you wish to survive the no notice inspections from September.

Every student within the department has the relevant learning ladder stuck into their exercise book. I use the feedback sheets after every assessment and get students to write in their own words, what their next steps to improve are. Many of the resources in this pack make great posters and I would strongly recommend displaying them and referring to them throughout your lessons.

If anyone has any questions, then please feel free to ask. I will also add some common assessment tasks and written feedback sheets that we stick into students exercise books. They seriously help to speed up the marking and assessment process and I would strongly recommend that everyone adds these resources to their teacherís survival pack.

Kind Regards

Roy :jester:
"Men are disturbed, not by the things that happen, but by their opinion of the things that happen." - Epictetus

#2 David Bryant

David Bryant

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • 295 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:23 PM

Shouldn't there be some sort of award for all this?

Roy, thank you again for ruining my half-term. I have an awful lot of reading and thinking to do.

#3 jcstanyon

jcstanyon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

Shouldn't there be some sort of award for all this?

Roy, thank you again for ruining my half-term. I have an awful lot of reading and thinking to do.

I agree
Thanks

Edited by jcstanyon, 11 February 2012 - 08:53 PM.

#4 Roy Huggins

Roy Huggins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:55 PM

There is a lot more to follow, Andy Hill is busy working on converting the publisher files for this thread. You have seen nothing yet! We rock! Make sure you read the other threads / seminars as well as everything is interlinked!

"Men are disturbed, not by the things that happen, but by their opinion of the things that happen." - Epictetus

#5 Ed Podesta

Ed Podesta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:51 AM

These are smashing. I think they're especially useful for teachers coming up with feedback for students so that they can take the next steps. One thing tho - don't give them a level, they won't read the rest of the feedback.

"In the past, philosophers have sought only to understand the world. The point is also to change it." - K. Marx
"Classification is exceedingly tedious" - I. Berlin

ModernWorldGcseHistory.1.gif

OneDamnThing.1.gif

Podestaorguk.1.gif

#6 stephanie

stephanie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:01 AM

Amazing! :flowers:

@_miss_moss_

#7 Ed Waller

Ed Waller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

These are smashing. I think they're especially useful for teachers coming up with feedback for students so that they can take the next steps. One thing tho - don't give them a level, they won't read the rest of the feedback.

Using Roy's various materials, you could get them to read your feedback and work out what the level is...

For Example:

"Good work, Roy. You are beginning to recognise and describe the nature and extent of diversity within populations.

What Level does this relate to? Level 5

What would your target to reach the next level be?" To identify and explain reasons for such diversity in terms of cultural, ethnic, regional, linguistic, social, economic, technological, political and religious differences

Thus you get the student to become increasingly familiar with their achievements and the related targets, and have a level in their books for when SLT scrutinise the books.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. - Groucho Marx

#8 petelee

petelee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:19 PM

Outstanding, thanks for sharing.

#9 AndyH

AndyH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

Hi all!

Just thought it was best to clarify the intentions with this work and give it a fuller pedagogical context.

What Roy uploaded yesterday were what I would regard as draft documents that were intended to be used at Mexborough as a case study but I didn't get a chance to speak to him or clarify that he was uploading the full package. At the end of this post are some further materials to support assessment. Although they are only drafts made for our context and school, it goes without saying I am more than happy to support staff and students anywhere and if these make life even a little easier for people then that's a great result.

The documents of course took a quite a while to produce, even in their current state, but, I would like to think that in the future they could be refined with a view to securing support from publishing companies with a wider reach to try and come up with a model springing from good practice in History that could be extended elsewhere and in other subjects. In my experience, it is very often History that stands as the driving force for good practice and assessment cpd in the majority of schools; chiefly because of our marking workload!

With that in mind, I only would ask if you could respect the authorship and support me in making that idea a reality, if you can, by getting in touch if you have any ideas or feedback.

The basic principle behind the work was borne out of a need to make instant but meaningful feedback a central facet of teaching at Mexborough and make it easily apparent to the students where they needed to develop in order to get to the next level in a particular skill. I started with a blank canvas approach and worked with the base documents of the national curriculum and it quickly became clear that not only are they insufficient in their scope, they are also not always easily accessible for either staff or students. Obviously, I understand that teachers and, quite often circumstances, drive interpretation of assessment materials but I felt that there was scope to try and make a set of fundamental assessment materials that could serve as the foundation stone of other assessment documentation. A first port of call for both staff and students as it were.

Therefore the documents above cover all the 'current' assessment areas of the national curriculum and they have been split up so that there are cumulative statements that apply to each level. Of course the curriculum itself is not that prescriptive but I simply tried to use my best judgement to 'fill in the gaps' where necessary.

What Roy has uploaded so far are the reinterpreted level descriptors themselves and their respective learning ladders alongside a basic in class AfL assessment sheet which was used as instant feedback during informal assessment and target setting activities.

As Roy said, however, I produced a lot of other material to support the integration of this assessment policy and it was intended to be a whole package so I would of course like people to see the other areas including class posters, book inserts and complete level sheets (across all skills), marking inserts for class work as well as a host of assessments themselves.

The general idea was also 'brand' the whole process of assessment for the students so that when they saw the relevant logo or colour scheme on a document they knew to apply the appropriate skill.

However, it is perhaps most important to say that my motivation was not necessarily students in producing these materials, I have to confess that my primary focus was making life easier for those that stand in front of the desks rather than those that sit behind them. I wanted to produce a 'painless' assessment policy that could release the burden of setting up an assessment and the enormous amount of time taken to offer feedback afterwards which, as it has already been noted above, is not always received as intended.

My hope was/is that the students would come to understand the materials and become more independent in applying them and staff could concentrate on tailoring specific feedback and fine tune higher level skills rather than having to repeat lower level concepts.

I really hope that releasing this material can offer help to those new to assessment but also that those more experienced in the field can offer some constructive feedback. Thanks to those that already have.

First time poster, long time front-liner

Andy Hill

Attached Files

Edited by AndyH, 13 February 2012 - 12:28 AM.

#10 AndyH

AndyH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:42 PM

More resources to come by the way for those that want them

Andy

#11 David Bryant

David Bryant

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • 295 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

However, it is perhaps most important to say that my motivation was not necessarily students in producing these materials, I have to confess that my primary focus was making life easier for those that stand in front of the desks rather than those that sit behind them.

First time poster, long time front-liner

Andy Hill

Thank you, Andy, for the rationale behind these immensely useful resources. I trust that everyone will respect your wishes as expressed above. Wouldn't it be lovely if more people felt the way you do?

#12 Roy Huggins

Roy Huggins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:30 PM

Hi Andy,

Many thanks you are a star for sharing the rest of these resourceses. If all goes well, I should be able to post a few more examples of assessments and feedback sheets tomorrow, then its back to the trenches.

Edited by Roy Huggins, 13 February 2012 - 12:06 AM.

#13 Stobbsy

Stobbsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:46 AM

These are brilliant, I will be sharing them with our department to see if we can improve some of our levelled markschemes which are not a patch on these Carol S :thumbup Thanks for sharing

Edited by Stobbsy, 13 February 2012 - 08:46 AM.

#14 Roy Huggins

Roy Huggins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

Hi Folks,

In addition to teh resources that Andy has created for the department, I've also recently made the attached written feedback sheets based around some of his ideas.

The first is for the attached assignment on Cause & Consequence, Significance and Communication on the English Civil War

Card Sort: Attached File  Card Sort on Causes of the Civil war.doc   47K   185 downloads

Living Graph: Attached File  Living Graph - Causes of the English Civil War.pptx   987.36K   145 downloads

Living Graph Cards: Attached File  Time Line - Living Graph Causes of CW.doc   41.5K   118 downloads

Living Graph Cards SEN: Attached File  SEN - Living Graph Causes of CW.doc   40K   100 downloads

Assignment: Attached File  Causes of the English Civil War Assessment Task.doc   378K   148 downloads

Written Feedback: Attached File  Written Feedback for assessment task Cause sof The English Civil war.docx   17.18K   191 downloads

The Second Assignment is aimed at Change & Continuity, Significance and Communication. Students watch the History File Video: Britain 1750 to 1850 and then do a source investigation before attempting question 16.

Assignment: Attached File  Video Notes sheet for Intro to Industrial Rev.doc   146.5K   107 downloads
Written Feedback: Attached File  Written Feedback for assessment task Britain 1750 to 1850.docx   19.05K   139 downloads

I personally find that the level of constructive feedback that is required from Ofsted is such, that I simply haven't got the time to write detailed essays for each assignment, so cutting out the appropriate level and sticking it into their book helps to speed things up.

I was especially gutted in November when the Ofsted inspector told me on the old framework: 'the only limiting factor to you not getting an outstanding was the neatness of your handwriting in your students exercise books.' I was left with two options, :curse: or typing up my future comments.

Kind Regards

PS Signing off for now - hopefully check in a few times between now and Easter.

#15 DHartley

DHartley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:17 PM

This is great stuff - well done.

I have also attached a KS3 grid I have been using for the past few years which goes in each students folder of assessed work. By shading in what they get for each piece of work, it visually displays their achievement over the key stage.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users